1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1976 WR250 with VM34 Mikuni

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by Marcgregory, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Marcgregory Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '76 WR250, '76 WR360, '77 360 Auto
    I picked up a '76 WR250 about two months ago and it was already fitted with a Mikuni carb. I figured it would have been a VM36 or VM38 since i feel that is the usual swap from the stock Bing. Turns out it is a VM34. I have not ran the bike much since I have been freshening it up and getting it ready for riding when the weather gets better, just a few rides up and down the driveway. Is a VM34 too small for this bike? I feel that VM34s are usual spec'd on 125s and 175s. I am just afraid that the bike isn't getting as much fuel as it should? I believe the pilot is a #35, starts good and idles good. Haven't got the bike over second gear yet, cannot remember what the main is. So far the spark plug looks good in color, but like i said, haven't gotten through all the gears yet. Thanks, Marc
  2. DPete Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1972 WR250 76' 360 WR 18' FE 450 17
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yam wr250r - Suz DRZ400s - 2 Harleys
    My 72' 250 has one, seems fine
  3. disonny Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    73 360 wr/rt, 75 wr250 78 cr250,
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 wr250, 84 wr400
    The carb size moves the power up or down. My 83 250 has poor low end and Sudco recommended a smaller carb to help. I now have a 36 on it.
    Once you get a good ride on it and feel how it runs that may tell you more. If the plug reads good, the jetting is good.
  4. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    it wouldnt be a question of how much fuel it gets, more how much air it can flow. to a point, the smaller carb will boost bottom at the expense of top altho im sure theres a point where too small will hurt bottom too.
  5. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    the bore size of the carb and the engine vacuum control the velocity that the air moves over the jets. small carb means higher velocity at low engine speeds, better atomisation of the fuel thus better initial throttle response and low end performance. at higher revs, the small bore carbs hit max flow and the engine starves for air/fuel mix as the carb just wont let and more through. too big a carb and the low rev velocity is so slow the fuel is poorly atomised and motor feels like its bogging at wider throttle openings...performs better at higher revs where the velocity through the carb is faster. much better top end as it can supply all the air the motor needs ...shimplessss
    jack topper and oldbikedude like this.
  6. Eurofreak Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1986 TE 510, 1982 CR250, 2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    70's Triumph , Bultaco , Maico, etc
    Isn't that what those venturi splitter plates supposed to do- atomize the fuel better at low rpms for large carbs?
  7. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    they help to a point but theres much more than atomization issues when talking about which carb size to use.
  8. Kartwheel68 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 125XC, 250XC, 430XC, 430WR, 250CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 175WR , 76 250WR, 74 250 Mag
    I know of several people who have 34mm Mikunis on 250s of various brands and they work fine especially if you want the power to be focused in the low/mid range. My 76 250WR has a 38mm and it runs flawlessly. I would ride the bike and see what you think first. If I had a Bing on my bike and was going to buy a carb I would probably go with a 36mm in spite of how good mine runs now with the 38mm.
  9. Marcgregory Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '76 WR250, '76 WR360, '77 360 Auto
    Thanks for all the good replies, I learned a lot! I am mainly going to use it for hilly trail riding so it looks like it will work out good because i will be needing extra low end power. Below is a pic of the bike. It was a mess when I got it. No compression, '78-'80 WR tank, mismatched petty fenders, blown Curnutts (Scott Tremblay is currently rebuilding them), crap aftermarket handlebars, all cables shot, stuck clutch. The usual for a low priced craigslist Husky. I have been making pretty good progress, luckily I had acquired a lot of new parts over the last year for a '76WR360 project that i haven't got to yet. IMG_7954.jpg
  10. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now