1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc 08 WR 250 locked up!!!

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by fire1998, Jan 12, 2009.

1. fire1998 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Just found this site and maybe you guys can help. I was 2 hours into a Hare Scramble yesterday and my 08 WR 250 locked up. Bike was running great, no indications that it was going to seize. Came up a hill 3rd gear full throttle, set up for the turn, pulled the clutch in, and the bike started making a squeaking noise and lost power. Pulled over and was able to start it again but had no power and was still squeaking. Bike wont kick over now. Bike has 25 hours on it and has been maintaned after every ride. Bike is jetted perfect with a PWK carb. Did I suck in a reed? Looks like I'll be getting an Eric Gorr big bore kit.

I was praising the WR before the race to a bunch of guys asking about it . I had to do the walk of shame back to the truck and explain what happened. I'll tear it down this week and let ya know what I found it.
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I have owned and thrashed many a WR250 and my friends continue to do so. Never heard of one seizing. That's odd as those motors are darn near bullet proof IMHO. You did remember to dump in the 2 stroke oil right?
  3. fire1998 Husqvarna
    AA Class

wr

Yep, 40:1. Air filter was fresh and the gear box oil had 2 rides on it.
  4. ScottyR Husqvarna
    AA Class

Pull the ignition and/or clutch covers off and see if a nut has come off and is the reason for it locking up?
  5. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

An improperly jetted engine would cause a seize.

How do you know that it was jetted correctly?
  6. fire1998 Husqvarna
    AA Class

WR

I've been running the same jetting since September without a problem. Plug looked good when I put a new one in before the race. It even looked a little rich.
  7. Troy F Collins Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    GGEC 250 Honda RC51 CBR 1000rr CR125
    ScottyR is right..pull the covers off both sides..check the reluctor and stator rotor on igntion side for binding...if ok remove the clutch plates and springs on the other side... if the center nut is still on and tight...remove it and pull the basket off.....try to turn the crank by hand.....if its still locked up....its in the motor(crk..or piston)

didnt 08WRs have some reed breakage issues...???
  8. gem Husqvarna
    A Class

I've never heard of a WR250 piston seizure. The Huskies I have worked on have all had generous piston clearance. That's not to say it can't happen. The squeaking noise and the loss of power points to the engine.

The advice about checking for loose nuts and binding under the covers is sound and likely true, but it's pretty quick to pull the sparkplug and the exhaust and take a look. If the plug is covered in aluminum or the exhaust side of the piston is all scored then you know you have to pull the jug.

I thought the reed problem was an '07 only issue and even then only on some. My '07 has had no reed issues and I've checked a few times to be safe. However, I do know of one '07 owner that has had reeds fail twice:eek:
  9. fire1998 Husqvarna
    AA Class

WR

****UPDATE****
    Heres what I found. The Steahly flywheel weight backed off and came in contact with the ignition cover. Thats what the squealing noise was. It broke the ignition cover. Once I took the ignition cover off, the motor was freed. I bought the bike with the weight on it so it wasn't mine or the bikes fault. Installer did not use Loctite. Husqy's still ROCK!!!
  10. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    I love that !! sorry,,, not that you did have a failure of sorts,,,,but it was a simple issue not related to the internal workings. and a relativly minor issue. Thanks for the update, now put er back together and get out and rail Yeah!
  11. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Nice-n-EZ :thumbsup:

Buddy had a 02 CR250 Honda that did the same thing with a Steahly
  12. fire1998 Husqvarna
    AA Class

wr

Not so good so far!!! Can't get the flywheel off . It created a ridge when it free spun. Talked to steahly and he said try a pulley to get it off. Either way the end of the crank is destroyed. Don't know what was worse a top end or this. Very frustated right now!!
  13. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Crap I bet you can file the end of the crank and make it work. (I hope)
  14. fire1998 Husqvarna
    AA Class

WR

Well finally got it off. It took a puller and a propane torch to get it off The flywheel weight actually bent from the pulley. Needless to say the crank end is trashed . What do I do next? What does a new crank cost? I have never done a bottom end on a bike so I'll have to send it out. Any idea what this should cost? Know any good mechanics that are reasonable in Labor? There goes my full revalve from LTR.

Good thing I didn't sell my KTM 450. At least I still have a bike to ride, maybe, I might have to sell it to pay for the repair.
  15. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Crap is right! I have a little two stroke with one of those Steahly weights on it and I put it on there about three years ago. I installed it the way the instructions read and didn't use any locktite on the the locking screws. The instructions tell you to take the cover off and inspect the set screws a few rides or so, but I forgot about the flywheel, even though I have Steahly stickers all over my bike.:doh: Nothing has happened so far, but I think I'll have a look-see at everything in there before my next trail ride on the little beast. I sure don't want to bleep up my crank shaft end!:thumbsdown:
  16. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Taking the engine out, putting it in a 'cooler' (Igloo?, Thermos?) and sending via UPS ground sounds like the way to go. I think BendEuroMoto (site sponsor) does that type of work, Uptite in so cal, Halls in IL... If it were me I'd get multiple quotes for both money & time.
  17. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    Please try the chase the threads option as motosportz said. with patience you may get it back in shape to thread,,,use some jewelers files and work on the grooves carefully. It really is worth the time in this case. Best of luck sorry for your misfortune,,,,I am heading out to the garage to inspect my sons RM125 with the 10oz Steahly weight!! may reinstall with red locktite.
  18. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    If you have the time, clear/in focus pictures would be good to put up to see how bad it is.
  19. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    We've got a few Steahly FWW's on our 2-strokes and I've found the best thing is to check them after washing. I always remove the cover anyway to make sure it's clean and dry in there, and that's a good time to check the little set screws. I've never had a problem with a FWW coming loose, and I've been using them for many years.

Good luck with your motor, fire1998.

WoodsChick
  20. oldmx Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2001 WR-360.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 KTM 505
    Fire;

You can do this yourself and save some money. I am by no means more than an average mechanic and have tore down and re-built a 2003 Honda CR-125 and a 2001 Honda CR-250 this year.

If you have the service manual and some patience it is not too difficult to tear a motor completely down and inspect it. If the crank is the only thing that was damaged you can purchase a new one, replace the crank bearings, and re-assemble without alot of trouble. However, make sure you try to keep the transmission together, if it is not damaged when you split the cases, it makes it easier to re-assemble.

Give it a try you only have money to save.

Mike