1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1971 250 - Bing54 Carb replacement and electronic ignition

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by NMc, Nov 22, 2021.

1. NMc Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1971 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Matchless G80RR rep, GPZ900R, XS650
    All

My 1971 is going to get used, so I'd like to address the carb and the points.

The Lectron is too much carb for my needs, so it appears the conventional wisdom is a 36mm Mikuni, which I'm familiar with from my XS650. I've been looking to see any other associated mods that this carb swap needs, and it looks limited to the intake and airbox. Has anyone produced any kits, or does everyone roll their own mods to make the Mikuni fit ?

Second is I'm looking to swap out the points for an electronic ignition. I have no history with Husky's so I'm just blind searching forums and vendors. I've been steered towards a Belgian outfit called HPI, but they don't have anything for my specific model. Just wanted to check if there is any consensus on electronic ignition for these old girls ?

Thanks in advance.
  2. NMc Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1971 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Chuck at Huskyjunk looks to have the goods ( with a little fab ) for the Mikuni carb. Got back to me straight away on fitment changes for the 1971 vs the 1972 and up it's listed for.

Emailed Electrex, Vape and PVL for the electronic ignition. None list the 1971, so asking them all if they have something suitable
  3. SteveJ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1970 400 Cross, 1983 500 CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    84 Honda CR500R, 81 Honda CBX,
    Sorry I can't chime in with useful info for you. I'm still running the Femsa mag with a Bing 54 carb on my 400. But looking forward to seeing your progress with the bike.
    Steve
  4. NMc Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1971 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Just an update. About to order the carb from Husky Junk. Very responsive. Happy to ship to the UK, and will jet it for my elevation.
    Vape also very responsive. Had some questions on my Husky, and the current setup ( various measurements ) and confirmed which product of theirs was appropriate.
    No responses from Electrex or HPI. I'm going to call both today, but almost certainly going with the Vape.
  5. NMc Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1971 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Also committed to an engine rebuild, and taking it out to second oversize. Looking at Vintco for all the internals, but also a few local guys who do MX rebuilds all the time have local suppliers that might have appropriate pistons, conrods, bearings etc.

So my original plan to just get it running, and ride it, are out of the window. It's ever thus :)
  6. grouty Auto Lover ...

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    78 390WR, 78 390 AMX, 500 Humph
    Other Motorcycles:
    works 73 CCM 520, another 73 CCM520
    Good shout to go with Vape. Mine run Power Dynamo which is now Vape. Excellent at communicating and their product is great. I have not had any luck with Electrex. They couldn't even bother to get back to me when I had a question, and even less when it went belly up ! Not used HPI so can't comment.
    Good luck with the build. Be nice to see another classic racing.
    stormer254 likes this.
  7. erickz Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1970 250 Cross
    Other Motorcycles:
    Penton 400 Mint, Ossa 250, Yam 250
    Can you post the part number of the Vape ignition you’re using? I have a 1971 250 (MI chassis) that I want to get running.
    thanks