(07 Sm610)Help with stuck flywheel locknut

Discussion in '610/630' started by FlywheelBill, Aug 23, 2016.

1. FlywheelBill Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM610
    Hello,

I need some help with the flywheel lock nut that won't budge. I'd like to change my cam and put the bike back together while the weather is still nice.
    I don't have the flywheel tool that youre supposed to use. Did anyone here have success with getting the nut off without it?
    My locknut is stuck so tight that putting a coin in the gears on the clutch side just squashed the coin without it holding the gears. Any help is appreciated.
  2. Theo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM 610 I.E.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 YZ250
    Hi,
    are you talking about the tool which holds the flywheel still while you remove the nut?
    I didn't use it; I used a (pneumatic) impact wrench and it worked.
  3. FlywheelBill Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM610

Yeah thats the flywheel holding tool I mentioned.

If you did it with an impact wrench, did you do anything particular to keep the wheel and gears from spinning?
  4. Theo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM 610 I.E.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 YZ250
    No, I just held the flywheel with a hand, because, according to my experience, most of the times the impact wrench doesn't need the object with the nut to be very firmly still.
    You can do that in a safe way, wearing protective gloves and holding the flywheel in a way in which, if it spins, it will just rub on the palm of your (glove-protected) hand.