1st Ride, WR125: We Have A Winner, Folks!

Discussion in 'Get togethers - Reports' started by WoodsChick, Mar 15, 2010.

1. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    Wow...where do I begin? Riding a new bike is fun and all, but it will never be further from perfect than it is the first time you ride it. I knew this and was not expecting much. Waay too tall, motor probably not jetted correctly, harsh suspension, etc. I figured as long as I could keep the motor from falling on its face and keep the wheels on the ground I'd call it a success.

How about I just say that I had way more fun riding on Saturday and Sunday than I've had in a very long time! I was a little nervous about the WR being so tall but that only resulted in one tip-over at a dead stop. We managed to jet away the horrific bog in the mid that would not let me lift the front end over trail junk, but that only resulted in a most brutal transition. My only biff of the weekend was due to getting nothing but sky when trying to make my way up a very slick rock face on a twisty uphill trail. I'd made it up the day before when it was running a bit tamer, but it was a whole `nother ball of wax after the first jetting change :eek: As we sat at the top of the hill making yet another jetting change I heard a bunch of big-bore 4strokes wailing away down below in the same spot. I didn't feel so bad after that:D

Anyway, the little WR125 is all I hoped it would be...and more! I'm pretty excited to think of how awesome it's going to be once we get the motor tuned to my satisfaction and get the suspension reigned in a little. The bike feels super light, super willing to go anywhere I point it, easy to keep under control and easy to recover from mistakes. I was definitely riding this bike, as opposed to the bike riding me. It's like a really good boyfriend...it always wants to do exactly what I want to do, and it does it really well:)

Rip around like I'm the 2nd coming of Brad Lackey?
    "Sure, no problem, WC, my clutch is right here"
    Go faster than prudent on the open stuff?
    "Turn the throttle, dear, lots of top end, no waiting."
    Want to get back to camp because I've been ripping around all day and I'm spent and can't hold on anymore?
    "Relax, WC, snick me into 3rd and point me towards camp. I'll get you there safe and sound with no drama."

Truly a superb machine in every respect. And it's only going to get even more superb-er :thumbsup:

Nice and shiny still...
    [IMG]

[IMG]

I told you it was tall!
    [IMG]

Trying to soften up the suspension...
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Is it almost Saturday?

VeryHappyChick
  2. Poopy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WB165
  3. XLEnduroMan Heroes Ride Huskys. The others follow.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '18 Husqvarna 701 Enduro.
    Other Motorcycles:
    '20 Ducati Hypermotard 950.
    Congrats on your beautiful new toy! :thumbsup: Are you going to put the lights on it? The WR's come with lights, right?

We check last Sat. on the Husky special parts catalog -35mm lower seat. Sadly they said it was back ordered with no eta.

We got some HiFlo air filters from Up-Tite. I think they breath better then the stock Twin Air's. Always need a clean air filer on the ready.
  4. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Your love affair with the new scoot will only get better with time. :cheers: They just don't make a more fun bike to ride. :thumbsup:

Walt
  5. Blazes Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Eddie Seel 634SMR works Replica -
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilla Dosodoro 2X 2009 610
    Great stuff--now how does the saying go ? Men and their Toys-- Sorry --- WoodsChick and HER toy --hehe Nice Pics
  6. Jerulator Husqvarna
    AA Class

That looks alot like Middle Creek or Stoneyford ! Am I right ? Congrats on the new pocket rocket (although a tall pocket rocket). All these threads on 2-strokes have gotten me all nostalgic and thinking about one for myself. Mental note to self...........do NOT go to Motoxotica with my old 2004 TC 450 in my truck and title in my hand ! If I did that, I probably would need to find a new home :eek: Have fun out there Woodschick and keep the rubber side down !
    I looked at the photos again and would have to say Stoneyford.
  7. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    Good deal!:cheers: Maybe we can get a mod to move this to 2 stroke forum...... :busted:
  8. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Well, :applause::applause::applause::applause: to you, too! :)

Yup, got lights in my big box of stuff. Figured I'd leave it off til I got the bike a little closer to the ground:D I don't know if 35mm lower is going to do it for me, but it might be a good addition to the suspension revalve/lowering job. I'll have to look into that. Thanks for the heads-up:thumbsup: I've got 2 extra air filters for it already, that should last me awhile.

Yeah, that's the best part...it's only going to get better! It really was a joyous and carefree ride. Just pure fun, no weirdness. I am very hopeful for the future:)

:lol: Thanks, Blazes. I'm really surprised Eric thought to stop and take photos. He never even does that on dualsport rides, much less a real dirt ride. I'm glad he did:)

Yep, you called it! It was absolutely perfect on Saturday, even though the upper reaches were snowed in. We got to the top of 20, only to be turned around by snow at the intersection with the road. It was only slightly dusty on the exposed ridgetops on Sunday, but stellar in the trees.

