1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1971 Baja 1000 Replika

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by josegull, Jan 21, 2010.

1. josegull Husqvarna
    AA Class

1971 Baja 1000 Replica

I like to show some pitures of my work with my "soon to be" Malcolm Smith 1971 Baja 1000 replica.

It started with registration papers from a 1968 military 250 WR and a 1969 400 with a frame whithout frame number.

Hopfully it will be road legal in Sweden...don´t think the guys at the "Trafik Inspection station" (don´t know the correct english word for it) can tell the diffrens between a 400 and 250 :confused:

Found a NOS 8 speed kit so I feel like I´m half way there on the hard to find parts :)

My insperation is a black and white picture I found on the Internet showing Malcom in the race. Maybe someone knows were you can find more photos from early Baja racing?

Attached Files:

2. Team WR Husqvarna
    AA Class

Get yourself a DVD of "ON ANY SUNDAY" off the internet. This is required veiwing for HUSKY lovers. Plenty of scenes you could pause the video and take a digital picture of for reference.
    This is where I found Husqvarna religon as a child.
  3. Leftcoast leftkicker Husqvarna
    AA Class

Frame without #s might be works factory ?
  4. Husq.fleet Husqvarna
    AA Class

"Hulu" .com has the movie you can watch on the computer for free!
  5. highdez1981430cr Husqvarna
    AA Class

Amen to that TEAM WR!

I was also converted during the movie and have been humming the song everytime i ride.

I also discovered the fun of playing in the sand dunes and getting big air.
  6. HuskyT Moderator

That black and white picture was made into a great poster last year. I would love to find one of those posters and get Malcolm to sign it.

MS was inducted into the Riverside County Hall of Fame here recently.

T
  7. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
    Poster available here.

http://dunlop.cyclenews.com/

Legends Posters.

Malcolm Smith web site indicates he will sign posters. He has a Baja Orphanage Charity so a few buck thrown that way ....;)
  8. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

I have that picture signed by Malcolm. He was a guest of the Husky booth in Long Beach a few years ago. Long line, but worth the wait!
    I think Rob Keith set it up.

Take a look at Marty Fiolka's book 1000 Miles to Glory. Its a history of the Baja 1000, and has a picture of the '67 Malcolm Husky. Mostly car stuff, but it captures the spirit of the early races.
  9. josegull Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks for the tips!

On any Sunday is a really good movie for us Husky freaks!

glangston
    I´m ordering a poster right away! Thanks for the link!

Leftcoast leftkicker
    It will be wery hard for me to verify that my frame is from a factory racer so I will not claim that this is the case.
    However it has some nice modifications you often found on the factory drivers bikes.

For example:
    Spring to hold down the footpegs
    Extra tubes under the engine and one short tube to protect the oilplug
    Extra brackets for rear fender supports
    Protection for the sadel

Attached Files:

10. josegull Husqvarna
    AA Class

Have done some more work on my Baja project. It´s hard to get the right feeling this time of the year in Sweden...I have 60 cm of snow outside the garage...
    The engine is back in the frame with 8-speed kit mounted and I have modified the lightframe to support a extra 60 W head light.
    I will be using a 140 W WR ignition from the 80's.

Attached Files:

11. josegull Husqvarna
    AA Class

The bike is back on the wheels! I´m starting to see the end of my projekt. Two big issues left...gas tank paint and exhaust...plus al the other small things...ignition, wiring, bowdencables, speedo mounting....:)

Attached Files:

12. highdez1981430cr Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hey Husky T

I met Malcolm at his shop one day (thanks to my wife watching multiple reruns of "on any Sunday) She brought malcolm over to meet me and he gave me that very poster and signed it in front of me!

For free even!

My wonderful wife had it professionally framed and now it is proundly displayed in my workout room.

I have since met malcolm two other times, ounce at his dualsport ride he came over and sat at my table and had a cup of coffee with me and the other time at anahiem 1 this year and was nice enough to take pictures with my wife and i.

Malcolm is truly a great guy.
  13. josegull Husqvarna
    AA Class

Real soon now...first test ride is just around the corner...
    Posting some new pictures

Attached Files:

14. mike328 Husqvarna
    AA Class

GREAT JOB...LOOKS BEAUTIFUL...glad to see another vintage Husky saved.
  15. josegull Husqvarna
    AA Class

This afternoon I took him for the first test ride after 2.5 years of dreaming in my workshop, hunting for parts and restoration.
    He fired up after some persuasion with the kick starter. I still have butterflies in my stomach!!!
    Thanks for the tips and credits in ths thread guys!
    I hope all you other Husky lovers lots of luck with your nice projects seen on this forum and that you also will reach the day when your work pays of like this!

Now...I will run back to the work shop for ignition, 8 speed lever and idle speed adjustment.

It is going to be a great spring and summer!!!

FINISHED.JPG
  16. adam6402 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Wow, amazing work, congratulations
  17. HuskyT Moderator

Wow.....! Extremely nice!!! Great job![IMG][IMG]

T