1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1971 250 - Tank Details

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by NMc, Jul 9, 2022.

1. NMc Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1971 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Matchless G80RR rep, GPZ900R, XS650
    Morning all.

Now the engine is back up and running, it's time to start to turn my attention to the shiney parts. I've been on the forum and the tech ref section trying to find details to have the tank restored.

I'm guessing originally the tank was chromed, and then painted with decals ? There's a couple of references on the site to that section of the tank being polished. Chromers are rare on the ground in the UK now, so that may be a struggle so I'm wondering whether a good metal finisher might be up to the job of making it look chrome ( ish....It'll not be the same ).

I've seen the work visiteur1948 does. I wish he did that for others as well :)

Frame and silver parts look to be RAL 9006, but I can't find reference on that for a 1971.

Also is there an accepted RAL for a 1971 250 ? I've found a couple of references, but they were later bikes.

Thanks in advance. Still learning about this old girl.
  2. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    73 450WR 6spd motor in a 75 MK frame
    You're correct, the original tank is chrome plated. Polishing is an option but you're right again about it not turning out as shiny. I've never used RAL 9006, always perferred painting, but looking at the color swatches of 9006 online it looks good to me. Over the years Husky wasn't mindful of frame color codes. I've heard it said that the shade of gray used from the late 60's onward was left up to the person mixing the paint that week, lol.
  3. DeathFromAbove My Cat Says AREAR!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    70,71 360 8s 72,74 450 73 360 73 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    66 Triumph Trophy 99 ZRX1100
    You should pm Claude, visiteur1948 . And ask him you never know. He has helped me with some European stuff.
  4. NMc Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1971 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Matchless G80RR rep, GPZ900R, XS650
    Thanks both. I have PM'd Claude and he's asked for photos. The tank is OK, so he might be up for taking that job on.
    DeathFromAbove likes this.