1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

10 Fins of Fury gets to breath....

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by hawaii-rider, Aug 24, 2009.

1. hawaii-rider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2018 TC250, 2015 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    04 CRF-270x, 95 CR500, 93 CR250 etc
    Well thanx to a smooth business deal with fellow husky nut Frog, HR's Ten Fins can breath now as I got a CR style silencer (Aluminum) unit from him and removed the Girl's SA baseball bat finally.
    :thumbsup:

Jetting is spot on....
    I have my own home built Powernow blade as I posted earlier....
    and ol Ten Fins pulled pretty solid with the spark arrestor mounted...
    but now.....

SHEEEEEEESH....what a freaqin beast!!!

What I learned.....
    (Brand new S12 in the rear....)

I weigh about 240 with ride gear, so at 6'3", size 13 SIDI's on Im not a small guy for Ten fins to haul around. :busted:

1. She is going to wheelie. PERIOD.
    2. You have NO VOTE in that unless you are just idling around putting in gear.
    3. What you do have a vote in is:
    a. How high she wheelies
    b. How fast the front end comes up
    4. 6 gears dont last very long - even with goggles on your eyes are watering really hard, really fast
    5. Anyone riding behind you when you open the throttle will swear like a solider and dream of full ballistic body armor.
    6. She doesnt roost (according to my friend riding with me) it firehoses a steady stream of lethal debris, rocks, sticks, dirt, small rodents or actually anything within about 18" of either side of the rear tire. He said it was kind of a Sweedish black hole how anything close to my rear tire while I was on the throttle got sucked into and became part of the roost stream. He wasnt happy.
    7. I talked my friend into riding 10 Fins around...he came back, and all I could see was white circles behind his goggles and him violently shaking his head from side to side as he came back. He said and I quote: "there is a reason they no longer are allowed to manufacture these bikes anymore, no one on earth has the need for this much power, anywhere or any time. You are NEVER to let me ride this bike again, do you hear me?" :cheers:

So...I love her to tears...she has the motor of doom. Smooth as silk and pulls from just off idle untill you see religious visions behind your goggles.
    What a hoot!!

HR
    :cool:
    :usa:
  2. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

HR
    Loved the post. Keep roosting buddies and all.
    Post up silencer details.
    Rick
  3. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    That's what a Big Bore is all about man :thumbsup:
  4. HomeFinance Husqvarna
    A Class

Pics please.
  5. mattskn Husqvarna
    A Class

6. ruwfo Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 390CR, 1982 430CR, 1984 400WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 250XC, 2016 FJ-09
    yeap that's why i love my 390,430 & 500 Huskys, i feel the need for
    some speed :D Big bore are so much fun, sort of like a 427 Cobra
    :eek:
  7. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    I gotta see the baseball bat you were using :eek:
  8. Leftcoast leftkicker Husqvarna
    AA Class

Tip- replace the stock bar mounts with a set from mid-'70s (they're straight, not pull back) it'll get more weight forward. be sure the forks are raised at least 10mm too so she'll bite, run the best front tire $ allows and air pressure around 12 psi. If i had to do it all over again i'd put a 19" rear on
  9. hawaii-rider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2018 TC250, 2015 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:

:)
    sort of like.........
    My Pro-taper bars, Pastrana bends rotated forward and high?
    Michelins new with the nubbies on em: M12 front @13 psi, S12 rear
    Race tech goldvalves installed, forks pulled up until they hit the bars (dont know the MM off the top of my head)
    and having raced 500's most my life, knowing that the "twigs and berries" never leave the tank if you are on the gas?

Like that?

HR
  10. Leftcoast leftkicker Husqvarna
    AA Class

yep! BTW, now that you've put some time on it would be interested in your evaluation of RT Goldvalves. Worth the $, did you send them in or do yourself, did you buy their updated spring and at what kg?
  11. hawaii-rider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2018 TC250, 2015 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Race tech Gold Valves are MORE than worth the $$ IMO.

The difference from stock to what they are now is vastly different
    I got the spring rate from I think it was Gary (?) Race Tech's Vintage Guru

First ride on em from the base setting and the lighter comp spring on the valve the action was good, but I was going all the way through the stroke and going too fast. Even then though the action was night and day different.
    Got home, went to the heavier spring on the valve, upped the 15wt oil level
    and now, well they are now as good as the 1983 stock forks, with modern Valves can even hope to get.
    Impossible to get the action and control from the stock forks without the kit, simply impossble. pogo and spike to control and actual rebound and compression and no harsh wear you out hits and spikes.
    Are they as good as my modern bikes?
    NOPE
    impossible.
    Is the control, feel, lack of spike and actual terrain hugging worth the $150 for the kit?....NOT even a question.

And I did everything myself, pretty simple and straight up.

I think if you are over 160 pounds you need the stiffer valve spring from the start for MX. I also have more preload on my valve from stock, but then for my size...thats expected.
    I did some sky shots and tables with the stock forks with the goldvalves, came up short a time or two and I didnt have needle spikes through my hands and wrists up through my shoulders as when they were stock. Forks just sucked up my poor ride skills and was ready for my next mistake.
    :doh:
    Rebound and comp were completely controlled.

HR
  12. frog Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hawaii- how do you compare your 1983 XC500 to your 1980 YZ465-handling,power,turning,jumping, for vintage mx?
  13. hawaii-rider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2018 TC250, 2015 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    well.....been too many years since I rode one to compare and currently my 80 motor/81 Frame - 465 is stripped to the frame getting ready for powder coat - and the bike an entire rebuild this fall.

But after letting Ten Fins Breath and how I holeshot locally against everything else in the EVO class when it was CHOKED UP...not even a motor question, in fact last race a guy on a fresh 465 rode 10 Fins and when he was done he said, I know why you holeshot....

Now handling, wont be much comparison in turning with the YZ vs the XC, I know that now. While the XC is a freaqin cruise missle, only way you can crash on her in a straight line is if you ram into something.
    She really doesnt like to turn.. :thumbsdown: But cant fault her for that, Ten Fins was designed to rule the open desert.
    Stable as an aircraft carrier in a straight line though...wow...(yes with the forks sucked up all the way)

But I will compare the two girls once I get the 465 rebuilt.
    I will gold valve the YZ too and set them up comparably...
    I already know there is no comparison with motor, and handling outcome is pretty assured too.....
    we will see...
    as the late Paul Harvey would say...

Stand by for news!

14. Leftcoast leftkicker Husqvarna
    AA Class

the '84s had 1 degree less rake and the MX team bikes ran 2 degrees less
  15. hawaii-rider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2018 TC250, 2015 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yeah I wish I could Modify Al's Rekluse adjustable front axle to my XC

sigh......

I just look for any lip in the corners I can find, the M12 bites really well on the tracks, just really helps to richochet off something....she does like to go straight

HR