1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

'06 SMR 510 Engine Rebuild

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by FReQRiDeR, Apr 27, 2017.

1. FReQRiDeR Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    510 SMR ITALIAN
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati 888 SPO
    Well, It's time to rebuild the '06 SMR510, after almost 13,000 miles. About 2 yrs ago, the timing chain let loose and the intake valves hit the piston, bending one and breaking the cam bearing retainer yoke. I have since purchased an almost new head with valves, piston, rod, cam chain and tension guides. The plan is to send the crank and cams out for new rod and bearings, and change the main, crank bearings as well. My question is, assuming there is no play or crunchyness/ or they are not pitted, what other bearings should I change while I'm at it? Countershaft? Anything else I should look out for or do? I have never rebuilt one of these before. I'm looking for some advice, thanks.

Bike ran great until the little 2 cent bracket holding the cam chain guide rattled loose, compromising the timing. Man, am I going to locktite that thing back on! ;) I also found the clutch basket nut was finger tight! Prob locktite that as well!

The only other thing that ever went wrong with it was the stator winding bolts stripped out and wore my flywheel to the magnets! That happened when I first bought it, so It was covered. Seems like its always something stupid coming loose and wreaking havok on this thing! I think I'm going to just locktite everything for good measure! ;)
  2. Flash319 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TC510
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM640 Supermoto
    If that engine has a balance shaft I would change the bearing for it as well. i would just check the bearings for radial play and have a good look at the races and if good leave them alone. You could cause more problems by changing them. I would also inspect the oil pump gears carefully and make sure any oil sprayers are working and not plugged.