1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1972 Husky 400 - Puckerbush's rebuild

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by Puckerbush, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Puckerbush Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '79 390 CR and '08 TE510
    The countershaft has a nut that holds the sproket. It looks like the threads are right hand (normal) but what I can't determine is why I can't get it off. I've tried a impact wrench and it won't budge.
    Is the sproket part of the nut or are they separate.
    View attachment 12534
  2. dumbdotdog Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    70 360 74 125SC 74 250MAG 81 250CR
    The threads are left hand, clockwise to loosen, even after you get the nut off and the puller installed you may still need a torch before the sprocket will come off, good luck
  3. Puckerbush Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '79 390 CR and '08 TE510
    I got the nut off but now I can't get the sproket off. I've tried heat with a gear puller and a hammer but it won't budge. I may have to cut it off. Also the cylinder studs won't break loose either. I've soaked the holes with penetrating oil and even welded a nut to the top of the stud with no luck. I have to get these two components off to split the cases.
  4. dumbdotdog Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    70 360 74 125SC 74 250MAG 81 250CR
    The last one I removed, I had the puller tightened down as tight as I could, grabbed the torches and started to heat the sprocket untill it glowed orange, then with a loud pop the sprocket and puller flew ten feet across the shop, not kidding!
  5. Ron Husqvarna
    AA Class

You shouldn't have to torch it until it's orange. Just get it good and hot. With the puller in place, rap it
    a couple times with a hammer. The shock should pop it off.
  6. HuskyT Moderator

PB - I retitled your post. If your planning on a full rebuild in here, I'll keep the thread here. If you just wanted help with the Sprocket, I'll move the thread over to the general Left kickers forum.

LEt me know what you want..

I 2nd Ron on heat and the hammer!!!

Good luck!

Tim
  7. Puckerbush Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '79 390 CR and '08 TE510
    Update: Had to cut the countershaft sproket off near shaft and heat, puller, and hammer popped it off. 4th gear on main shaft had broken dog. Local Husky dealer wanted $140 for gear. I could get it from the guys from Oregon for $69, so I wound up purchasing a complete '72 250 WR transmission off Ebay for $56 plus $10 shipping. The 4th gear was in great shape but the real plus was the countershaft had a splined end (for sproket) rather than the tapered, so I didn't have to locate another sproket as I had several splined counter sprokets. Couldn't get the cylinder studs out but was able to lift the cylinder off the case so that I could split the cases. It's interesting that the five speeds are similar to the six speeds internally and the jig plate I built so that I can test the gear shifting and movement, worked very well with the five speed case even though the case bolt pattern was different. Here is the picture of the jig I fabricated. It emulates having he right half of the case on to test the gear DSCN2508.JPG movement.
    Tim Court likes this.
  8. Puckerbush Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '79 390 CR and '08 TE510
    The rest of the bike will be restored by a friend of mine, but I completed the 400 CR engine. New seals, bearings, and 3rd gear. Replaced the tapered counter shaft with a splined shaft. He is looking for a steel tank (rounded model) so if anyone sees one that someone wants to part with, get in touch with me.
    DSCN2541.JPG DSCN2542.JPG