1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

06 TE250 Good bike/bad timing?

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by MtnSlayer, Oct 24, 2016.

1. MtnSlayer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husqvarna Motorcycle: its a chainsaw
    Other Motorcycles:
    1982 honda cb750 brat
    Help a guy get into the sport! I'm looking for a plated dirt bike on the cheap so I can afford an swm 650 when they make it stateside. I'm only 160lbs w/o gear and haven't ridden in 15 years so I think I need a small bike to learn good technique off-road. I found an 06 te 250 with 1700 mile for $2500. Does this sound like a good buy for me? I'm worried I won't be able to find parts. Is this a real concern? Are there any other issues with this model to be aware of?
  2. gtluke Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE250
    Other Motorcycles:
    just sold them all
    I bought a 2010 TE250 this year and have absolutely zero regrets. I'm 155lbs dry and also had a 15ish year lapse of dirt bike riding. Haven't outgrown it yet, I don't feel like I need more motor (thought I live in north jersey, it's super rocky tight woods here)
    Not sure how different the 06 and 2010 are but I love mine. Mine's even been lowered an inch and it really helps with my annoyingly short legs. A lot of the things I love about mine might not exist on an 06 though. I love the fuel injection and electric start. Just no worries at all about anything. Always starts right up.
  3. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    Sounds like a good bike for what you want to do. Parts aren't a problem at all ('cept maybe clutch stuff??? CRS). The price sounds a hair-bit high... I'd think maybe more like $2k, but the mileage is good and maybe it's super-clean; that'd be your call of course.

I don't know much about '06s but I am not aware of any major problems. Last year of the blue/yellow plastic IIRC.

again let me state- parts won't be a big issue.

good luck.
  4. Up-tite Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Just having a plate on it is worth $1500.00
    Later George
  5. MtnSlayer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    1982 honda cb750 brat
    cool. i'm thinking this is a good idea and now have a good range for negotiation $2k(ave) - 2500 (super clean). Thanks!
  6. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    The 06 250 had the same bottom end as the 450 and 510 so its bullet proof.
    I always put a lick of two stroke oil in the fuel say 200:1. This acts as a valve cushion, assists top end/ring lubrication and also stops the fuel from going off.
    Clean the filter when necessary and change oil every 500kms/300 miles and the oil filter every second oil change.
    Might be an idea to have the fork oil flushed.
    If you hear a slight rattle from the rear sometimes it is only the floating rear disc-cant hear it on the move.
    Get an iridium spark plug, really helps with cold weather starting-I suspect better fuel economy as well.
    While you are learning to re-skill, not a bad time to re-grease the swing arm, linkage and the stem bearings, pack the front and rear wheel bearings while you are at it-good arvo shed time.

I have ridden an 05 250 belonging to a friend (I had an 06 450 at the time). I thought the 250 was very nimble in the bush. He had a recluse clutch installed-brilliant on steep hills etc.
    Enjoy your bike, they are well made and reliable.

Cheers
    Trenchcoat85 likes this.
  7. MtnSlayer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    1982 honda cb750 brat
    Thanks, now I'm sure the te250 is the bike for me. I have a problem tho, I found a good deal on an '07 te610. This is the bike I dream of doing light adventure, high speed desert and canyon cruising on. I thought I'd never find a good one so I planned on waiting for the swm rs650. Am I a fool to buy the 610 now without the skills to ride a big bike or a fool to skip it for an swm which is heavier, has less travel, less ground clearance and a much more narrow trans?

Either way I'm buying a husky this week
  8. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Two very different bikes. One is close ratio bush scalpel. The other an excellent Dual purpose bike with an off road orientation. Power delivery would not be an issue as it is all in the wrist. You need to consider what you are likely to do the most of and buy that bike (unless you can shell out for two beasts).
  9. MtnSlayer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    1982 honda cb750 brat
    I'll be buying two bike for sure, just can't do two bikes (and an engagement ring) at the same time. I was just going to finance the swm and pay cash for the te250. But the te610 popped up, it seems like a better bike than the swm (suspension and WR trans). However, I checked it out and it is far from mint. It's not too beat tho and pulls nicely. The gauges are fried so I can't verify mileage, the owner says it's no more than 11,00" and wants $3500. Does that sound like a reasonable price?
  10. vmxwinn Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR500,CR430,XC430,OR250,WR400,TE250
    Other Motorcycles:
    To many to list
    It really depends on what type of riding you are going to do. More dirt, Go for the 250. More street and fire roads go for the 610.

But buying a bike that is abused you could very well be chasing your tail around fixing shit. I'd personally go for the 250 if it is mint. And buy a bigger bike down the road
  11. Herb Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CB400 four, CRF250L, XL250R
    For what it's worth I bought this 2006 TE250 last March with ca. 3000 miles on it and it runs like clockwork. I paid $2400 for it and later bought all new red/black ufo plastics (I was told the original 2006 ones were yellow/grey) which cost me about $120. Did some major cleaning shining & re-greasing on it too. The carb is dripping gas but I just turn the gas off when it stands still (needs a new o-ring).

Mine had been lowered by the previous owner, so it fits me well, I am 5 foot 8.

It has plenty of power (I guess all the original 34 hps or so are still there) but will get to 10k rpm at around 62mph. Not the most comfortable bike for rides longer than say 1hr, but I have other bikes for that.

Attached Files:

MtnSlayer and Dirtdame like this.
  12. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Nothing more to say really, just think it through and take the best option. However, the 610 might be a tad used by the sound of it-caveat emptor there.
  13. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    reasonable price? nothing spectacular. it may be okay though. 11,000 miles could be a lot of miles (or it could be medium mileage- depends on the use). if you meant 1,100 miles- probably it is in good shape... but I'm doubting this since "it is far from mint". ( and if you really meant 1,100 INCHES- grab it... that thing has barely gone a hundred feet.)

you're gonna hit deals like this all the time, so no need to panic and pull the trigger. you can wait for the right bike to come along.

(and, if after all this, you are still jonesin' for this 610, don't go there with more than $2800 in your pocket. bet'cha you spend the difference fixing it.)
  14. MtnSlayer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    1982 honda cb750 brat
    Haha ya that was a typo not 1,100 inches - 11,000 miles. Thanks for all your input guys. After running the 610 on the highway at 70 mph I realized this bike is not THAT comfortable for long rides at highway speed's. It's also probably too much bike for me in the dirt right now. So I passed on it and will look to buy a bigger more comfortable bike later (swm super dual, tiger 800, ?). So now its between the 06 TE250 with about 1800 miles in good condition for $2500 (or maybe a little less) or an 09 TE450 with 2500 miles for $3500 (or maybe a little less).

If you will please entertain me: the 250 is completely stock. The 450 has an FMF slip on, PC, reworked seat, new chain sprocket and A few other goodies.

I don't think I could go wrong with the TE250, I think the 450 could be too much bike but could also be a bike that I grow into. I would most likely install a mild throttle cam and throttle stop while I get back the basics. I'm going to pull the trigger on one of these this weekend so please help me decide: which bike is right?
    Trenchcoat85 likes this.
  15. MtnSlayer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    1982 honda cb750 brat
    @Herb Wow that has to be one of the cleanest 11-year-old dirt bikes around! Nice bike!!
  16. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    hmmm. I think the prices on both are close. If the final price is $1000 apart no matter where you end up, I'd think the 250 would be slightly better for your needs, and you'd come closer to recovering your money when you sold it in 2 years. Although the 450 is a chugger and really not *that* different than the 250 (aside from FI) I believe... and the PC (III?) might be nice. Older Husky Rider got 20+k miles out of his- it's a good read too (look it up).

really, flipping a coin might be your best bet.

good luck.
  17. MtnSlayer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    1982 honda cb750 brat
    I flipped a coin the '09 450 won out. I got it for $3250, it was well loved in a very rocky desert so it's not the prittiest bike anymore, but it was well maintained and owned by a senior citizen since new. He did all the small fixes and basic power mods, except fine tune the fi controller. Unfortunately it's the jd power surge 6x not the pc, it's running pretty rich (lots of decel pop) but felt linear and strong. Any suggested threads on how to approach this tuner on this bike? I'm going to need new tires too, there's endless fun threads on tires. But maybe you guys would give me your favorites (socal riders especially)?
  18. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    congratulations. sounds about perfect. (also- sounds lean on deceleration- which is not a major problem or even a minor one). I think my son has a JD and is happy with it.
  19. Bugsinteeth Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 450, TXC450
    Other Motorcycles:
    XT600
    [I'm going to need new tires too, there's endless fun threads on tires. But maybe you guys would give me your favorites (socal riders especially)?[/quote]

Enjoy your new bike!

So Cal tires= Maxxis Desert It, an oldie but a goodie.
    They last a long time in the rocky desert conditions. Are relatively easy on the wallet. For the rear I recommend the 110 size (desert IT)as comes stock on your husky. A lot of people like to put on wide tires but I think the 110 works/handles better on the 450 husky's.

Cheers.
    Bugs
  20. Herb Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CB400 four, CRF250L, XL250R
    Post some pics !

My TE250 looks pretty good because I gave it a very thorough cleaning at some point, and bought all new plastics!

I suggest you look online (google, ebay) for new UFO plastics for your Husky - if you feel like it - and with very little money ~ $150 it will look like a new bike.

Btw the plastics are very easy to exchange, and they fit over a wide range of models. Let me know if you need some links.

One example : https://www.amazon.com/UFO-Plastics-Front-Fender-Husqvarna/dp/compatibility-chart/B00230NACA

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Motorcycle-Fenders-for-Husqvarna-TE250/35561/bn_21029218/i.html