1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc 08 WR250 or 09Wr300. $900 difference. Which one?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by PC., Mar 2, 2009.

1. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    Howdy folks! PC here.... and about to join the Husky ranks. Primarily a woods rider, but I dabble in the dez, dunes and track also (80% woods, 20% everything else). Please read my story below and give me your unbiased, educated opinion. I do appreciate it:thumbsup:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    I rode an 06' WR250 yesterday and freaking loved it! I felt connected to the bike the moment I got on it unlike any bike I've ridden before. Fit my style like a glove.

My dealer has a leftover 08' 280 or a new 09' 300. Price difference is $900. Question is.... is the 300 with the updated frame, forks & motor displacement is worth the price difference. I also do like the black rims quite a bit, but that's just bling.

I currently ride a 06' yz285, which is way to much motor for the tight woods I tend to frequent. I'd like to use the YZ for racing the local XC series and the WR for weekend trips/non racing events. Although if I'm faster on the WR it may become my race mount.

Bottom line, is the 09' 300 worth more than an 08' 250? If not, why?
    If so, why? I know the carb can be upgraded on the 250 for relatively cheap. Can this provide the additional boost I'm after?

Please provide real world experience responses. I already know I want a Husky, so no need to sell me on the brand, just the model.
  2. gem Husqvarna
    A Class

I believe that the '09 300 and '08 250 have the same frame. I don't think there is much if any difference in the suspension or handling. I'm sure others that know for sure well post up.

The difference becomes whether or not you think that the extra 50cc's is worth it. You probably can't buy the parts it would take to make a 250 into a 300 for that $900.

Just my opinion but the 300 probably will enjoy better resale value than a 250 because you have less competition. The Japanese don't offer 300 2-strokes so your competitors are the other Euro brands.

I know I don't think there is enough difference to justify selling my '07 250 to buy a '09 300. If Husky gives the 300 a new updated chassis, suspension and a 6 speed I'll do it then.
  3. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

If Husky gives the 300 a new updated chassis, suspension and a 6 speed I'll do it then.[/QUOTE]

Me to give me a new updated 300 with a 6 speed and i will get one .Still will not part with my 125 but a 300 for the kid so i can ride it sometimes
  4. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    Thanks for the reply!

The 09' pamphlet I have boasts about a 'new, stronger and lighter oval and box section tube frame'. I assume since the 09' 300 is new, they're comparing it to the 08' 250. Can't say for sure though.

Does the 08' have the 50mm forks like the 09'? If not, are they substantially different/better? The wave rotors are cool on paper and to look at, but not a major decisive factor to me.

I'm leaning towards the 300, but am not 100% there yet. I dont want a lazy motor (I feel KTM 300's are lazy off idle), but I dont want another aggressive YZ. I also dont want to have suspension envy if the 50mm forks are a substantial upgrade. I wish they didn't have the 08' and my decision would be made.
  5. gem Husqvarna
    A Class

I think that sales brochure bragging about the new frame is for the 125 and the 4 strokes. The WR 250 and 300 still have the old frame and suspension. Not that it is bad just dated. As you know from riding the '06 WR250 it's a good woods package as is.

I have not ridden a Husky 300 but I have ridden KTM, TM and I owned a Gas Gas 300. The Husky can't be wildly different as they all share the same bore x stroke. I like a 250 for aggressive riding. When I want to ride lazy I like a 300 and bigger. I went from a KTM250 to a Husky WR360 to a Gas Gas EC300 and back to a WR250. It is really tough to beat a 250 2 stroke.

There is no such thing as the perfect motorcycle regardless of displacement or brand. This is why you have to have more than 1 bike:cheers:
  6. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Oh BTW, you get 2 years (Yes folks....2 years!) of Husky Bucks eligibility on the 09 (read as 09 and 10) The 08 has already used its 08 years on the floor so only 1 year of contingency for it. Depending on your ability and how frequent you race.....you could cash in on more than the $900 in a year.
    Make your decision before the end of March though so you catch the $1000 bonus though.

Joe
  7. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    Thanks for the input!

I'll be picking up the 300 at lunch today. I'm a fool for power and figured the 300 will be more suited to my style, but still be capable of a leisure trail pace. Something the YZ doesn't seem to understand.

Cheers :cheers:
  8. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Hey PC, told you these guys over here would steer you right. Welcome to the best husky forum on the planet. The 50mm forks, 300cc, black rims, wave rotors etc are worth the $900 and the resale will be better. Good choice. I prefer 250's usually over 300's but thats just me. I like the quicker reving and less vibrating 250 most times. (KTM's)

You see this? http://www.husqvarnamotorcycles.com.au/pdf/2009/Test_TE310-WR300_ADB.pdf

When we riding?

Kelly
  9. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

pick up some plastic rim savers to protect that bling when changing tires too......1st accessory I got before I even got the 09.

Joe
  10. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    Next weekend at the 6hr. :ride:
    And hopefully every weekend thereafter. Thanks for the link :thumbsup: I'm freaking stoked.

Once the wife gets over the shock, I'll be putting in an order for some rad guards and skidplate.

Joe,
    thanks for the tip. My changing technique is hell on rims.
    I'll be looking for some :thumbsup: