1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1976 360WR Restore

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by eveready, May 18, 2015.

1. eveready Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1976 360 WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    1976 honda elsinore, 84 IT490 Yamaha
    I bought a 1976 360WR that is wore out, But that is what I was looking for. The wife isn't happy but living in the garage aint that bad. I attached a pic. of what I brought home. No compression, no paint, suspension is shot, wrong seat, fenders and wheel bearings are bad. Good news is tranny seems to shift through all 6 gears. I've already tore down to the frame to get sand blasted. Bought new plastic kit, seat, gasket and seals kit, sourced a 1st over piston and ring. I bought shop manual and owners manual. Pulled the top end off and took to the machine shop, but can't find tolerence's for piston to cylinder clearence and end gap on the rings. The book tells you what's bad but not what to bore to. Can anyone give me that info.? And I need to make tools to split cases, does anyone have a paper template of these tools. Will post more pics. as it goes together. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. grouty Auto Lover ...

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    78 390WR, 78 390 AMX, 500 Humph
    Other Motorcycles:
    works 73 CCM 520, another 73 CCM520
    Nice looking project ! keep us updated with lots of pics please.

The piston manufacturer will have a stated clearance (usually written on the box). I have just bought one for my 78 390WR at 84.0mm. The Wossner spec is .08mm, but I will do it at .09mm. We bored the 390 Auto to .10mm to give it plenty of clearance as it runs so hot.
  3. Chayzed Pilot Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2004 TC450,1978 390CR,1983 430 Wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    A gaggle of them
    Your rear shocks are Curnutt's. If you are not going to use them don't throw them away, I will buy them from you. If you decide to use them I do full rebuilds and restoration on them. I really like the 76 bikes. You have a cool project there and I will follow along.
  4. eveready Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1976 360 WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    I bought the piston on ebay it was in a Husqvarna box with part# and made in Germany. No clearances.

Chayzed Pilot what do you get to redo these shocks? And how about forks?
  5. Chayzed Pilot Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    A gaggle of them
    Send me a PM please.
  6. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    73 450WR 6spd motor in a 75 MK frame
    I've had Chayzed Pilot rebuild 2 pairs of Curnutts for me, one pair gas and one pair non-gas. He helped me work through some issues with the application on a bike like yours. The man knows his stuff when it comes to Curnutts.
  7. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Ladies usually don't understand a mans attachment to motor vehicles but when she finds out what a happy boy you've become owning a new dirt bike project she'll be glad to let you back into the bedroom.
  8. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    There isn't any one set clearance that's recommended. I've seen many different numbers recommended by folks on Café Husky. I rebuilt a 75 360 last year and John at Vintage Husky recommended .005" on the piston. I've seen guys go as low as .004"

What I've learned about seizing is that the piston clearance isn't so much the problem as is improper jetting for your riding conditions and air leaks in the crankcase and intake, I can't stress this enough. A leak down test is essential to a successful rebuild. It checks the integrity of the gaskets and seals. I use a measurement of 6psi with a loss of 1psi in 5 mins. I'm sure theres other opinions on these numbers but the main thing is to correct big leaks before starting the bike. Hope this helps answer your question.
  9. eveready Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1976 360 WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    .005 sounds good to me as I'd rather error on the loose side. How about ring end gap? Will do a leak down for sure. It has a aftermarket VM38MM Mukuni on it that I'm jetting to 390 specs. to start.
  10. eveready Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1976 360 WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    Chayzed Pilot I think I sent you a message but not sure. New to forum and how stuff works.
  11. grouty Auto Lover ...

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    You will probably find you will have to come down one size on the pilot jet and lean the needle off one notch from the std 390 spec.
    That worked fine on a friends 360 after we took the Gurtner carb off.
  12. Chayzed Pilot Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    A gaggle of them

I sent you a response back. Don't know if I did it right.
  13. eveready Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1976 360 WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    Grouty so that would be the bottom notch on the needle?
  14. wrx Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1973 to 1986 husky's various models
    Other Motorcycles:
    RM -250 / Buell / Penton 400 mc5
    raising the clip or dropping the needle phrase means leaner . hope this helps . :)
  15. grouty Auto Lover ...

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I can't remember the stock needle setting for the 390, but yes, you need to go one notch leaner. As wrx said raising the clip is dropping the needle (leaner).

I know it's $$$, but the Lectron is worth it's weight in gold. Sooo much easier to set up and runs so much better.
    justintendo likes this.
  16. dumpbear Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    360wr burl rep/74works bike/76360wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    goldwing
    It looks like to me you have a77" Burleson replica. curnutts, looks like a mikuni and those alum bars look just the ones on my bike.The 76" had the metal air box cover and the mag cover is round.The round cover was put on in 77.All you need is preston petty light and a P.P mx rear fender w/light and a 24 min.VDO enduro clock,route sheet holder and a score card holder and its complete.Looks good and good luck.P.S they will eventually back in the house especially if the garage is full of husky and there is no room for you:lol:
  17. eveready Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1976 360 WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    I just run the frame # ML154xx engine 2052 2420. I think your right it's a 77.
  18. Desmoducky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1976 WR360, 1972 CR 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    1998 Ducati 916
    Have Fun!

IMG_3574.JPG

Desmo
    oldbikedude and dumpbear like this.
  19. Desmoducky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1976 WR360, 1972 CR 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    1998 Ducati 916
    You can contact Vance at Q&E machine in Anaheim Hills, California. He can tell you exactly what it has to be. He did my 1976 WR360. Just google Q&E, contact him and you'll be talking to the premier two-stroke machining maniac (expert) in SoCal.

Desmo
  20. eveready Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1976 360 WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    What a beautiful bike. Mine won't look that good i'm just refreshing it to ride in the woods. I sent Vance an e-mail for his advice on bore and ring end gap. We'll see if he answers. Thanks for the tip. Is yours a 76 or 77.