1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

08 TXC 510 stuck piston without warning

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Bigtoy302, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Bigtoy302 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TXC 510
    Yesterday I warmed the bike up and took off from my house and about a mile down the street the engine seized without warning. No noises or anything. Last time I rode it everything sounded and performed fine. The engine was not hot, I could still touch the cylinder with my hand.

Bike is a 2008 TXC 510. I don't know how many off-road miles it has on it but, it only has 1200 street miles.

Any Ideas on how it happened? The oil was a bit low. (.8L) Maybe a quart was not enough? Forgot to check it before I took off.

Any aftermarket pistons available that don't suck? I have not heard good thing about Athena or ProX. The dealer wants $690 for a new piston($342) and new cylinder($348).

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  2. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I just looked up the oil capacity for the 2008 motors and it is 1.8 US quarts. Looks like you starved the motor for oil. I like the athena pistons and wouldn't hesitate to use one. The pro-x pistons I have seen were ugly though.
    Tinken likes this.
  3. MorganD Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FE501 17&19,TE310R 13&14,TE250 2010
    If I don't remember wrong the old Engine needed 1,6 L oil.
  4. XLEnduroMan Heroes Ride Huskys. The others follow.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '18 Husqvarna 701 Enduro.
    Other Motorcycles:
    '20 Ducati Hypermotard 950.
    In your case/location I would contact Bill's about the oem 530 kit.
  5. Bigtoy302 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TXC 510
    Kits are back ordered. No ETA. $658. If I could figure out what 100mm piston the kit uses I could just get a piston and send my cylinder out for bore/re nikasil and save $150.
  6. Bigtoy302 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TXC 510
    Is it possible to cold seize a 4 stroke? It was 34° outside. I did a 3-4 warm up. Cylinder locked up a minute later. Cylinder still cool to touch. I would think if it ran out of oil the wristpin and bearing would show signs.?
  7. XLEnduroMan Heroes Ride Huskys. The others follow.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '18 Husqvarna 701 Enduro.
    Other Motorcycles:
    '20 Ducati Hypermotard 950.
    Centerline likes this.
  8. joedirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr250
    If it starved for oil I would check the crank and main bearings also.
    Centerline likes this.
  9. 113moto Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 smr510
    Other Motorcycles:
    klx250
    I would tear that motor all the way down and check out the whole engine
    Tinken likes this.
  10. Centerline Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 TE450
    Other Motorcycles:
    HD Fat Bob, Aprilia Dorsoduro 1200
    What he said.

That piston/cylinder; hard to look at. No here experience with piston seizures, but I would guess the case needs removed and split to check crankshaft and bearings and to remove metal bits from the bottom of the case.
  11. Guoseph Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FE501S
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda VFR800, KTM 525 EXC
  12. Bigtoy302 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TXC 510
    Centerline likes this.
  13. Guoseph Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FE501S
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda VFR800, KTM 525 EXC
    They just priced it, $359 for a piston kit and $23.5 for gaskets seems like a pretty damn good deal
    Centerline likes this.
  14. Bigtoy302 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TXC 510
    Yes, $599 including boring/re-plating is a good deal.
  15. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    The oil pump and drive should be carefully inspected as part of your tear down as well.
    R_Little likes this.
  16. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I agree...something is funny. For sure check that oil pump.

That seizure is massive and I would guess the oil to the crank must be starved too if it was ran out of oil. Even with .8 qts I'd guess the oil pump would still feed...unless you warmed up with a 1 mile wheelie! Did you go from stone cold to WFO? Remember the piston expands faster than the cylinder and it could seize from expansion.

Is there any bluing or other discoloration on the rod big end...pull the wrist pin and see if it is wet with oil.

Are the cam bearings still wet?
  17. Bigtoy302 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TXC 510

The cams and bearings look perfect. No signs of oil starvation. I have not pulled the engine apart any further yet. I will check/replace the oil pump and rod bearing. I'm still leaning on cold seize.( Seized on intake side). Bike was warmed up for 3-4 minutes while I put my gear on,(ambient temp was around 34°F) I then left my house and got on it to pass a car around 1 mile down the road. I was still on it pulling back in my lane when it seized. I could still touch the cylinder with my bare hands so temp was still below 160°F. I will split the case after the 530 kits are done and I have some free time, probably late Feb.
  18. ridemore Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 TC450. 10 TC250. 13 TC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    02 Triumph Bonnivile
    That's scary! Everyone here had some great points on what to check.
    I have used CP pistons and Wossner pistons. Both worked great. Wossner was much less expensive.
    Cylinder work I have had done by US Chrome. Just about $200 with boring, re plating and shipping.
    Seemed to take awhile to run in with some oil loss in the beginning. But then, all ok.
  19. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Sounds like oil starvation to me. 0.8L of very cold oil may barely lubricated the forced oil bearings, but will not flow enough to spray out of the rod bearing to lubricate the cylinder walls. Next time, Mobil1 0W40 it up with a SS filter. Allow a longer warm up time too. That way you will get full oil flow, even when it's 34°F out.
  20. Campbell Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMWG450X
    Ditto to Timkens comments, a Cold seizure will start with scuffing on both skirts as a result of insufficient Piston to Bore clearance, progressing to heavier scoring on thrust skirt (intake side in this instance) as lubrication breaks down. If scoring is only on thrust side it points to a lack of lubrication.