1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1977 390 front fork oil question

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by oran, Nov 25, 2014.

1. oran Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    husky 390 1978 Automatic
    Hello,

can anyone give me a manual for a front fork, i need to know how much cc i need to put inside the fork and what screw's comes in the button(that you can take the oil out with them)

thanks
  2. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    There is the tech manuals here to look at. I'm not sure what forks you have but on the lower back side of the fork there is a slotted screw to drain it.
  3. PEZBerq Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    390AMX, 430XC, 240WR, 2x510TE, FE501
    The volume is not important - it's the oil level that you should use to tune.

Remove the spring and collapse the forks fully. Then fill with oil to 6 inch from top of fork tube. Try 15W oil. Then test and adjust from there. Oil weight controls damping. Oil height controls harshness/initial movement and bottom out resistance. More oil the harsher the ride. Shouldn't need much more than 500 - 600 ml total to do the job as the forks are skinny 35mm.
  4. Jeff B Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1975wr 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    yamaha ty 175,
    Don't remove the slotted screw at the bottom on the side.. The fork legs are easily stripped. Besides, if you are changing the oil, they need to come off to dump oil and wash out contaminates. I stripped one hole with little pressure. Jeff
  5. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    the slotted screw drain method leaves some crap in the fork leg as well. for some reason the screw drain is a little above the actual bottom of the leg
  6. ruwfo Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 390CR, 1982 430CR, 1984 400WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 250XC, 2016 FJ-09
    Don't remove the slotted screw at the bottom on the side.. The fork legs are easily stripped. Besides, if you are changing the oil, they need to come off to dump oil and wash out contaminates.

I agree 100%, take the tubes off the bike & drain them from the fork caps, then pull them apart to clean all the crud that's in there.
    Just remember to loose slightly the dampening rod bolt 1st, before you remove the tubes from the triple clamps. Or you'll be wishing you did when the bolts too tight & then you'll be temped to put them in vise.
  7. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    undo everything while they are in the clamps, only way to do it.... make up a long wire so you can wrap some cloth around it to swizzle out the bottom of the sliders as all the alloy crud drops onto the bottom of these and doesn't wash out easily with out manual assistance.

I find 10 wt pretty good. mix a bottle of 10 and 15 to get 12.5 for that in between feeling....