1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1974 WR 250 front brake shoes

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by KIM750, Nov 25, 2016.

1. KIM750 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1977 360WR 1974 250WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati M750
    The front brakes on my recently acquired 250 WR don't work. I took the wheel/brakes apart, and the shoes/brakes were just soaked in oil. I don't know why. Anyway, I'm guessing that the shoes are shot. Where is the best place to get new shoes? EBay vendors have something called "EBC shoes." Are those shoes any good? Any other vendors I should look at? vintagehusky? vintagedirtbike parts? I'm new at this and need to figure out vendors. Thanks.
  2. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    EBC are the go. or, get your old shoes and hit them with some contact cleaner, that will remove the oil.
    hacksaw a groove down the middle of the shoes (not too deep )and then diagonal cuts every 2 cms to help water get pushed out.

give the shoes a scuff up with some sandpaper and the drum as well. just a light rub to remove any glazing.

EBC come with grooved shoes if you plan to be riding through water also.

don't forget to grease the pivot pins with waterproof grease. put a tiny dab on the cam face and the shoe pivot (tiny dab).

when doing up the front axle nut, spin the wheel backward and pull the brakes on. do up the nut with the brakes on. this helps centralise the shoes in the drum.
  3. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    ebc always makes a good replacement. figure out what part number fits your model then try finding a good price on that..ebay! all the suppliers are good for certain things
  4. KIM750 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1977 360WR 1974 250WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati M750
    Thanks for the advice.