1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1974 WR 250 with Bing 54--Rebuild kit?

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by KIM750, Apr 24, 2018.

1. KIM750 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1977 360WR 1974 250WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati M750
    I'd like to get a rebuild kit for the Bing 54 (36mm?) on my WR 250. On the flat plate of the carb it says "1/36/108." The engine number on the bike is 2037 0174.

Thanks
  2. squid on a 300 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 WR 250 79 CR 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    GAS GAS 300 Trials 2 KTMs 2 Hodakas
    Bing has some parts available for the 54
    http://bingcarburetor.com/type54-motorcycle.html

Most likely the slide is also worn (common issue with Bings)..they told me they did re-make a slide that will work but the price (which i dont remember) kinda scared me because the carb body was likely worn also ...needle jet and needle may also be worn...I put a Mikuni Conversion Kit from Chuck at Husky Junk on my 72..bolted right up just had to cut the intake manifold a bit...had to go to a 45 pilot from what it came with...its like riding a different bike...Chuck has a rebuild kit also for the Bing 54s
  3. KIM750 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1977 360WR 1974 250WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati M750
    Thanks. I'm wondering about going to a Mikuni. I just went to Huskyjunk.com, and the only thing there was a thread on a 74 250 Mag restoration. No contact information, no links, nothing else. Is there another site? Is it me or my PC? Help
  4. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    73 450WR 6spd motor in a 75 MK frame
    Mikuni is a good way to go when replacing a bing on the early vintage stuff. Good parts availability and jetting knowledge. I haven't bought one in 45 years but I recall the VM was what was recommended then, may have changed since. I think the 250 calls for a 36mm, my experience with big bores was that they use the 38.

I see them on an Ebay store, the guy will jet them to your liking. One other thing, they're not cheap.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Maico-Husq...ash=item234a23e0bc:g:kUwAAOSwxehXPcYK&vxp=mtr
  5. markt2 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1976 250CR (times 2)
    Other Motorcycles:
    Several vintage Yamahas
    After contacting Bing and almost fainting at the part prices (the cool thing is they can tell you a lot about your carb by the numbers)...

...and looking at the Mikuni's that I'm very familiar with and finding a zillion different jetting specs recommended...

I bought a Lectron for my 1976 250CR. My first but not my last. Love the "jetless" design and I have to say the bike runs better than ever. Pricey? Definitely. But the lack of hassle was worth it to me... ran great out of the box and with a couple easy and small tweaks runs *perfect*.
    2premo and Crashaholic like this.
  6. KIM750 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1977 360WR 1974 250WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati M750
    Thanks. I'm going to give the Bing another shot with the basic rebuild kit and new floats. Next is a Powerdynamo to replace the Femsa. Prepare for questions (although from the threads I've read most have been asked and answered).
  7. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Are you rebuilding your bing due to visual wear or because your bike is not running/starting right?
  8. KIM750 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1977 360WR 1974 250WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati M750
    Its not running/starting right. But the carb looks like its been apart a lot years. The bowl gasket is really flat and has a piece missing, the floats have turned a dismissal brown, and the needle looks like it might be a little worn. So, that's why. I talked to Husky John about the bike, and he pegged my problems as a failing ignition. So did a lot of the forum members here last time I asked. I got it running fine for a short period with new points and condenser, and now its barely starting/running. So, I'm going to replace the stuff in the Bing that looks bad, see how it runs, and then probably order a Powerdynamo.
  9. twowheelfanatic Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 txc250
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 honda crf250r
    when you put the mikuni on is the 45 pilot the only changes you made to carb?im here in illinios at sea level just got carb from him last night and my 74 wr250 wont start even with the 45 pilot he sent with carb.
    my bing was worn out butt bike ran and started just fine with it.any suggestions?i just finished the restore recently and trying to finish fine tune the carb.all new seals and gaskets in the engine
  10. markt2 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1976 250CR (times 2)
    Other Motorcycles:
    Several vintage Yamahas
    Something doesn't sound right (call me "captain obvious" haha). Please don't be offended by the following "basics" if you have Mikuni knowledge... these are just things I've seen (and done).

If one of the models with the separate floats on pins, sometimes the floats get put in upside down and no fuel gets into the float bowl...

Maybe the float level is off? On most Mikuni's having the float arm parallel to the carb body just as the needle closes is about perfect... (you just don't want to compress the spring if the needle is one of the newer style with the spring loaded pin on top of the float needle.)

