1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc 165 first ride

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Oldscool, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Oldscool Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    RM125, SWM RS500R & Superdual
    Well it started as a dream, reading on forums about the 165 kit available in USA. Reading how good they were, how their performance exceeded expectations, how simple they were to fit and how reliable they were.

So I decided to ask Walt some questions as he's the man who developed these kits. I found out Walt is really easy to deal with, has a passion for the Husky brand, knows his stuff and doesn't use the "hard sell". He modifies your existing barrel, head and power valves, taking the bore from 54mm out to 62mm. He also supplies a piston kit, base gasket and head o rings in the kit.

I purchased a second hand, though still in excellent condition 125 barrel, head and power valve assy from a cafe husky member (cheers Craig) who kindly sent the whole lot to Walt on my behalf, bloody champion. And so began the birth of my 165.

The kit arrived and I went about fitting it up. The workmanship on the modified parts was quite impressive and the kit could pass for factory supplied. I checked the squish clearance as a precautionary measure and it was right where Walt recommended it should be - between 1 & 1.1mm, mine was at 1.04mm. I must say these engines are very easy to work on with plenty of room around them.

I've now run it in and almost completed tuning the carb, a PWK38, to suit. So far, compared to the 125, I've had to lean out the pilot by 2 sizes (to a 35), go to a leaner needle (DDM) and go up approx 4 sizes on the main jet (200). These settings are a work in progress but are close.

So how does it perform you ask. I'd describe the performance as this - a 125 feels like a turbo charged mountain bike, no weight, with soft power "off boost" then smile inducing power as it winds up. In comparison the 165 feels like V8 mountain bike, there's no weight increase and no waiting for the power to wind up. Top end performance feels about the same but the increase in response and torque down low make it so much easier to ride. Don't get me wrong, it's not a 300 or even a 250 for that matter, but it's no 125 either. It kind of reminds me of the old 175's we all used to ride back in the day. That relatively smooth, easy to use power, with enough to make you giggle but not so much as to cause unexpected trouble. Well that's how my rose coloured glasses remember them anyway.

The next step, I'm told, is to fit a modified ktm200 pipe. Apparently they make quite a difference to the performance. Might have to wait for my birthday for that to happen.

If you managed to get through all this....well done, and thank you for allowing me to be a little self indulgent for a while.
    AndrewS, john01, shawbagga and 9 others like this.
  2. Idacurt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    07 WB177
    Other Motorcycles:
    Scorpa 175
    Great summary of Walts 165! I just added a custom by Walt KTM200 pipe after riding all summer with a 125 fatty and it was like turning the volume up to 11,I'm now ripping lugs off my Michelin trials tire,Cool!
    wallybean likes this.
  3. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    make sure you run 98 octane and listen out and check for signs of any detonation , 200 main jet sounds crazy rich but safe
    wallybean likes this.
  4. Oldscool Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    Cheers for the heads up on detonation. 98 is all I'd ever run in a bike 2 or 4t.
    The 200 is rich, but I'm in the process of working back to just a little rich. I Ran a 180 when it was still a 125 although 175 to 178 gave a good colour on a plug chop.
  5. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

I agree that 200 seems a bit too large. I would think the 190 would be safe. He should be able to run the Aussie 98 but always better for you guys to be careful. I need to find the number of KTM needle that I think works best with the 165/PWK combination. Just haven't gotten my old carb apart yet.
  6. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    On a 144 with a PWK I tried a N7NW Kawi 125 needle which was recommended by PC - it was quite a thin needle and with the settings I had I liked a leaner R1469 needle- I think it is a Suzuki 250 needle

Id say you should be right with what you have or the standard mikuni runs well with a 165 . I am running Mikuni with a 470 main jet .

Have you checked compression ?
  7. Oldscool Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    No mate I haven't checked compression.....would be a good idea though. Best I get a compression gauge and take a reading for reference.
    justintendo likes this.
  8. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

It's going to feel a lot better with the 200 pipe. The Husky WB165 is my favorite engine/bike combo to date.
  9. Oldscool Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    Just a note for anyone still interested.....I've settled on 35pj, ECK needle with clip position 1 or 2 and main-jet 190.
    This engine really is fun and easy to ride.
    oldbikedude likes this.
  10. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I will tell you the 165 is un breakable After 4 or 5 full seasons of National Hare and Hounds, 3 king of the Moto , 4 Last dog Standings
    and many miles. The 165 is still running great. So great I sold the complet bike to Walt who tells me it is still running great. I have moved on to a New Husky TE 300 and hope it last as long
    Xcuvator and Oldscool like this.
  11. Chef Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 Cr165, 09 Wr165
    Other Motorcycles:
    01 Husaberg FE650, 07 BMW 650 Dakar
    I got my 08 cr165 together, fatty pipe, lectron carb. Last season I rode a wr144 w a lectron. i took the bike out to some tight single track that I practice on. 13-50 gearing, lectron set up a little fat. I was very surprised the difference between the wr 144 and the cr165. The 165 pulls hard out of the corners in 3rd in all but the tightest switchbacks. I never had to drop to 1st. When the bike comes on the pipe it really launches. I'll have to be careful of this. Often with the 144 I would have the throttle pinned coming out of corners. This could get me in trouble in the next corner on the 165.
    The bike that I converted was a 125 previously ..... No comparison!
    Thanks Walt.
  12. Zomby woof Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 CR 150
    Is that with the KTM pipe or the Fatty for the Husky?
  13. Chef Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 Cr165, 09 Wr165
    Other Motorcycles:
    01 Husaberg FE650, 07 BMW 650 Dakar
    Ktm 200sx fatty pipe from Wally.
  14. Oldscool Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    Finally got around to checking compression - 205psi cold.

On Walt's suggestion I tried the multi-taper N1E_ range of needles and settled on the N1EG which seems to give better response from half throttle than the Keihin single taper needles I was using without the slight richness off idle. Given we've had some really hot dry weather here lately I will be retesting the N1EF needle come winter, just I case my summer choice becomes a touch lean.

This little bike still impresses me!!
  15. Tentontimmy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR125
    Other Motorcycles:
    Suzuki GSX-R1000
    What clip position did you end up at on your N1EG needle?

Glad you are enjoying the bike!
  16. Oldscool Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    Clip in position 1 (top) with the NE1G. I've got a NOZG on order from Suzuki to use as its half a clip leaner, so in theory I can use top or 2nd clip position. This gives me a little more adjustment if required.
    I'm starting to think I have jetting OCD. Lol.
    Tentontimmy likes this.
  17. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    Buy a lectron mate.
    justintendo likes this.
  18. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gas Gas TxT 300, Yamaha wr250f
    Hay shawry you techno wizard do your avatar.

But hes right the lectron really is a sinch to use.
    shawbagga likes this.
  19. Oldscool Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes mum.

I just can't justify the price atm. Wanna sell yours?? Perhaps swap for the Keihin......that'll give you a hobby. Lol

Seriously though, I'm happy with the Keihin, it's running strong. I just wanna see if I can get it even better. I'd do the same with the lectron. Adjust this, twiddle that, end up back where I started but convinced it's better lol. Some call it OCD, I call it therapy.
    Miezie666, johnnyboy and shawbagga like this.
  20. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250