1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

08 Te450 Flat Spot

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by gjm6syn6, Jan 31, 2019.

1. gjm6syn6 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 te450
    Other Motorcycles:
    drz400
    I recently picked up an 08 te450, it came with the o2 exhaust plug and connector resistor installed but still the stock exhaust. She runs like a scalded dog pretty much all around, but if I'm just cruising on the road I get a flat spot / gurgle right around 6500. I can accelerate past it or back off a bit and it goes away.

So far I've swapped the fuel filter, fastened the pump into the holder properly, changed the spark plug, adjusted the valves, reset the tps, and cleaned the injector inlet screen.

Are there any more simple things I can check before I start fiddling with the idle stop & air bypass screw?

I'd also like to be able to screw around with the fb adjustment in ibeat, but I don't have an 02 sensor to hook up, anyone have one laying around they are willing to part with?

Thanks in advance,
    -gjm
  2. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 450 - last of the ITA motors
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    Check your intake manifold for a small leak, a small leak can show up at specific RPMs and at lower or higher RPMs, the extra air affects performance less.
  3. gjm6syn6 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 te450
    Other Motorcycles:
    drz400
    I appreciate the guidance! Looked over the manifold for any cracking then tried a spray test with some brake cleaner, couldn't find any leaks.
  4. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    I am not advising you take it off yet, you might find your problem elsewhere, but the manifold crack can be invisible and it can be closed at idle in your garage. The air sucking may only occur at your flat spot RPM. The TE450s are shakers, I went thru 3-4 manifolds while I had my 2010. If you never find your flat spot cause, I'd take the manifold off and have a closer look.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    268fords likes this.
  5. Darkside Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none left
    Other Motorcycles:
    beta, ktm, aprilia
    I might have an O2 sensor laying around. Do you already have the ibeat software setup?
  6. gjm6syn6 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 te450
    Other Motorcycles:
    drz400
    Oh man, after seeing those pics I had to go out in the shop and give mine another solid once over. Still looks good from the outside, if it is a little ripped I imagine it'll only get worse, so I'll keep a close eye on it.

I do already have ibeat software setup (had to do a virtual machine to run it) and a hacked obd2 cable that has allowed me to connect with the bike. I realize the tuning options for the 08 are pretty vanilla, but I'd like to have a go at it all the same.
  7. Darkside Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none left
    Other Motorcycles:
    beta, ktm, aprilia
    Ok. Found it. pm me your address and I'll drop it in the mail. My 08 te250 was the same. It does help to richen it up
    Trenchcoat85 likes this.
  8. gjm6syn6 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 te450
    Other Motorcycles:
    drz400
    Hell yeah dude, I really appreciate it! pm sent
  9. 268fords Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08' TE510'
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CRF 100, Kawasaki KLX 110
    If you do find your intake has a crack, it was recently posted on here that the SWM intakes are the same. This is a big plus because a new husky boot was more than likely made 10 years ago.
    OlderHuskyRider likes this.
  10. gjm6syn6 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 te450
    Other Motorcycles:
    drz400
    Thanks for the heads up, I'm guessing it's the swm 500? I'll see if I can pick one up, sounds like a common issue on these.
  11. Darkside Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none left
    Other Motorcycles:
    beta, ktm, aprilia
    put it in the mail Tuesday. Should get today or tomorrow
    Trenchcoat85 likes this.
  12. gjm6syn6 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 te450
    Other Motorcycles:
    drz400
    Just pulled it out the mailbox, time to get fiddling :thumbsup:
  13. gjm6syn6 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 te450
    Other Motorcycles:
    drz400
    Alright fellas, so I got off early today and spent a bunch of time setting the fb adjustment in ibeat and test riding. Seems like where it was set was about as good as it'll get(103.5). Tried going to some lower numbers first (down to 100 in steps of 1) and the machine wanted to surge / had poor spots all over the rev range. Then I tried going higher (up to 110 in steps of 1) which seemed to make the original issue more pronounced with a harder gurgle/stutter. Set the fb back to 103 and it's pretty manageable, but I can play the hell out if it by slowly accelerating up through 6k. When it starts to act up I noticed the turn signal indicator light flickers. I tried running with the dash unplugged and it made no difference. Gave her a full once-over but couldn't find any suspect wires.

Frustrated with that approach I fiddled with the tps setting, throttle stop, and air screw for a while. Also ended back where I started as that seems to work best. Pulled the coil and cleaned up all its connections. I noticed that with all the test running, my fan hadn't come on once, so I bench tested the fan (good). Wondering now if my coolant temp sensor isn't suspect.

Wanted to walk away from it for a while to think, figured I'd post up and see if anyone has any advice.
  14. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

What color is the coolant temp sensor ? The suspect ones were a different color than the updated ones.
  15. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    Lights flickering would make me chase down all grounds, especially grounds for the coil, EFI, etc.
  16. gjm6syn6 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 te450
    Other Motorcycles:
    drz400
    The coolant temp sensor is black, I went ahead and ordered a new one. Hooked up to Ibeat this afternoon to see if the temp readings matched up with ambient (they did). Hoping I’ll have the time tomorrow, plan is to clean up all the grounds and give it a test ride. I appreciate the feedback!
  17. gjm6syn6 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 te450
    Other Motorcycles:
    drz400
    Ok, after a few weeks of fiddling with ibeat settings and picking over the bike I'm about where I started. Swapped the temp sensor and inspected all the wiring that I could get to without pulling the harness. I found a short in the turn signals that was the root of the indicator flickering. At this point I'm thinking I need to look at a better way to adjust the fueling. Would it be better to seek out a piggy-back tuner like the jd power surge, or try to run a different year ecu so that I have access to the co setting? My mpg has been total shit, 25mpg on singletrack (what I mostly ride), I imagine if I can get the fueling sorted this should go up as well. The PO installed the power up kit but left the stock exhaust (with internal cat), any thoughts on this being a contributor?
  18. gjm6syn6 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 te450
    Other Motorcycles:
    drz400
    The issue is finally settled! Ended up going for a jd power surge. I set the fb adjustment to 100 then tuned from the recommended settings on the jd tuner. Moving the transition from low to midrange had the largest positive effect. After that I had to lean out the “accelerator pump” setting. Now she’s right as rain, up to 40mpg from 25. Many thanks to all you who have helped me out!! Special thanks to darkside for lending me an 02 sensor, I’ll get it back in the mail tomorrow!
  19. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    Keep an eye on the color of your spark plug, 40mpg is really lean.
  20. gjm6syn6 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 te450
    Other Motorcycles:
    drz400
    I’ll have a look at it this evening, thanks for the heads up. What’s a good mpg to shoot for with these machines?