1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1972 wr250 bits needed

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by rob kelly, May 18, 2017.

1. rob kelly Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1972 wr250
    Hi, I'm new to this forum so apologies if this is in the wrong section.
    I bought a '72 wr250 a few months ago and am getting round to sorting it out now.
    Its hardly been used and seems all original (inc trelleborgs and cables) apart from the coil, crank case seal for wiring and the front sprocket cover.
    I want to take the tires off to store them, does anyone have experience with this as i know they'll have gone hard and i don't want to damage them taking them off.
    Also does anyone have a front sprocket cover for sale and a femsa HT coil?

Rob
  2. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    get the tyres toasty warm, that will help get them off ok. use some baby powder or soapy water inside the beads to help them slip over the rim. makes sure the beads are pushed right into the well opposite where your starting to get them off. good luck... I lost a certain win years ago when I punctured the new front trelleborg ten master on my brand new 240 lc twin shock while holding a commanding lead in the Alpine enduro. what should have been a simple 2 minute patch job, it took all my patches and air bottles before I rode it back flat:mad: could not get the last lever flip over without pinching the tube....never liked them after I wrestled an old ten master off an xl 250 rim in a marathon 45 minute effort using car tyre levers ( I wasn't any good at tyres then).

my favourite was the metzler 2 ply...I used to pull the wheels out, lie the tyres nxt to them and yell "ALL CHANGE"..be all finished by the time I made a coffee..:D
    rob kelly and DaveM like this.
  3. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    73 450WR 6spd motor in a 75 MK frame
    Trelleborgs were sold for some time after 72 so maybe they're newer than you think. In any event do what suprize said and I think you'll be okay. Not to mention they're far more durable than 40 year old Cheng Shins.

From time to time you can get parts on Ebay for a reasonable price. Put the parts you need into a watch list and wait. Husqvarna parts compatibility can span many years. Check out the parts lists at the link to see what other year Huskys had your coil and cover.

http://www.husqvarnaoutlet.com/parts_fiche

Theres always help here so don't hesitate to ask.
    rob kelly likes this.
  4. rob kelly Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1972 wr250
    Cheers guys. Yes i guess they could be later than '72, i just assumed that they weren't readily available in the US. I'll get them warm and give it a go. I'll keep checking eBay for the coil and cover, as its femsa points ignition the motoplat coil from later bikes is different.
  5. Richard Colahan Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    71 250 Cross, 74 125WR, 75 250WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    Vintage British bikes, 1969 Penton
    As mentioned in another post...
    1. Don't bother with a used Femsa coil...the Emgo orange "magic" coil works just fine with the Fensa points ignition.

http://www.speedandsport.com/parts/ignition-lighting/

2. If you are not restoring your bike...don't bother with a sprocket cover. All they do is collect mud. I don't know any racer that uses one. I haven't for the past 43 years.
  6. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    73 450WR 6spd motor in a 75 MK frame
  7. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    Thanks for listing speed and sport. They have the stop switch I been looking for.
  8. SteveJ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1970 400 Cross, 1983 500 CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    84 Honda CR500R, 81 Honda CBX,
    Ditto to what Richard posted on the Emgo ignition coil, I didn't have success using used Femsa coils. Emgo has worked well for several seasons.
  9. rob kelly Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1972 wr250
    Thanks for the help. The emgo ones are certainly less expensive than a second hand one. I'll order one of those. I want it to look original so I'll fit the cover, I doubt it'll get used in wet mud anyway.
  10. rob kelly Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1972 wr250