1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1971 Aluminum Frame Big-Clutch Engine Husqvarna

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by Vinskord, Dec 2, 2021.

1. Vinskord Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    400 CR
    A little quiet around here lately so thought a bit of HVA history would be of interest. Here are some pics of Husqvarna’s 1971 aluminum frame project and eventual demise.

The following are abbreviated excerpts from Husqvarna Success by Gunnar Lindstrom.

Part 1

The engine used was the soon to be released Big-Clutch 250cc for 1972. The frame was constructed with aluminum tubing bonded with aircraft adhesive to cast aluminum bosses. This was of interest to Husqvarna as it could lead to a simple, light, and inexpensive frame to enter into production.

A1 - Copy.jpg A2 - Copy.jpg A3 - Copy.jpg A4 - Copy.jpg
    LampisJussi and ct cr430 like this.
  2. Vinskord Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    400 CR
    Part 2

At the 1971 Swiss Grand Prix, Thorleif Hansen’s frame broke on a downhill jump. Heikki Mikkola was told to sit out the second moto in concern that his frame would also break. The break was attributed to a poor casting, but Husqvarna thought the negative publicity was too embarrassing and ended the aluminum frame project.

A5 - Copy.jpg A6 - Copy.jpg
    Bill502, Krudd and ct cr430 like this.
  3. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM250xc, KTM500mx, KTM440exc
    Great story. Too bad the failure didn't happen in testing. They might have tried another design. "What if."
    I hope Hansen wasn't hurt? And I bet Heikki didn't take lightly to have to miss that race, but I understand.