1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1968 - 1976 Upper Chrome Fork Legs Interchangeable, Really?

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by Crashaholic, May 1, 2018.

1. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    73 450WR 6spd motor in a 75 MK frame
    I was browsing the Husky Club News Letters today and ran across something I was not aware of (no surprise :eek:). Craig who published the News Letter had a small write up stating the upper chrome fork legs from 68 to 76 are interchangeable. This means that the lighter weight (thinner wall) black fork stanchion can be used with the gray leg because they are the same diameter, length, and threads as its chrome gray-leg stanchion predecessor.

With dwindling supply of gray-leg pit-less tubes the black-leg tubes can be used. Then theres the weight savings on the front end which is always a good thing.

Heres the article.
  2. Vinskord Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    400 CR
    The weight savings can be quite a bit for the performance minded.

Gray Leg Fork Tube: 4 lb 0.2 oz (1819 g)
    Blk Leg Fork Tube: 3 lb 0.9 oz (1387 g)

Gray Leg: 2 lb 11.5 oz (1232 g)
    Blk Leg: 2 lb 0.6 oz (925 g)

So if my math is not faulty - by switching out tubes and legs to the later thinner tubes and the Blk Elektron (Magnesium) legs, 3 lb 4.1 oz (1478 g) of weight can be saved!

Further savings can be accomplished by turning down the Gray Legs in a lathe and using them with the later thinner fork tubes for a total weight savings of 3 lb 10.9 oz (1670 g).
  3. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    73 450WR 6spd motor in a 75 MK frame
    Heres a set of gray forks off of one of the many Huskys I acquired in the nineties. These have been turned and as a set weigh 4.5 lbs., one is 2 lbs the other 2.5 lbs. Wonder how much weaker they are. Not sure that turning gray legs would be worth it especially with the availability of the black legs. Although they would make a great conversation piece on a vintage ride.

DSCN3483.JPG