1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1976 360 front brake Lug

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by Alfie, May 13, 2020.

1. Alfie Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    76 360 WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda XR600r
    Hi,
    ive just been reading the 1976 husky service bulletin telling me that the front brake mounting Lug should always be in the Right Hand fork,
    I noticed most bikes (including Kent Howerton’s) have it in the left

does anyone know the logic here and should I swap mine to the right As the book says
    Thanks,
  2. motomwo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many vintage big bore and automatics
    They come from the factory mounted on the left side. Mounting it on the left makes the cable routing have less of a bend and less chance of the cable binding or getting kinked. Early 70's Maicos Had the front brake assembly and cable on the right side from the factory and most Maico riders today switch it to the left side.
    Usually when Husky came out with a bulletin they would state why they are making a change. What is the bulletin #?

Marty
  3. Alfie Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    76 360 WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda XR600r
    Thanks for the reply, I agree about the cable routing makes sense 04C0F87F-3877-4FF9-B040-3109FBAEF765.jpeg
  4. motomwo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I would install the front brake on the left side. Its been working good that way for over 40 years. I never noticed any with it on the right back when they were new. I understand the need to mount the speedo drive on the right side in order to keep the drive rotating in the counter clock rotation.

Marty
  5. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    73 450WR 6spd motor in a 75 MK frame
    I think Marty is right about the cable not binding on the left side. Looking at sales brochures all the bikes from 76 forward have the brake on the left side even the 82 430WR. In that pic they just routed the speedo cable to the right side.
  6. markt2 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1976 250CR (times 2)
    Other Motorcycles:
    Several vintage Yamahas
    I have a couple 1976-1/2 250CR's... It was also my first new bike. There definitely was a change... presumably sometime in 1976. Early GP models had the brake on the right side and had a shorter front brake cable.

My later 76's (then and the ones I have now) have the brake on the left side and a slightly longer front brake cable... The parts list poster that came with my bikes show the shorter cable part number which is too short with the brake on the left. The late 76 cable is too long if brake is on the right, works, but has a big loop. I've never done an exhaustive search but there are definitely two 1975-1976 front cables and I've only seen the part number for the shorter one.

A couple Husky experts (that also sell parts) have sworn to me that I'm wrong and the 76 should have the brake on the right... but I know that's not true for mine. I just made my own new cable for the one I'm currently riding.

One of the same experts also argued with me that my 76 came with green number plates (European color for 250 class). It did not. It had white plates. When I produced the pictures taken at the dealer with white plates when my first bike was new, the answer was "the dealer swapped them". One of the Husky 1976 brochures even references the white number plates as a new feature... so I know they weren't swapped and white is correct.
    Steve-F likes this.
  7. watto450 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1965 250, 1978 390 Auto, 1983 510 TX
    The white plates were only for the USA..everywhere else in the world.. green for 250's
  8. motomwo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Yep, 75 and earlier had front brake cable and brake assembly on the right side. 76 and on, the cable and brake was on the left. Important to know for a historical correct restoration. If you are going to ride the bike mount the cable and brake on the left side.

Marty
  9. markt2 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1976 250CR (times 2)
    Other Motorcycles:
    Several vintage Yamahas
    Yes, USA also got the colored plates on earlier models. Expert who insisted 1976 250 had green plates is in the USA and knew it was a USA bike. He uses green plates on 1976 restorations and puts the brake on the right side. Both are incorrect based on my personal experience. Although it is possible early 1976 models had the green plates and brake on right.

Other than that, this expert is extremely knowledgeable and very helpful with tons of parts and experience.
  10. markt2 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1976 250CR (times 2)
    Other Motorcycles:
    Several vintage Yamahas
    I agree with this if you have the original cable or have found a correct new one for the left side brake. (Or have made one). It's been a few years but finding a left side cable for a 1976 was impossible when I was looking. The commonly found right side cable from a 1975 is too short.