1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1969 400 Cross

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by Deaney, Feb 6, 2020.

1. Deaney Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1969 and 1070 400 cross
    Hi all

I'm new to the forum so I hope you can help me occasionally with some silly questions regarding my restoration of my 69 400 cross.

The tail piece of the exhaust is about 5" long, i thought it may have been cut for a silencer and i have seen pictures where they vary in length. Where they different lengths?

Was the original piston a 2-ring type, later after market a 1-ring type?

Thanks
  2. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    73 450WR 6spd motor in a 75 MK frame
    Welcome. The 69 400 is legendary.

A five inch stinger sounds short. Your guess that it was cut is probably right. You can see in the attached photo the end of the stinger above the tire. The expansion chamber on this bike ends about where the shock bolt is at. After 69 the stinger was about 2 -3". The only reason I know they would be in varying lengths would be due to the owners preference.

The stock piston did have 2 rings and the following year the 400 went to a single ring piston. After market pistons I'm familiar with were 2 ring.

In the future if you don't get a response to your post I invite you to PM me. Traffic on the site has been so slow in recent months that most of us don't come around very often.

Enjoy your 400!

Bengt Aberg 69 400 Husky.png
    Steve-F likes this.
  3. Deaney Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1969 and 1070 400 cross
    Thanks for your reply

I'm sure I will have some more questions as i go through it...Thanks again
  4. Deaney Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1969 and 1070 400 cross
    Hi all

I have a 1970 400 Cross, as well as the 69 I'm restoring, double trouble.

Whilst I know the history of the 69, which is a UK bike, the 70 is a Californian bike. Is there a way I can check up on it's import or original ownership, does someone keep the records for these old Husky's

Thanks again for any help
  5. Steve-F Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1975 Husqvarna 360 CR GP
    Other Motorcycles:
    1965 Norton G15CS 750
    Deany, first , lucky guy to have 2 of those!! Nice!! Give Don a call at Vintage Viking in San Diego. He is the care taker of a lot of Husky records through 1974 (mine is a 1975 360 CR GP)...619-415-9176 and be ready with your frame and engine #'s.

Let us know the results!!

Cheers,Steve
    DeathFromAbove likes this.
  6. Deaney Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1969 and 1070 400 cross
    Thanks for your help Steve

I'll give him a call :thumbsup:
  7. Deaney Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1969 and 1070 400 cross
    Hi all, especially Steve who gave me Dons number.

Don was incredibly helpful and had a dig through his records.

He didn’t have a sales receipt as a new bike.

It turns out that the bike was a 1970 factory race bike and presumably run in the 1970 inter AM. It was sold at the end of the season and I have a copy of the receipt from Edison Dye Shop to its new owner. No warranty given.

What we don’t know is which rider used it. It was probably an American rider.

If anyone has any information on frame numbers etc that’s would be very helpful

Thanks again.
    dartyppyt and Steve-F like this.
  8. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM250xc, KTM500mx, KTM440exc
    Welcome, Deaney! We have very strict rules here at CH: If you post photos we begin to throw free information your way! We especially love to see the ugly wretch that you are starting with. Hint. Hint.
    Steve-F likes this.
  9. Deaney Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1969 and 1070 400 cross
    Thanks Picklito, a fair point.. I don't really have many photos, and now they are both in bits, but hopefully you'll get some idea from these. The 1970 is in a worse state cosmetically. The engines are in not bad condition, the 69 hasn't been messed around with the 70 has had quite a bit of porting work, which i guess is understandable.

Attached Files:

DeathFromAbove likes this.
  10. Deaney Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1969 and 1070 400 cross
    Hi all.

I'm just my 69 400 cross engine back together and I want to make sure i get the gear box shims installed correctly

Has anyone got the correct location and shim sizes

Thanks
  11. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Parts fishe will show an exploded view of the engine components or you can refer to a shop manual as it'll go into the actual assembly procedure. A member of this community has provided room on his company server for these sources and a lot more Husky stuff.

http://www.3medesign.com/articles.html
  12. Deaney Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1969 and 1070 400 cross
    Yes, thanks, I have both of those documents, and i have put the shims in the order of the diagrams, but I don't know shim sizes or thicknesses, so could be wrong.

I maybe over thinking this, they seem to be correct as they fit over the respective shaft correctly

Thanks again
  13. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I understand that assembling trans washers can be overwhelming at first but keep in mind most of them only fit a certain size or shape of shaft. Just take your time and notice how the washer fits the shaft while referring to the parts diagram. If you have a question about one specific washer feel free just ask.
  14. Deaney Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1969 and 1070 400 cross
    Great thanks for your help