1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1974 black leg forks

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by Gord, Aug 13, 2018.

1. Gord Husqvarna
    AA Class

On my 74 black leg forks, does the dome on the bottom support washer (part 31 on the parts fiche) face up or down?
    Thanks
  2. Steve-F Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1975 Husqvarna 360 CR GP
    Other Motorcycles:
    1965 Norton G15CS 750
  3. Gord Husqvarna
    AA Class

Great, Thanks!
    Now, one more question. I notice the springs in that link are not progressive. Mine are. Does the tight end of the spring go down or up, or does it even matter?
  4. watto450 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1965 250, 1978 390 Auto, 1983 510 TX
    If you are ever in doubt.. look in the parts book.. the drawing / diagram will show which way thing go..
  5. Gord Husqvarna
    AA Class

I looked in the parts fiche. That just shows random springs for my year and model. Where are you finding a "parts book"? I could use that for sure!
  6. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
  7. Gord Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks, but that's the same parts catalog as Husqvarna Outlet, and what used to be here on cafehusky. It only shows a drawing of springs, not progressive springs.
    I just figured someone on the forum might own a 74 Mag and could tell me which way the tight end went. I've been told it doesn't matter, so I'll go with that. Tight up top.
  8. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    progressive means the spring rate increases as the spring is compressed so nature says put the open coils at the bottom so the small bumps only affect the open coils....
    DaveM likes this.
  9. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    Progressive springs are simply have the temper drawn down that gives you a spring that will sack down in the softer end. You would better stacking 2 different springs in each leg. That will give you a much longer lasting fork spring set.
  10. Jeff B Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1975wr 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    yamaha ty 175,
    I don't know? Two different springs in each leg? Never saw it in a vintage bike. It might work. I would research that first. But, try to figure out the different rates. Then making a spacer to separate the springs. I bought my springs from Vintage Husky. WAY too stiff. But, I used one of the old ones in one leg and one of the new stiff springs in the other leg. Perfect. I know of many people who have mixed spring rates. The springs I got from John are not progressive. Works for me.