1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc WR125 Top end apart: need advice (pics)

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by jsleeper, Feb 27, 2010.

1. jsleeper Husqvarna
    AA Class

OK. I took a look at the topend today. The bike has 49.5 hours. Here are the pics of the piston and cylinder. Can you let me know what you think? From the looks of things, do I need rings, piston, cylinder damaged? Does the bike look too rich or lean.

I plan on a new piston and rings at the least, but am curious if I even need a new piston. Maybe clean the carbon deposits and slap on a new ring?

I have not tested the compression, because I do not have a tester. Need to get one.

thanks
    JS

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    I think it looks good for 50 hours. Look more like 5 hours to me. See the little band in the center of the ring? That's the only part that's wore in. It looks like you could have gone much longer.

That's normally a lot of hours on a single ring 125, but it looks like you could throw a ring on it and go another 50 hours.

Just my two cents.
  3. jsleeper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks! I should mention that it probably only has about 10-15 hours of real hard on the pipe riding (when I ride it). The rest of the hours were spent at a flowing and mellow pace on single and double track by my wife. She started to get on the pipe the last few hours, then become pregnant...halting her riding for a bit :)

JS
  4. Dailydrifter99 Husqvarna
    C Class

oh no, the wr can make chicks pregnant?!?'

:P congrats man, hope everything will go okay :)

im no 2stroke expert, but ive read alot of articles on break in, doesnt it look like the ring hasnt sealed properly?
  5. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    I've never seen carbon on the piston below the ring on any of my 125's. It looks almost as though it's being subjected to heat. Pull the wrist pin and see if there is any blueing on it. If it's hard to get out that can also be an indication that it is being subjected to too much heat. Was the ring on right-side up?

Is it possible to get clearer photos of the cylinder walls and the piston, especially the exhaust side?

And congrats on the expanding family:cheers: I guess that's one way to get access to that killer little bike :lol:

WoodsChick
  6. Rusty 2 Husqvarna
    A Class

Wow I wouldn't touch that one with a ten foot,................:lol:

Seriously though,...what a way to weasel her bike away from her!
    Congrats man!....:cheers:

Anyone notice the two little holes on the front side of the piston?
    We were just discussing that the other day.
    shawbagga likes this.
  7. razornpc Husqvarna
    AA Class

man, i wish mine looked that good after 10 hours!

id just ring it, what was your compression?

when i ringed mine last summer i had 120 psi (way low) ringed it and brought it clear back to life!
  8. jsleeper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hi, thanks for the input! The ring is installed copper side up, not sure if that is correct. The only time the top end was removed was by the dealer to do the PV fix. Here are pics of everything. There is some wear on the piston skirt on the exhaust side. I am concerned about the carbon below the ring. It was easy to remove the wrist pin, and I do not see any blueing, but a bit of wear.

I am running 32/5th clip/450 main. After a really hard run on 3/4/5 gear double track I can smell hot coolant (the smell of the motor), but have never seen coolant flow out the overflow tube...and have smelled this on other bikes too.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

JS
  9. jsleeper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Haha. Were you given the "birds, bees, and 2-strokes" talk as a kid?

Sometimes extreme measures are needed to gain access to the preferred bike of the family!

JS
  10. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    Honestly, I didn't want to offened anybody, but.....:excuseme:
  11. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda

Well, that stuff all looks normal, but the cylinder is really hard to see.
    I don't know what the Husky ring is supposed to look like, and I don't know if the copper goes on top or not, but there is usually a stamp of some sort on the ring right at the end gap. It is usually a letter or a number. That stamp should be facing up.

WoodsChick
  12. razornpc Husqvarna
    AA Class

so those are the holes in the piston ive never seen!

cool, i will be drilling my next pison!
  13. jsleeper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Well. This is the only bike I have properly heat cycled, etc., etc.
    The only thing is...not sure what happened at the dealer before I got the bike. The cylinder was removed for the PV fix, he did "test" ride it. Maybe he put too much oil on the ring, or road it hard, or road it lean?

What do you do for break in? Suggestions are welcomed.

JS
  14. jsleeper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks for the help. I am going to through a ring on it, run it for another 10 hours and see how it looks then. I am curious if it will have even more torque and hp with the ring properly seated.

Then throw on the 144 kit in the summer, yeah!

JS
  15. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

JS,

Your piston looks great. Clean the carbon off the top, throw a new ring in it and ride it another 50 hours. I will be getting one of the OEM 144 kits from Kelly shortly and report on how it compares.

Walt

PS, If you decide to just bore out your existing jug, just send it to George at Uptite. He is close to you and does great work.
  16. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250

No, No, it's fine. It just looked like it had hardly been rode. I wanted to say, "Dude, you ride like a girl". Then you explained it was your wifes bike. :lol:

If it was my bike, I'd wipe the bore down really good with a contact type cleaner to get some of the glaze off the bore. Pop on a new ring and put it together bone dry. I'd keep the plug out, ground it and kick it over about a dozens times as hard as I could.

Then I'd put the plug in, fire it up with as little choke as I could get away with and not let it idle, reving it pretty hard until good and warm. Let it cool a bit then ride it like I stole it.
  17. Sendman Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husky 144
    no pics anymore