1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1975 Cross Country 175

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by kanur, Nov 18, 2020.

1. kanur Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1976 175 GP
    Other Motorcycles:
    Pentons & KTMs
    I've had this bike for a while now, it was going to be my next AHRMA racer. Well a big move and aging family members to take care postponed things for a while but I finally got around to rebuilding it. This is how it looked when I got it.
    IMG_1298.JPG IMG_1295.JPG
    Eurofreak and Steve-F like this.
  2. kanur Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1976 175 GP
    Other Motorcycles:
    Pentons & KTMs
    The little bike was in pretty good shape overall and ran good but was just plain ugly. I gave it a little going over, put an alloy tank on it and got rid of the bazooka pipe. I did some trail riding with it like this and used it to set up the only AHRMA cross country event that Sky High Motocross park ever had and lead the sighting lap with it. Then it pretty much sat for the next three years. P1010043.JPG P1010039.JPG
    electronplanet and Steve-F like this.
  3. kanur Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1976 175 GP
    Other Motorcycles:
    Pentons & KTMs
    Things had finally settled down and other projects were finished so now it was the 175's time. Before taking it all apart I knew I wanted to change the Lealu front hub to a conical Husky one and try Husky forks instead of the Betors. I kept the hub but decided to go with the Betor forks. IMG_2137[1].JPG IMG_2134[1].JPG
    Steve-F likes this.
  4. kanur Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1976 175 GP
    Other Motorcycles:
    Pentons & KTMs
    On with the disassembly.
    IMG_2141[1].JPG IMG_2143[1].JPG
  5. Steve-F Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1975 Husqvarna 360 CR GP
    Other Motorcycles:
    1965 Norton G15CS 750
    You have WAY too much room in that garage!!:thumbsup:;)
    kanur likes this.
  6. redman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    77 360 automatic
    Other Motorcycles:
    ec200 Gas Gas
    What year front wheel and hub did you use? I have a '77' auto with a Lealu hub and am thinking of changing it over also. Like your bike, that was my first Husky. Loved that thing. :cheers:
  7. kanur Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1976 175 GP
    Other Motorcycles:
    Pentons & KTMs
    I'm not sure what year it is. The Ankront rims on my bike had a little raised bead around the edge that seams hard to come by. I just kept watching ebay till one came up. It seems most husky rims are smooth.
  8. dieseldigger Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 420 auto, wr250, 400, 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    lots
    Where are you sourcing the "cross country" decals from? I can't seem to find them for my 360.
  9. kanur Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1976 175 GP
    Other Motorcycles:
    Pentons & KTMs
    I have not looked into that.
  10. kanur Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1976 175 GP
    Other Motorcycles:
    Pentons & KTMs
    Parts back from the powder coater and the motor painted. Time to start going back together.
    IMG_2170[1].JPG IMG_2171[1].JPG IMG_2172[1].JPG
    Steve-F likes this.
  11. DeathFromAbove My Cat Says AREAR!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    70,71 360 8s 72,74 450 73 360 73 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    66 Triumph Trophy 99 ZRX1100
    Nice work, where did you get the kicker rubber? Looks different than what I have seen. Chris
  12. kanur Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1976 175 GP
    Other Motorcycles:
    Pentons & KTMs
    I think I got that starter off ebay, it is not the one that came on the bike. You can see it in the second picture of this thread, I found it very awkward to use. I'm not real fond of this one either and will be replacing it with a 78/79 model.
  13. kanur Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1976 175 GP
    Other Motorcycles:
    Pentons & KTMs
    A few more parts added.

. IMG_2173[1].JPG IMG_2175[1].JPG

I decided to go with the round style ignition cover over the stock square one just because I like the look better.

IMG_2176[1].JPG
    gaz, Max R and Steve-F like this.
  14. DeathFromAbove My Cat Says AREAR!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    70,71 360 8s 72,74 450 73 360 73 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    66 Triumph Trophy 99 ZRX1100
  15. kanur Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1976 175 GP
    Other Motorcycles:
    Pentons & KTMs
    A little more progress. I've painted a silencer this color before and wanted to try it on a whole pipe. After painting it I wasn't so sure but after installing it I like it a lot. IMG_2246[1].JPG

IMG_2247[1].JPG
    Brian Squires, wrx and Steve-F like this.
  16. Brian Squires Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '74CR125&400, '79WR250&390, '81WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    BSA,AJS,Norton,Triumph,RT2NortonWasp
    That's a real neat project you have going on there Kanur, I have just purchased the same model bike from a guy in Oregon, completely rebuilt ready to ride, it's at Compton at the moment, to be shipped to Perth in Western Australia mid January some time. I will be doing the same mod's as you, which I have already done on my '74 CR 125 vintage Moto-x. The pipe you have put on your bike, looks suspiciously like the pipe on my '79 WR250, would that be close?? More importantly, how does it perform with that pipe, if it is the go I will track one down for my bike. Anyways keep up the great work on that 175, I can see in the background a few vintage Husky's, I have about eight in total, in various stages of restoration in my shed.
    All the Best on the year ahead, Regards Brian. IMG_8693.jpg
  17. Brian Squires Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
  18. kanur Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1976 175 GP
    Other Motorcycles:
    Pentons & KTMs
    Brian that bike is beautiful! I've kept all my stock parts in case I every want to put it back original, the only thing I don't have is the steel tank. Well, I do have one but it is on the 74 175 SC you see in the background.

The pipe is from a 1978 390 and it really livened up the little bike. I'll try to update more pictures soon.
  19. Brian Squires Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hello Kanur, Thanks for the compliments on the bike, I really do hope it goes as well as it looks, I do have some 250&390 pipes in my back shed, will give them a try once the bike arrives, It's only going into the container in the next couple of weeks, so I won't be seeing it for another ten weeks or so, hopefully in time for our Vinduro season opener.
    kanur, what is the supply like for piston kits for these 175 bikes, should I be looking at getting some piston kits to put on my back shelf for the future??
    I have a few rebuilds going on at the moment, '77 WR 250 & '81 WR 250, but the project that I am really getting into at the moment is the '83 WR/XC 175, these are such a great looking bike, but not to many around from what I can see, I don't think they came into Australia - not sure !!!, anyway i couldn't find one to buy, so I have been scouting out all the parts on Ebay, I think that I have most of the bike, if everyone I have dealt with are being honest, only need the head, barrel and piston kits, pipe I can get made. Not sure on the engine cases, as the engine tag was removed, but looking at the rest of this bike on the Ebay site it definitely looked like '83 gear. All this stuff is in the same container as the bike, so I will have to wait and see.
    Regards Brian.
    Max R likes this.
  20. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Brian,

I have a few piston kits for the 175. I had them from converting old 125's to big bores. I am away until March but will be glad to send them your way at that time.