1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

08 TE250 stalls out...too much oil on air filter?

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by gandalf, Sep 4, 2008.

1. gandalf Husqvarna
    AA Class

I just reoiled my air filter on my 08 TE250 and now the bike stalls out and won't idle. It drops to 1300 rpms and then dies. I took the air filter back out and started and it idles fine so I suppose I over oiled the filter? I really didn't put that much oil back on. I definitely put on more than last time. Last time I just made it turn red and this time a did a little more. I am using the PJ1 spray on oil. If this is what's wrong, do I just need to knead the filter a bunch and squeeze out the extra oil? Or do I need to clean it and reoil?

Thoughts? I know I could've searched but this is the kind of thing that can take a lot of reading before I find a post and I really don't have much time as I am getting ready for the NE Gathering and still have to change the oil and put on the new tank. Thanks in advance.

Also, my apologies for posting this in 2 places...just looking to get back to all else I have to get done before this weekend.

--gandalf
  2. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Just squeeze out the excess would be my first attempt. Kelly & others are more knowledgeable in that area though.

If you have a slot on the bottom of the airbox like my 2006 TE250 has you may want to consider putting a paper towel in the bottom so it does not drip oil on the back tire during transport to the Gathering.

I ruined a tire before I learned that... drip drip drip in the back of a pickup slowly dripping oil on the tire/swingarm/spokes - it's really obvious if that is happening.
  3. gandalf Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks. I'm trying that now. Just did some kneading, and it will idle now, but it seems too low at 1500. I'll try again and if it doesn't get back to normal(1650? I can't remember)
  4. gandalf Husqvarna
    AA Class

Okay, removed it again, put a shop paper towel in both hands and gently squeezed it evenly all over. Didn't get much out that I can tell, but the oil got a bit tackier and the filter felt a bit drier and now it runs just fine. Sorry for the newbie distraction here:D
  5. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    dozens of them, kicked to the curb
    Depending on what oil ya use....

I usually get it soaking, then knead in well and squeeze off exces, then pat gently with a t-shirt or similar to get the excess off.

Then let it set for an hour to 3 if at all possible to let the carrier/solvents evaporate. Then install.

I've over-oiled once or twice in 30 odd years and found out AFTER I got out there....*burble, sputter, plop*

I'd advise against plugging yer air box drain form the inside due to if water gets in there, the towel will be pretty waterproofed by then and not be able to drain....not to mention a mess and fire hazzard.

If ya gotta plug that area, do it from the outside then yank it out before ya hit the trail.

YMMV!
  6. ioneater Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TXC 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 Sprint
    good info for us other noobs....

Good stuff to see. I've only messed with disposable air filters or K&N's so this is nice to know. Just changed out to a Moose pre-oiled filter from the OEM Twin-Air. I like the Moose better so far as it fit's easier in the airbox. Anyhooooo.........
  7. gandalf Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks. I think waiting is a good idea too. I didn't this time, but next time I will.

Regarding the Moose, I'm going to pick one of them up too because I keep hearing good things about the neoprene seal and the fitment.

Thanks again.
  8. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    I always have three air filters..... clean one on the bike, clean one in a ziploc, ready to go and the one that just came of the bike in some stage of cleaning and re-oiling. This way you are never tempted to put a freshly re-oiled filter on the bike. I was always told to let the filter set at least overnight. Freshly oiled filter on a carbed 4 stroke can plug a pilot jet.
    I know it doesn't apply to your EFI 4 stroke, but a year ago or so Fred Hoess warned me that Bio filter oils were causing problems on 2 stroke bottom ends. It comes off filter through carb and coats crank bearings causing failures.
    Norman
  9. gandalf Husqvarna
    AA Class

I keep meaning to get around to ordering a 2nd one. When I do, I'll go ahead and get a third. Thanks.