MotoZ tires 200 mile report...

Discussion in 'Common Items on Husqvarnas: Tires/tubes/grips/etc' started by Motosportz, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    For full disclosure I must say I sell these so take that for what it is.

I have had these on for 200+ miles now. The cool thing is I got to ride them in very different conditions so far. I first started with a 24 hr race which was a mix of new grass track, old silt and rock on baked clay race course, and new tilled desert loam. Then the next 2 weekends were moist forest single track and then drenched forest single track with rain.

So...

Bike - 08 TXC450

Tires - Motos Tractionator X Circuit 21 - 140/18

Terrain used in - High dez grass, rocks baked clay , deep silt. Clay based forest soil, rocks, moist leaf covered pine needle trails, hard slick clay. Rain, mud.

Wear:

So far they are showing hardly any wear. The edges are starting the round a little and there are a few shallow rock slices. Some of the stuff we ride is volcanic mountain areas and jagged rocks are everywhere. I have been anything but nice to the tire and hammer is relentlessly on purpose. I want to know how it is going to last. So far very good.

Straight line traction:

Very good. One of the aspects of the rear tire is how well it stays centered under power and down not want to wander side to side. Very confidence inspiring and allows you to put more power down then you might think wise. On slick uphills it has overall less traction than a new trials tire but not a lot less. Very good on hill climbs and in pretty muck all type of condition i have encountered.

Cornering:

Very predictable. This tire just drifts out exactly like you would think it would and never gets to far out. I really like this aspect of this tire. The rear tire drifts perfectly. The Front is very good as well and very predictable. In very slick NW mud I was smiling all day and just really enjoying myself. They really work well with my TXC and complement it fully.

Braking power:

Amazing. Super stopping power and control.

200 mile grade:

Love them. Super predictable, very versatile, seem to wear great. What's not to like. :excuseme:

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

- I am hoping some of you that I have sold tires to or that have these will chime in as you use them.

Thanks.

[IMG]
  2. Colo moto CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    7602racing.com
    Kelly, what air pressure are you running? Earlier posts said a person can run higher pressures and the tires still give a 11-12 psi feeling. I like to run my pressures a little lower than most, but this becomes a problem in rocks.
  3. jmetteer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC300 CR125 CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250F, TRANSALP
    You get the gross understatement of the day award for that one.

Hammering that tire on gravel roads, brake slides, roost etc. was the order of the day for the 55 miles I rode with Kelly.

On the brief 5 miles I tried those tires they did nothing strange, were very controllable and reacted to large doses of throttle with great forward momentum.:cheers: I still think 450's have more power than anyone needs. :D

Hmm, do they come in 17" they may work well on my Transalp. :cool:

Later,
  4. Joliet Husqvarna
    AA Class

I put a 18/130 Desert HT on my DRZ and rode 500 miles this weekend, mostly off road, with about 150 miles of pavement, most of that at 70mph. We rode from San Diego to Arizona and back, mostly off-road. Mixture of rocky trails, gravel roads up to 80 mph, sand washes some straight high-speed washes and some slow winding 1st and second gear stuff. Through the Imperial dunes and the sand around Superstition and typical desert cross country stuff. I was packed fairly heavy, bike, rider and gear about 560 lbs. I ran 15 lbs of pressure and I have to say I am very very impressed with the traction in every condition I came across.

A couple of things I had to get used to was, in deep sand I am used to just dumping the clutch and spinning until I can get up on top of the sand, but this tire bit so much I found myself using the clutch often to keep the revs up so as not to stall. Also on fast gravel roads I like to steer with the rear and drift on the corners, but I couldn't do that with this tire, I tried to break it loose a couple of times and just gave up and let it follow the front.

The times I did manage to get the back loose (usually in sand or off camber turn) some power and weight on the peg and it would bite very predictably.

If the little grooves in the tire are the wear bars, it looks like I am about halfway there with no signs of chunking at all. The groves are not very deep and I will continue to use the tire until it stops preforming well. I will have to keep you posted on that.

On the pavement I got a little tire noise at speeds around 20 to 30 mph and a little vibration at lower speeds also, but once I hit 40 it was smooth and quiet. At 60 I could feel almost no vibration in the bar or pegs, with a good seat and 20 years younger, I could ride comfortably all day at that speed;).

I would say this tire gives me better straight line acceleration than my 18/140 Terraflex, and it looks like it will last twice as long. Much easier to put on and take off the rim also (forgot it was directional the first time I mounted it):banghead:.

I am not the worlds best rider, and I have not tried but about 6 different rear tires on my bikes, but this one is the best so far. I will be ordering some more before you guys snag them all and I have to wait for the next batch to arrive:D. Ken
  5. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

I have the Tractionator HT 130/18 on my TE 610. Ive got over 800 miles now on the rear and its about half way worn. Most of it was this years baja 1000 course, and considerable pavement miles.

