08 sm450r valve check interval

Discussion in 'Common Items on Husqvarnas: Tires/tubes/grips/etc' started by SwitchThrottle, Aug 6, 2008.

1. SwitchThrottle Husqvarna
    A Class

I have been digging around, and am seeing different intervals for checking the valves. The dealer told me that I could run 3k between em. Seems kinda long on sucha high strung motor. Another forum said every 2nd or 3rd oil change. How often are you guys doing it?

I just tipped into the 900 mile marker, and am going to do my first one this weekend.
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    they have been pretty rock solid. i would think it would be good to do every 500 or so miles. if it gets hard to start you waited to long :D
  3. Bobby Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TXC310Rx2,
    Other Motorcycles:
    G450X, HP2E, 10 R12ADV, GasGas280
    On an SMR used for street use 500-750 for the first break-in and every 1500 or more after that will probably be just fine. If you are racing or doing track days, plan on checking valves every 10 hours or 500 miles IMHO.
  4. SwitchThrottle Husqvarna
    A Class

At how many miles were they out of spec and required a shim replace? As for Race vs Street duty.....I race everything on the street, and every stop light is a drag light tree (It's not my fault, it's the bikes fault....it's evil I tell you.) :eek: I do not however run at race pace for more than a minute or two at a clip. I think I will check them every oil change at first, then every other once I get an idea for how often they need tweekin.
  5. wulf22 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I think the 500 mile check should be good enough. I checked my 07 SMR450 at 300 miles and they were dead on. I will check them again at 1000 miles. I do not race, but ride it pretty hard. It's not my fault either....it LIKES it that way.:)
  6. Bobby Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TXC310Rx2,
    Other Motorcycles:
    G450X, HP2E, 10 R12ADV, GasGas280
    at just under 800 miles our SMR450 had one shim out of spec and another on the cusp of out being out of spec and it was used as a shop demo = agressive street riding.

on my TXC510 with 15 hours of aggressive woods riding (approximately 300 miles) had one shim on the verge of being out of spec but acceptible.
  7. SwitchThrottle Husqvarna
    A Class

Rut row rorge....I ride the piss out of my bike. I better order shims before I even open it up. It's not hard starting (well...only after an off idle flameout, which I hear is due to the lean stock settings and is fixed by the power up kit), and it still seems plenty punchy. I have noticed a little more popping on decel recently.