08 TE450 Non Consistant Running

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by snbartley, Mar 31, 2012.

1. snbartley Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE450
    After reading as many threads on the fuel pump problems and other bikes running poorly I have checked and secured my fuel pump, checked all wires and connections, replaced spark plug, ran without gas cap valve and none of these seem to stop the inconsistant nature of the bike. I am wondering if a poor running fuel pump would cause difficulty starting at times, poor acceleration again sometimes, and lots of backfiring when I let off the throttle during the times it is not running well. When the bike runs well there is none of this. It starts right up, idles fine, accelerates nice, no back fire just all good. Then the next time I go to start it the gremlins are back. Am considering a new fuel pump but before I spend the money was just wondering if I am on the right track?

Thanks
  2. Tech 3 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 SMR510
    [IMG] I would start at first things first Hook it up to ibeat and take a look,
    See if there are any trouble codes stored
    check your TPS calibration to make sure it is set right
    That is where I would start out.
  3. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 450 - last of the ITA motors
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    Ride the bike, get it real hot, single-track, whatever, get it to where it is acting up and pull over in a quiet spot, away from noisy bikes and cars or whatever. Turn the bike off, get off and put your ear on the rear of the tank. Turn the key on, listen to the pump priming. See if it sounds like it is dragging or stopping/starteing, any odd behavior. If you don't know what it sounds like normally, be sure and listen to it before you get it all hot, or listen to another Husky with EFI. If your fuel pump is clogging up, you will hear it dragging, and making other funny noises. Mine did. When the bike got real hot, the pump would not prime at all.
  4. snbartley Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE450
    Thanks. I will give that a try. I do know what it sounds like normally. I listen to it all the time since I had some issues just to confirm that it is working. By the way OlderHuskeyRider I was able to find the fuel strainer you recommended locally and will be changing my fuel filters out this next week. Not bad for $20 for both filters compared to $600 from the dealer.
  5. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    You are getting the pump strainer AND the all-metal fuel filter right?
  6. snbartley Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE450
    Yes I did. I purchased the exact ones you recommended in another thread. The strainer does fit with a little modification to the fuel pump mount. Have it most of the way back together with the new filters. They were really needing changed. Going to keep the current pump for now. Well see if the stuff I have done makes a difference. If not then I will pull the pump and replace.
  7. snbartley Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE450
    Today was test day. After a week of Maintenance the bike is back together. Decided at the last minute to go ahead and replace the fuel pump. It was working but just did not sound completely right. Put is a new cacycleWorks pump this morning. It sounds so much better. So new intake strainer new pump and all metal filter on and made the switch to clear gas. It is like a different bike. Starts easy idles nice and does not cut out smooth throttle transition. No back fire on down shift or when letting off the throttle. Tons of power. Can actually get the front wheel off the ground. Before the bike did not have enough power and was so non consistant in its running it could barely get down the road. Was considering the JD Tuner set up with AF gauge to monitor AFM ratio but now am thinking no. As long as it continues to run like this there is no need. Hope it continues. Very nice. Thanks to all for the suggestions and help.
  8. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    Wow, great news man, go out and thrash the daylights out of it!! After a few hundred miles, pull the assmbly out and check to make sure it's all in the same place. I had to add some zip ties after a while. Put the old fuel pump in a small peanut butter jar or something near the size of the fuel pump and fill it with injector cleaner, you might be able to salvage it.
  9. snbartley Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE450
    Sounds like a great idea. I will do that if nothing else I have a spare if the one in side fails and I need one for a day or two. As for the pump moving I don't think I will have an issue. I made a wire braket that hooks over the fuel outlet on the top of the pump and goes down under the pump mount. It is in place and pulling the pump down into the mount. I also added a zip tie like others have done. I would be very shocked if it ever moved again. But we will see. Road this morning and just like the other day. Started easy and runs great. Makes me actually like the bike.
  10. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    How's the bike running? Have you been putting it thru some workouts?
  11. snbartley Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE450
    The bike is running great. Like it should run. Very very happy. Nice to have it running good. Finally I don't worry every time I get on that I will be stranded. Weather has been good the past couple weeks so I have been able to get some good rides in.
  12. JimBob Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE310R
    Hey, I just bought a 2008 TE450 and it runs fine except for when I slow to a stop at stop signs. Sometimes it will just die, especially when low on fuel. It stumbles a bit on acceleration right off the bottom too. Can that be a fuel pump issue or is it a mapping issue? What do you think?
  13. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    Post 3 in this thread:

Ride the bike, get it real hot, single-track, whatever, get it to where it is acting up and pull over in a quiet spot, away from noisy bikes and cars or whatever. Turn the bike off, get off and put your ear on the rear of the tank. Turn the key on, listen to the pump priming. See if it sounds like it is dragging or stopping/starteing, any odd behavior. If you don't know what it sounds like normally, be sure and listen to it before you get it all hot, or listen to another Husky with EFI. If your fuel pump is clogging up, you will hear it dragging, and making other funny noises. Mine did. When the bike got real hot, the pump would not prime at all.
  14. Stirlo Husqvarna
    A Class

I had the same problem with the pump sounding like it's trying to pump mud! Only thing is it was intermittent and it did it even when it wasn't super hot???
  15. Nikos Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW GS 1200 ADV
    Please give me information about the injection maps of the te 450 because mine is sleeping until 3000 rpm ...
  16. Huskymicky818 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 SM630
    Other Motorcycles:
    '04CRF450x2,01&03YZ250,87CR500x2
    Excuse me for being slightly off topic here but I was wondering what filters you were talking about purchasing and where I could find them? any information would really help as I am having the same issue you are describing in the supposed
  17. Tetley Husqvarna
    AA Class

18. tl1000r Husqvarna
    AA Class

For any of the 450 you should have the power up kit , after that , you can do some adjustments with ibeat ,

The 08 doesn't have the same adjustability as the other years . I played with the settings on mine several times , then went out and bought a jd jetting tuner . It woke the bike up , worth every penny .
    268fords and bigjon like this.