Probably has the lever type "choke" (starting enrichener) . Pushing the lever down is "cold start" position (rich). Lever up is "run" position.
  11. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:

Changing the pilot up or down one size won't make enough difference to stop it from starting. Checkout the plug, dry or soaking wet. Is there a bright blue spark? Is the Mikuni used, could have plugged circuits? Is it jetted specifically for your 74 250 including the slide, needle jet, jet needle, and main jet? Is the fuel/air screw open or closed? If everything checks out then take a look at timing. Never assume things don't suddenly break or fallout of adjustment. Troubleshooting is a process of elimination. You just have to run down the list of components associated with what makes a motor run.
  12. twowheelfanatic Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 txc250
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 honda crf250r
    yes it has bright blue spark and runs with the stock bing carb ust not as good as it should due to worn needle and jet needle.
    got back at it today needle was in 3rd clip from top had a 310 mj as 1.5 turns out.
    long story short changed needle and mj settings runs very good.i will just needle to do plug readings now to verify that i have it set properly.
    my issue was chuck at husky junk said it would be close as he sent it to me.absolutely to lean to run.
    my settings as of now
    pj 45
    as 3 turns out
    needle 4th clip from top
    mj 320
    i could even drop pilot to 40 and it should be spot on
  13. Jeff B Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1975wr 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    yamaha ty 175,
    Chuck at huskyjunk is a great guy. But his specialty is the 250 mag. A reed valve engine. I have a 75 wr250 which is a 250 mag. 6 speed, different ignition. etc. BUT it is a 250 mag. That being said...I got a mikuni conversion for my bike. It needed fine tuning. Needed different, pilot, main, needle, needle jet and slide. The floats were O.K. Still Chuck is a great guy to have handy, I have made many purchases from huskyjunk. Never trust jetting without testing. Did you get the rubber insert for the carb bell. It is a mountain bike inner tube. They DO NOT last very long. The enrichment circuit does not like throttle when starting. twisting the throttle allows too much air. Jeff
  14. markt2 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1976 250CR (times 2)
    Other Motorcycles:
    Several vintage Yamahas

Glad you got it running! Congratulations! :applause:

Don't know Chuck at all... I like him though just because he's supporting these old bikes! I do have a lot of experience with Mikunis so I do know that one needle clip position lean and one main jet size lean is definitely not what kept it from starting... maybe a float was stuck or something else that "fixed itself" when you were making the changes? I've had weird "won't start" stuff like that happen to me. A way too lean pilot jet could have been the starting problem but it sounds like yours is actually a little rich... Anyway, it's running now and it sounds like it's running pretty good! :cheers:

P.S. I bought a "pre-jetted" Mikuni for a Honda two stroke years ago from a reputable company... It still took hours of tuning to get it dialed in and ultimately everything except the float valve needed to be changed including the slide cutaway which was huge (came with a 4.0 IIRC). That experience and the myriad of different recommended jet specs I've found for the same Bing to Mikuni conversion is why I tried a Lectron on my 76 250CR. I just don't have the patience tinker with jetting that I used to. Very happy with the Lectron... they even custom machined the Lectron dimensions so it fit perfectly. (I had and used a later factory Husky Mikuni intake manifold) Probably could buy two Mikunis for the same price but the Lectron was worth every penny to me!
  15. twowheelfanatic Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 txc250
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 honda crf250r
    the lectron sounds really nice butt pricey.
    dont get me wrong im not bashing chuck or bad mouthing him,i guess i expected it to be close not off as far as it was.there could have been more to the no start,butt the changes it lit right up.i know i have more fine tuning to do for it to be spot on butt would rather it be rich than lean any time.
    also did i read right that the lectron carb not legal in vintage class for arhma?
  16. Jeff B Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1975wr 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    yamaha ty 175,
    You are correct. The lectron is NOT legal for the vintage , 1974 and older, class.
  17. markt2 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1976 250CR (times 2)
    Other Motorcycles:
    Several vintage Yamahas
    Yes, Lectron not AHRMA legal in the early classes... and I didn't mean to come across as saying that was the route for you to take. It was best for me because I just don't have the time or patience to screw around with jetting like I used to and because even "pre jetted" the Mikunis usually still require a fair amount of tuning...

The Lectron blew me away at how great it was out of the box and how easy it was to dial it in that last little bit... just had to lean it out a touch which is easy and fast and requires no parts.

And I wish that being as little as just one clip groove on the needle lean and/or one main size lean would stop a Mikuni equipped bike from starting! Would have saved me a few pistons over the years!
  18. twowheelfanatic Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 txc250
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 honda crf250r
    i had trouble finding info on what jetting guys are using with the mikuni on here.i found quite a few 360wr post on jetting.if the lectron was legal it would be well worth the money
  19. twowheelfanatic Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 txc250
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 honda crf250r
    jetting update
    temp is in the 70,s
    42.5 pilot
    a/s 1.5 turns out
    needle 4th clip from top
    280 mj
    runs awesome from idle to just short of 3/4 throttle
    thats where it needs some changes its very rich wont keeps revving out.
    my instincts say it probably needs a different needle
    it has a 6f needle in it from chuck at husky junk.
    the 3rd clip too lean and sluggish up to half throttle andhalf to 3/4 throttle not much improvement from the 4th clip.
    5th clip or full rich feels like choke is on from 1/4 to 3/4 throttle.any suggestions?
    this is the first time ive got to got wot while riding it