1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

'08 TXC 250 break-in ride

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by kaminari, Oct 11, 2008.

1. kaminari Husqvarna
    A Class

Hello all,

Sorry, no pictures :( but just a quick synopsis of how my '08 TXC 250 performed last Sunday (09/28/08) on its maiden voyage...

I had some extra time to burn up at Foresthill, CA and decided to go on a easy "break-in" ride with the TXC 250. Conditions were relatively mild after the previous day's rain although traction was slightly unpredictable (good hook-up mixed with snotty clay & pine needles in the shaded areas as I will eventually find out).

Other than the high seat height (still by +1.5"), I can honestly say that this is the first dirt bike that I feel "comfortable" riding (like an extension of my body). Steering is quick and nimble but yet "planted", if I need to hold a line through a turn. "Peg-weighting" the bike to navigate obstacles is a dream! I did have some concerns about not having a steering damper but like anything else, I adjusted my riding style accordingly and made do without it (for now).

After one twist of the throttle and pulling the choke on, the cold engine fired up on the first kick. I did notice a slight "bog" when blipping the throttle if the engine is cold but on a warm engine, I had no carburetion problems at all. The e-start performed flawlessly as well when needed.

Power-wise, the motor still feels "tight", so I'll be taking it easy for the next few rides. However, I could tell that the TXC 250 wants to be (eventually) revved hard, so I'm looking forward to this once the break-in period is over.

The LT Racing-tuned suspension is a dream! As per Les's documented instructions, I literally just bolted on the shock & forks and went riding with no initial adjustments. The new suspenders are "stiff" but not too "stiff"...compliant over the water-bars, rocks, ruts, roots, etc...just the way I like it! :thumbsup: As with the motor, the suspension needs to be broken-in as well so I can start fiddling with the clickers for fine-tuning.

After about a 50-minute overall trail ride, the unexpected happens...I lose the front end on the backside of a waterbar (slick, snotty clay) and as the handlebar slams towards the right, my right arm/elbow jams into my right ribcage when hitting Terra Firma...hard. :eek:

The next thing I know is that I'm laying belly down, right ribcage in pain and unable to breath (the initial impact winded me). After a few seconds of remaining calm, I got my breathing back but am now thinking "Damn...I either bruised or broke my ribs..." I did a quick damage assessment of myself and everything else seemed to be fine. The stock Tomaselli bars, however, did not fare to well. :doh:

I'll spare you the remaining details but the long story short of it is I eventually made it back home safe and sound and will be seeing the Doc next Wednesday for some X-rays. The pain is not as sharp as it was last Sunday but if I sneeze, cough or fart really hard, the pain from my right ribcage lets me know it's still there.

It was only 50-minutes of riding but what a joy those 50-minutes were! :D I'll definitely be back on the TXC 250 in the next week or 2...ribs pending, of course. :cripple:

+1 for Dan @ Motoxotica for giving me a great deal on the TXC 250 and dialing in the jetting before delivery.

+1 for Les @ LT-Racing for working his "magic" on the TXC 250's suspenders.

+1 for George @ Up-Tite Racing for not only providing me with his trick Husky parts but also sharing his wealth of Husky-related knowledge to me and having his "mechanic" keeping me entertained...:D
  2. ioneater Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TXC 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 Sprint
    Congrats on the new ride! Sounds like you cracked/bruised your cage. That's good info on the suspension and your description of Les's work. I'm hoping to have him massage mine this winter as well. Hope you heal soon.
  3. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
    George has a "mechanic"?:confused::D
  4. Up-tite Husqvarna
    Pro Class

( Crash)
  5. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Hope you are not hurt too bad. Not sure what it is about Forrest Hill but that place seems to get people hurt. Went to a OHV planning meeting up there and the Handicapped parking was overflowing.

That is also the place where I broke my leg.

Maybe we can go riding sometime. :thumbsup:
  6. I8AKTM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Congrats on the new bike.

I know just what you mean about becoming an extension of yourself...I love mine.

paul
  7. kaminari Husqvarna
    A Class

Thanks all for the support. :thumbsup: After 40 years of going through life with no serious injuries, I guess I was way overdue with a bruised/cracked ribcage.

(Coffee) I agree with you on your idea of people getting hurt at Foresthill. I've ridden Clear Creek, Georgetown, Elkins Flat, Stonyford and many other places in NorCal and Nevada but there is just "something" about Foresthill that you need to be cautious of...well, that and the infamous "red-stained dirt" that has now christened my Husky. ;)

When I'm up to full recovery, I'll take you up on your offer to go riding. :thumbsup:
  8. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Ok if we somewhere besides Forest Hill? :lol: