1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1971 Mi 250 - Why No Wr/cr

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by NMc, Oct 11, 2021.

1. NMc Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1971 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Matchless G80RR rep, GPZ900R, XS650
    Morning everyone.

Very new to the forum, but been lurking for a while. Finally got myself a little 250 project after looking for a good while.

The engine and frame line it up as a 1971 MI 250. I just wondered why that year/model had no CR/WR designation. Is it as simple as Husqvarna hadn't decided to offer the different gearbox options until 1972 ?

Waiting on a few parts to arrive today/tomorrow and then it'll be time to fire it up. Seems very original. Even has an old ( knackered ) Trelleborg on the front and yellow Akront stickers. I'll post up a photo
  2. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    73 450WR 6spd motor in a 75 MK frame
    Yup, you nailed it. Although some may consider the eight speed a type of WR option. Its just a hi low range splitter in front the gearbox.

Hopefully the gearbox is in good condition, that is if you're planning on riding it. Parts for the oval case gearbox take some digging to find and may come with sticker shock.
  3. NMc Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1971 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks Crashaholic. Definitely planning on riding it. It looks to be in decent order, and it runs up and down the gearbox OK but I'll reserve judgement until it's under load. Parts are definitely a little harder to come by than I expected. Doing some searching ( and forum review ) to find suppliers. Currently looking for a first oversize piston ring which I thought shouldn't be a challenge, but.....none around.

It's got a larger tank on it, so at some point I'll be hunting out an original tank. I am expecting sticker shock for that. Is there any variance in the early 70s tanks ? Would a 72 or 73 fit a 71 for example ?

Plan is to get it running and riding, and do a few endurance events on it. Then, I might think about restoring it to shiny.
  4. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    73 450WR 6spd motor in a 75 MK frame
    With the exception of color, the same tank is on the Cross, WR, and RT models from 71 through 73 and the 74 WR. The 74 CR and all other tanks up to about 76 will also fit if you're interested in the look of a rectangular tank. Some of these require a rubber strap on the rear in lieu of the bolt-on. Stay away from the 4 gal. Sportsman/Desert Master tank as the size interferes with the upper air cleaner and middle exhaust bracket on your bike.
  5. DeathFromAbove My Cat Says AREAR!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    70,71 360 8s 72,74 450 73 360 73 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    66 Triumph Trophy 99 ZRX1100
  6. NMc Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1971 250
    Other Motorcycles:
  7. NMc Husqvarna