1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc 125 PV question

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by shawbagga, Jan 25, 2018.

1. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    Just putting new top end in. Does the PV open fully(valves almost disappear looking up exhaust) or do they stay down a little? Been a while but thought they opened fully(recessed right into cylinder)? Maybe I did the mechanism bolt up too tight? I'll post a photo in a bit.
  2. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

If it is the large, older style of power valve, they don't completely recess out of the way when fully open. The very back side will still protrude into the exhaust port at the rear. It will only be a couple of mm. Probably designed this way to increase exhaust velocity through the end of the port and into the pipe.
  3. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    Nah newer smaller design Walt(got another top end cheapish). What have I done?
  4. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    they the right way around :D
    walts the man - Im not sure that they fully recess out of the way but you may want to try adjusting power valve bolt location in slot on side
    Good job getting a newer cylinder
  5. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

The newer ones should recess flush with the exhaust port. Definitely check your power valve adjustment bolt. Also check to make sure the little slotted arm that actually pulls the power valves open has its set screw fully tightened in the hole in the shaft. Make sure the linkage is correctly slotted on both shafts.
    rockdancer likes this.
  6. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    Ok weird that gotta adjust it isn't it? They can only go one way round as far as I can tell! I hope I don't have to take cylinder off as hot everything tightened down ready to go!

Yeah it was the one on ebay the other week bloke in Sydney. 2013 wr125 so same bike. Told me it'd done 800km & was as new. When I got it it's got 3-4 scratches in nikasil(ring & piston minor marks too) that are deep enough to catch ya nail. I'd say a bit of dirt inhested. Not particularly happy but buyer beware I guess. I'm just gonna run it & see how it goes. Head was like new
    pvduke likes this.
  7. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    Sorted. I tightened grub screw up in PV housing/shaft(front of cylinder) with valves partially retracted. Loosened, pushed valves to fully closed & tightened & all is well again. Valves sit right down into cylinder at rest & retract fully(exhaust port unhindered) when PV is actuated. Weird as I've never done that before. Teach me to rush the job & drink beer whilst doing it. Cheers all

PS good on the husky engineers for making it so ya can get that PV access cover off(just though!) front of cylinder without removing it & also being able to tighten grub screw in situ.
    rockdancer likes this.
  8. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    you got to stop drinking beers when doing stuff haha - Yeh great bikes to work on
    Good on Walt for knowing the issue .
    I have a newer 125 cylinder and power valves but its damaged from a circlip possibly from my lack of skill when I put it on my 08 - keeping it for a 139 project one day
  9. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    dozens of them, kicked to the curb
    bagga mate i'd rethink this as a scratched piston can fail a scratched bore can flake and that goes right to the crank. IMHO send her out and get her plated/sleeved and pop a new pill in the bore to be safe. just saying bud. glad ya got yer PV sorted. mreeep mreeeeeeeeeep!