17T front sprocket first impressions

Discussion in 'TR650' started by dmw_az, Jun 28, 2017.

1. dmw_az Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    500hp Dodge SRT4
    I recently installed a 17t front sprocket on my Terra. I've tried 15T, 16T and now this one and they all fit with the stock length chain. It's the dead of summer here in Phoenix and today is the first day it will be less than 110*F in a couple weeks, so I haven't been riding much. I've also been having head shake above 65mph, so last night I removed my handguard plastics and wind screen. My ride into work is about 10 minutes of stop and go, and a ten minute stretch of 65mph highway ride in the middle.

Here are a few things that I noticed with this setup.
    1.) 100% of the head shake is gone, which makes me feel much more confident riding the bike at speed. I was cruising 80mph on the highway and it was rock solid.

2.) That wind screen really does block the wind as I felt a lot of air on my chest and there was a significant amount of wind entering the helmet.

3.) The engine has a vibe at about 5100 rpm that is fairly annoying and sucks with the 15T because I'm right at that RPM on the highway going 70mph.

4.) I cruised at 80mph at 4900 RPM this morning and the engine was smooth as glass.

5.) Each gear seems to go on forever. I shifted into 5th at 65mph when entering the highway.

6.) Frist gear would suck offroad but you can still get the front end up off the ground if you whack the throttle on the street.

Here's the sprocket and also my new Ratel case saver.
    Ratel.jpg
    Aquatic and Cyntax like this.
  2. Matt Crawley Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 Terra
    What windscreen are you running? Stock extended or something bigger?

Matt
  3. MadDogTR Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes, many.
    This confirms my belief that it is the hand guards.
  4. dmw_az Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    500hp Dodge SRT4
    I have two. One is a retrofitted KLR screen.

klr.jpg

The other is a Screens for Bikes (from Australia). This one is about 2" taller and provides better wind protection, but acts like a sail on my bike and causes significant head shake above 65mph.

Aus.jpg
  5. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    When I put the tck 80 on the front of my Strada I got the shakes at 65-70. No screen or guards.
  6. Rapid Dog Husqvarna
    AA Class

...I really doubt a sprocket has anything to do with headshake, nor handguards.
    Check your headbearings if you haven't done it yet.
    Just sayin' ...
    Biff Malibu likes this.
  7. dmw_az Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    500hp Dodge SRT4
    My bike was horrible when the TKC80s we're new, but they settled in after about 200 miles.

I don't think the sprocket had anything to do with headshake either. It's almost entirely the windscreen.
  8. Rapid Dog Husqvarna
    AA Class

...possibly, but probably not the real cause.
    I have a Madstad for sale if anybody wants one ;)
  9. Cyntax Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra, 900R Nuda
    Other Motorcycles:
    MG V50 NATO III
    Hmm, I might change the front to a 17T too. Thanks for sharing your experience with the 17T, it might save me some fuel and make the ride a bit smoother because I am currently commuting on the Terra of which 90% is highway.
  10. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    I like handguards on the street in the winter time when it's ten degrees out. Be careful when there's a cross wind with a light bike. Remember a quick thinking body English applied to the pegs is your friend.

I caught a cross wind on my 1200 bandit as I passed a mountain on the highway. In the open the cross wind blew me across three lanes. I put my 300lb body weight on the left peg just as I was going to hit the left shoulder. It saved my life. Body English plus dirtbike experience. I would fly on my husky TE610e on the highway often wondering what a stiff cross wind would do. Be safe always expect the unexpected.
    PaulC likes this.
  11. PaulC F class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2 2018 YZ 450F, 2019 CRF1000AT

Wise Words
  12. dmw_az Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    500hp Dodge SRT4
    Yes, both wheels have been balanced.
  13. nwrider1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Too many to list
    I'm running a 17T on my Strada and like the more relaxed cruise rpm. There's a trade off in reduced acceleration at speed, but I don't mind downshifting when needed.
  14. sussurf Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Sprint 1050, Daytona 955i
    I get that vibe at between 4,500-4,800 rpm. Above & below that is silky smooth.
  15. Ogre_fl Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Tiger 1050
    +1, that's about where I pick one up too, maybe closer to just the 4700-4800 mark.