New HDB Turn Signals on a 610

Discussion in '610/630' started by xymotic, Mar 5, 2010.

1. xymotic Husqvarna
    AA Class

I've had a lot (LOT) of problems breaking signals on My TE. I've bought cheap ones, and expensive ones, and they all suck. Mostly they are just invisible, but I've also had them fall apart when I installed them. None of them survive a dirtect hit.

In Baja, I broke the sub-frame, and the entire tail came with it.
    [IMG]

So When I got back I set about fixing this mess once and for all. Fortunately In Baja I met a fellow inmate named Roundstock, and he graciously offered to help me fix my sub-frame. :clap Without his magical TIG skills I'd still be dealing with this crap. You gotta love bumping into someone at Alfonsina's and making a friend.

First we (he) welded and re-enforced the sub-frame.
    [IMG]

Next we made a new fender support out of much thicker plate than husky but thinner than my disastrous one:
    [IMG]

I was so excited to get the sub-frame fixed, I sort of forgot about the lighting!

I was going to re-mount mt DRC tail light, and maybe just put some U-Channel to extend it out to the back of the bike. But the DRC bracket was a bit cracked, and was looking like it wasn't gonna make it. I did find some U Channel the right size but McMaster Carr wanted like 40 bucks for it.

Roundstock sent me to a local place, where I found scrap U Channel exactly the right size for $2 a pound.

So we made a 90 degree bend in it to mount the tail light, made it extra long to mount the extra brake strobe, and and then we (he) welded some re-enforcements/signal mounts and this is the result.
    [IMG]

I was going to mount the strobe above but it looked kinda dorky. Below, it blocks the Lic Plate light pretty effectively, but when I thought about it, it's not like the plate was really visible anyway. If I get a ticket I'll add a couple of those LED lice plate bolts Harley guys use...

I'd discovered that HDB was making signals. I LOVE my HDB hand guards, it's the best made stuff I've ever seen, so I ordered the lights. They are basically hand made, but let me tell you, they are obviously tough. the rears are billet Aluminum, and for $40 per pair I feel one of the best things I've EVER bought. He could easily charge $100 a set for these beauties.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

After a coat of Rust-Oleaum this is the finished result:
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

The wiring still needs a little more work but is usable for now
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

The HDB lights are VERY bright. Though they do suffer a bit because they are visible mostly straight back. So, in order of brightness, the DRC (meh)

The HDB signals, pretty dang good.

And then my Whelan police strobe light, which is kinda insanely annoyingly bright.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Like I said, HDB makes AMAZING stuff, My dash is pretty bling now as well with a custom top clamp, ignition relocation, iPod Remote and Powerlet outlet.
    [IMG]

I've spent over $200 in CRAPPY lighting, that constantly seems to break. This time I'm hopeful it'll last. And if nothing else, at least these lights are visible!!!

Total cost for the tail light setup, $15 in Aluminum, $40 for Signals and $1.39 Pepsi for Roundstock

Here's a Vid that shows it all in action.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/7902758@N05/4409051257/

[IMG]

I also put in some real chafe protection... (not shown is a spiral loom I wrapped around this stuff.) I used prodigious amounts of very good ($$) marine Heat Shrink (it has Glue in it that melts and seals completely) And I decided to install bullet connectors so it can be removed if I need to do it the fiftieth time.
    [IMG]

And generally cleaned up the rat's nest.
    [IMG]

Here's a better shot of the whole unit:
    [IMG]

I got pulled over by the most anally retentive cop in the whole world, He didn't notice my blatantly illegal brake flasher, and he made me turn on my signals to see if they worked...

