1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

06, te450 starter

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by dbldtop, Nov 25, 2015.

1. dbldtop Husqvarna
    AA Class

I am on a riding trip now, and my starter makes a grinder noise and does not drive the piston. Is this a starter replacement or something else?
  2. JonXX Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    360CR 360WR SM610 TC450 TXC250 TC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hondas, Harleys, Yammys & a squid
    Does it have a manual compression release? If so, do you use it? If it has one, what happens when you fully engage the release and hit the button?

First thing I would do is lean the bike way over on its left side. Then pull the clutch cover off, and with a flashlight, look behind the clutch basket at the eleven o'clock position and see if the gear train spins when you hit the button. If the gears move and the clutch basket doesn't, the likely culprit is the sprag bearing on the crankshaft. If nothing moves, put the cover back on, stand the bike back up, pull the starter out and look at the teeth on it. The whole process shouldn't take more than 20 minutes.
  3. dbldtop Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks for the reply, I just got back home from my trip. I learned that my starter gear/shaft is broken. ( I called Halls cycle and the tech their walked me through my experience to the point that he's fairly certain that my starter gear is broke) Further, I tried to kick start my bike and the kick start shaft is now broken. I kick with no recoil. I bumped started the bike to get back to camp and I heard a grinding noise on the right side of the bike. I fear that a part broke off from my kick starter and is now floating around. I am bringing the bike into the shop this week.
    Thanks again Jonxx, My bike has been great to me, just change the oil/air on a regular basis and after 7000+ miles, this is the first "Major" repair.
  4. JonXX Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    360CR 360WR SM610 TC450 TXC250 TC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hondas, Harleys, Yammys & a squid
    Oh no :( I'm sorry to hear that. There was an update on the kickstart shaft and gears on that generation of 450s and 510s, yours may not have received the updated kickstarter group internals.
  5. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    Thought the issue was with the 05's. Had an 06-sweet as
  6. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

There is an updated kick start shaft and boss for the 06-07 models but most dealers do not know about it and most people just order the same old shaft because it is cheaper than buying the shaft and boss.
    JonXX likes this.