1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

07 TE450 Starting

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by jonahrei, Jun 27, 2009.

1. jonahrei Husqvarna
    B Class

I've been lurking on this forum for about a 2 months now. I just picked up my first Husky a few days ago and had it shipped down here from Oregon. It's a used bike w/ 450 miles and did not come w/ an owners manual. This is probably a stupid question, but I'm wondering how to use the electric start and what the procedure is? I've tried using all the buttons on the right side of the handlebars to no avail. I can start it w/ the kickstart no problem. Am I missing something here? Is something broken?

Thanks.
  2. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    The red button on the righthand side is the ignition on/off switch. The button is in the "ignition on" position when it is out. When it is in, it is in the "ignition off" position. Make sure that it it in the "ignition on" position, then with the clutch pulled in, hit the starter button which is the black button just under the red ignition button. This should get the motor spinning unless you have other electrical issues.
  3. jonahrei Husqvarna
    B Class

Yeah, i've tried that. Still doesn't do anything. Is there a sensor somewhere to tell the motor the clutch, brake or anything is pulled in?
  4. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    There's a clutch switch. You should see some wiring that runs on down the handlebar, coming out of the inboard end of your master cylinder. If somebody put the wrong clutch lever on the bike, it may not press the switch, or the switch could be gone, or if it's there, it might be broken. It could be a bad wiring or connections with the starter button. Time to check things out and get out the old multi meter. Could be the solenoid or a maybe a fuse...:excuseme: Go through each part of the system and eliminate each area as you go.
  5. jonahrei Husqvarna
    B Class

Okay, I'll try that next. I have to wait a bit until I get my radiators back from the shop. :thumbsdown:

I'll keep you posted.
  6. columbia510 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I purchased a different magura clutch lever that did not have the nipple to push the microswitch to engage the starter and my bike wouldn't start. You can short out the leads to bypass.
  7. mxracernumber1 Husqvarna
    A Class

check relay fuse

Last week, I was prepping mine for a race. I ALWAYS start the bike at home a couple hours before I put it on the trialer to make sure I have time to correct any problem that might have popped up before I get to where I'm going with it-even if it has been cranked the day before.

During this pre-ride inspection, the starter would not turn over. The day before, I had been installing a launch device and heard a wire arcing. It was the leads to the horn (which I removed some months ago). The covering had fallen off of the end of the lead and it was arcing to the frame. I corrected the problem, but the next day the bike would not crank. I checked the battery. There are 2 fuses on the battery/relay assembly. One is a spare. The shorting wire had caused this fuse to blow. I replaced it with the accompanying spare and it fired right off. If you do not have a spare under there, you will need a std. 15amp automotive fuse if yours is blown.

Lift the seat off of the bike, the battery is directly beneath. You will see the fuse right on top. If that is the problem and you replace it and it keeps blowing, then more than likely you have a bare wire somewhere touching something and causing the fuse to blow.
  8. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Last year the connectors got damaged and came loose on my turn signal relay and it caused that fuse to blow.
  9. jonahrei Husqvarna
    B Class

That was the very first thing I checked. None of them were blown.
  10. jonahrei Husqvarna
    B Class

I have the original Magura lever.

I'll have to wait until i get the radiators back to do some more research.
  11. columbia510 Husqvarna
    AA Class

12. jonahrei Husqvarna
    B Class