The one word that comes to mind--used in both the prior posts--is how 'predictable' these tires are.

Its really something, the rear is just SO freakin predictable, gives great confidence. Under power the traction is un-real. The point at which it starts to break away is far beyond any other tire ive used. And it just hangs there, slightly breaking, still getting things done. Its a neat feeling.

Ive run 20 lbs air with excellent performance. No chunking. Great wearing. Awesome hook up, breaking, etc. Its their idea to run more air. The natural rubber has far more give and take. Hence the higher air to prevent pinch flats, but the feeling of a conventional tire with, say 12-14 lbs. As stated the natural rubber makes the tires a breeze to mount.

I've run every type of tire i know of. Even some weird brands from east europe. And ive gotten 'sponsorship' help from Dunlop, and my race partner is sponsored by Maxxis, i go thru 15-20 rear tires a year, just sayin i spend a lot of time spinning the rear wheel, going nowhere.......but from now on i will mostly use MotoZ.

Its the real thing. An advancement in tire technology. Might not be for everyone--its not a trials tire, its not DOT, not sure how it will work with a mousse, and its not FIM legal--but for me these tires are simply amazing. Plus the cost is really nice. With the strengthening dollar they should be able to keep the costs down-these tires are from Australia, which has lost 30% to the dollar in recent months.

I know MotoZ tires are getting buzz in the baja race world now, and will be used by a few teams in the coming baja 1000.

In 2-3 years they will be common. Early adaptors rejoice.

I have zero relation with MotoZ. But im glad to read others are having a good experience with them, and thats in terrain i dont usually ride.
  6. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Yep so much so I really enjoy hanging it out in corners and doing a nice sweeping arc. Even in the tight stuff it is EZ to control where the tire is on the trail. I really like that. I got into a very good flow last weekend in the slick stuff and never got out of control. Brake sliding into corners is also VERY controlled with these tires.

I just converted a friend to a rear trials tire and he loves it but I'm hoping he will try these next time on his WR250 as I want to see how they work on a 2 stroke.
  7. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    How long have these tires been made?

Could it be one of the reasons the Australian riders do so well?
  8. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    No they do well because they LOVE motorcycles and are crazy :D
    jaxsplatt and robertk61 like this.
  9. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Some of you have some great ride reports but don't mention the other tires you have tried and are drawing your comparison opinions from.
  10. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Good point.

Dislike Dunlops and Mich for the most part.

Like:
    Kenda trackamster rear
    Bridgestone 40x 20x M59 front
    Dunlop 803 trials front / rear
    Pirelli (whatever came on my CR husky (good tires)

The trails tires I really like but do have trade-offs. I split the sidewall out on the rear pretty quick which was a fear of mine when I installed them and saw how lightweight the sidewalls are. Many people I ride with do not have this issue. It kinda dampened my enthusiasm for them.
  11. Colo moto CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    7602racing.com
    Hey kelly, what tire pressures are you running?
  12. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
  13. Colo moto CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    7602racing.com
    Cool thanks.
  14. jritch Husqvarna
    B Class

How much for a set?
  15. Dieselox4 Husqvarna
    A Class

Kelly,

What do you think of the sizing? Are they the same as what they read, or are they like some where their size arent close to what they read? What sizes are you carrying? What style do you carry?

Thanks,
    mike
  16. crb345 Husqvarna
    B Class

I run S-12 and really love them, but am always willing to try something new. Which motoz tire would you think is similar for Michigan sand and roots.
  17. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Email me. motosportz@gmail.com I'm giving a bit of a discount. about $55-60 for the front $65-$80 for the rear depending on model and size. $15-$30 shipping US depending on where you are at.
  18. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Sizing seems good. I'm running a 130 on the rear as thats all they had in the X-Circuit and it is about right for a 450. Maybe slightly large but works great. I would say pretty standard sizing like dunlop etc.
  19. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Well I don't know. Lots of people here love the S12's as well. Never my favorite tire. I think they work good but I always rip them up as they are light duty in comparison. For some reason I flat those a lot and also rip knobs off. That said I think these work as good or better for me and seem indestructible. Don;t get a lot of sand here but might go to an area this weekend that is all sand / pumice sand type stuff. I think they will do great there. Seem to be very versatile working in deep grass loam, roots, logs, slick clay, baked clay, rocks, gravel. The X-circuit on my bike has been very accommodating and predictable on everything so far.

here is the type of stuff i have tried in on so far...

http://motosportz.smugmug.com/gallery/6505826_BPw9Q#413314486_bJiDH

http://motosportz.smugmug.com/gallery/6384210_Hofow#403725867_TxYiB
  20. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class