I passed:busted:
  2. mtne Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08' TE610 + 08'TE610 sumo'd
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 950SE
    Was the Baja damage from looping it? How well do you think this one will hold up? The temp part I made for there I'm worried is a touch thick and might actually be too beefy or hurt if it hit's me...... I like it and will be working on something similar before too long.
  3. Muddy Waters Husqvarna
    AA Class

Ouch, my eyes…Bright light, bright light !!!
    That brake flasher is bright, almost burned my retina :busted:

Man Xy; I’ve got :notworthy:dashboard envy
    The blinkers turned up nicely, only reason I did my custom job was because I couldn’t wait for HDB to come up with their own

:thumbsup:
  4. Yossarian Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Multistrada 1200 Enduro; Tiger 800XC
    From the side, what are the rear signal dimensions?

(Top to bottom and front to back)

I want to know if they would fit on a Baja Designs fender.

Thanks!
  5. xymotic Husqvarna
    AA Class

I think they are about 1" High and maybe 2 long, just off the top of my head, I'll try to get you a actual measurement tomorrow.
  6. xymotic Husqvarna
    AA Class

NOPE.

It was from Weight, (and high speed Washboard road) I had 8# of Gas (1 Gal Rotopax) and maybe 3-4 of tools, but the tools were way up front by the seat. Another guy had a 1.5 Kolpin tank back there and also broke his subframe.

I think this one will hold up well, I dropped it three times today, 3-4 Yesterday :lol:
  7. xymotic Husqvarna
    AA Class

On your SuperMoto the invisible thing you did is way better. It looks absolutely awesome. But the Dashboard Envy you can 'fix' for just a few Bucks:cool:
    (and not very many at that, I mean the powerlet outlet cost more than the Custom Machined parts!)

The brake flasher is something. It's amazing how when I hit the brakes, suddenly cars leave me 5-6 car lengths. $50 on eBay:thumbsup:
  8. Muddy Waters Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks for the kind words Xy :cheers:
    Hey I was wondering; how is the side visibility of the HDB blinkers ?

:thumbsup:
  9. xymotic Husqvarna
    AA Class

it's Meh, maybe even not real good. I am planning on making some wedges and angling them a bit.
  10. Rattletrap Husqvarna
    AA Class

Is that a LED light set-up inside the stock brake light housing? If so where did you get it?

Your new sub-frame looks good.
  11. Navaho6 Husqvarna
    B Class

Looks great.

You may consider a flexible connection to the license plate. I lost two plates before I finally learned that lesson.
  12. xymotic Husqvarna
    AA Class

the tail/brake light is the light from a DRC tail piece.
  13. xymotic Husqvarna
    AA Class

yeah, two ride's and this'n's already got a 1" crack in it. I ordered the baja designs frame/back plate but what do you mean by flexible connection?
  14. danbartol Husqvarna
    AA Class

Sweet set-up!
  15. Navaho6 Husqvarna
    B Class

A complete backing plate would work ok. I use a piece of thick rubber (1/4") so that there is flex. The rubber is attached to the bike and acts like a hinge so that all vibration or direct hits do not get transmitted to the plate.
  16. XLEnduroMan Heroes Ride Huskys. The others follow.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '18 Husqvarna 701 Enduro.
    Other Motorcycles:
    '20 Ducati Hypermotard 950.
    All that beautiful work xymotic and you already have a crack? :banghead: The enduro tail light that comes in the '08 p/u kit and I think with '09 dohc TE's is a UFO "Phantom" that is DOT. This 1 here: http://www.ufoplast.com/en/product-details/mx-enduro/plate-holder/PP01218 It looks different here but is affordable IMO: http://www.oemcycle.com/Item/product/5186/ I see you run a DRC. Those aren't DOT, right? I run the Phantom and some incandescent WPS turn signals, not DOT but stick out on rubber stalks and look dot IMO. No pull overs. MotoXotica is where I get my WPS signals. Maybe a featherlight/flexable tail section is what your bike needs? I have the PMB rack on my 510, that I plan to remove after yours and bentaero's pics :eek: but the UFO/WPS look good together imo. http://www.cafehusky.com/forums/showpost.php?p=66539&postcount=196