A word of advice...don't ride one of these bikes unless you plan on buying one:busted: Big 4-strokes are really fun, I love the big fistful of power and what it can do for me, but I really like the instant flickability of this bike. It feels weightless when riding it, and it is going to allow me to go much faster for longer periods of time. It stops on a dime with 1 finger on the lever, and it doesn't feel like I'm trying to rein in a runaway freight train. Getting the 450 to slow down and change direction takes so much more effort for me. Even with the suspension far from perfect for me, I'm going to go out on a limb, here, and say that this is the best handling bike I've ever ridden. It just feels so...positive :thumbsup:

Gee, sorry, Norman. I guess I'm just used to putting my ride reports in the ride reports section :p

WoodsChick
  9. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    Great looking bit of gear, the bike looks great as well. Congratulations on your new toy.
    PS the chain looked a bit tight.
  10. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    You post it where you want.... You're the Super Mod!:oldman: Enjoy your little rocket.:thumbsup:
  11. Poopy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WB165
  12. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Yep, its a great bike and will only get superb-er :thumbsup: Glad you liked it. More you ride it the more the odd motor power spread will make more sense and you will learn to work it and be able to outclimb a lot of bikes. I am always amazed what that bike will scratch it's way up. Good stuff.
  13. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    dozens of them, kicked to the curb
    i'm still learning mine after a handfull of rides and now that i'm getting (sorta) serious about pointing this thing up cobby stuff the tractability of this particular 125 is something else. i've ridden a few 125's since '88 but this has a really good clutch and flywheel effect and the open space around the engine is not by accident, it really helps keep the bike cool during long periods of zero mph/low speed clutch smoking. neat bike and theres a lot more to it than i've discovered so far and i dont see me outgrowing it anytime soon it just keeps wanting more than i can give it right now.

enjoy.
  14. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Whups! Somehow missed this post.:excuseme: Looks like a fabulous ride. Wish I were rich (or even properly employed would work), so I could join the "tiddler club".:D
  15. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    Man see all the stuff I miss in one week...:banghead:

Nice Ride Woodsie, That suspension is going to take a while to break in I guess.

Great pictures. Have you thought about lowering the linkage a bit?
  16. skid Husqvarna
    A Class

Nah Norm ....
    that would be like preaching to the choir
    Here is good ...
    gotta spread the word ....
    better yet ....
    Move it to the 4t section :lol:
  17. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    dozens of them, kicked to the curb
    p/s: go to the hardware store, get some small key rings or use a little nail to replace the cheezy kotter keys in the foot peg pins, stick a washer up there too if it will fit between the lug and whatever you use to hold it in place. lost the rt one in the rocks this weekend in a VERY steep section.

no brakes!

:eek:

i almost died.

:doh:
  18. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Well congrats and I knew you would enjoy the mountain bike with motor 125. I love my little Husky Cr125 and your big 4-stroke will end up a dust collector like my 09 TXC 510 LOL. Enjoy!
  19. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    :eek: Yes, I did read that! I'm glad you weren't seriously hurt. I think it's kinda weird that there isn't a nut on the other end, or maybe it should be a pin with a cotter pin or something...

You make some very good points, pvuke:thumbsup: My bike never got hot, even though I was literally creeping up stuff just to see if I could get away with it. Incredible tractability, for sure. The bike does seem to have many layers, like an onion. Just when I think it is a lightweight tractor, here comes the rocketship top end. Just when I think it's a fantastic bike for railing the super-tight gnarly trails, here comes the wide open stuff where the bike outshines all others in my garage. I'm really looking forward to getting acquainted with all the various personalities :)

Yeah, we ran it on some pretty good stuff, as I wanted to see what it could do. I think if it were a 250 or 300 I'd be thinking, "Yeah, it's a pretty good bike" because it would be expected to excell in those situations. The fact that it weighs nothing, has a shrinky-dink motor, stops on a dime, steers almost by intuition and is so easy to ride through/up that stuff...well, it has me thinking that this a magic machine, pure and simple :excuseme:

Join the tiddler club? Dang, girl, you're the president! You're the only one here with a CR85 :lol: Let's go ride Kennedy Meadows and I'll ride your KDX (or any other of the many bikes in your stable:)) while you ride the WR...whaddaya say?

Thought about it? Dude...it's a necessity:lol: I'm planning on hammering it up at a track this weekend (maybe...if my knees can take it) in order to get the suspension broken in sooner so I have some concrete info for Les.

:lol: Yeah, some folks never go into the 2-stroke forum. I'm like a born-again rider now and I need to knock on a few doors with my WR125 tracts :D

Good grief...you guys are scaring me! I have new PivotPegz so hopefully that little problem is now a non-issue.

I rode my SV650 to work the last couple of days and, man, that thing feels like a giant GoldWing! I think I'll ride the 610 to work tomorrow. I rode it around when I got home today and it looks like a behemoth next to the 125 :lol:

WoodsChick
  20. Poopy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WB165
    Finally got a chance to ride mine on my test trail network....they are Freakin fun!

I havent ridden a 125 since 1997, and i didnt ride it much back then. The WR is actually an easier transition from a 4 stroke than I thought it would be.

The first few laps on the single track...and it was the weirdest feeling...like there was nothing under me. I guess thats the best way to explain it.

I really miss the Tracula front tire I had on my other bike though....definitely want to get one. And the LHRB...thats a biggy, I think I could rip on this thing with the brakes in the proper spot!

:thumbsup: