1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc Wallybean's power valve governor spring kit

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Drew Smith, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Drew Smith Husqvarna
    AA Class

I have recived wallys kit about two weeks ago I can tell you that he put alot of good work in this project. the kit comes with nice common sence easy to understand instructions. and provides a wide range of options. I wanted to start a new thread to discuss the kit, but if you havent read 125/144 power valve governor springs there is good background there.
    I dont crave a powerful bike or quick acceleration and am satisfyed with the std. 125 size, my main problem was the abrupt tyransition when the power valve opened (full closed to full openm in 200 rpm's) I had tried earlyer the single lighter spring that changed the opening point but not the abrupt nature. the two spring set up (in Wallys kit) definatly solves that problem for me. For my first test i used the middle rate "yellow" spring and the silver small spring looking for an opening over the largest range of RPM the initial opening 6200 RPM seemed about right for me, most of the riding here is very technical and i like to be able to torque around most of the time.
    On sunday 1/31/2010 I rode a round of the Square deal riders winter mud&snow scrambles with my friends Dail & Bugsey Wakefield I had a good ride in my age group my age group and while Bugsey was getting redy for the pro race he had some problem with his throttle on his Husky and with two minuts to go we put his number on my bike and he got third in the pro race it was a good result there is alot of talented riders training for their upcoming series.
    I plan to try a bit narrower RPM range of opening by useing the "blue spring that should provide for full opening sooner. In any case i consider this a big sucess and my thanks to walt and all the others who have commented. the 125's are great bikes with performance like this there could be a trend twards smaller light bikes. :thumbsup:
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Very good writeup Drew, Thanks! I know you have had this small bike concept in your pocket for years so it is great to hear your opinions and real world thoughts on it. Seems like our riding areas are similar enough (technical woods) so I might try the setting you used to start. Was it very noticeable change in the power? My WR is working really well as is but i did notice a jetting induced (different altitude / conditions) slight bog last ride. Some big hill climbs in that area and some are kinda open and fast so power and power transitions are important there. Other than that I could not be more happy with the bike. Hauls my 210 pound butt up some nasty stuff. on flat ground and down hills there is no better. I have my spring kit just not the time to pull the pipe and install. Will do soon. plus wanted to get a few rides on it after riding the TXC for some time now.

Thanks.
  3. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Thank you for the review Drew. I appreciate the effort as I am too close to the project to be completely unbiased at this point. One thing I can point out to everyone is that I have been at the mercy of what is already made and on shelves for this project. What I really wanted was to add another inner spring that is the same length as the silver spring but is about 2/3rds the strength. There is no such animal on anyones shelves. You can easily have a custom spring made but the expense is prohibitive for what I was trying to do(inexpensive kit). To give you another perspective the difference in length of the 3 inner springs is only 1/32" and yet that change makes a huge difference in engagement characteristics. I can actually get that spring dimension and a good spring to match but it requires a .030" spacer and that just complicates the kit and adds something else to go wrong. I still think that you can find a vast area of adjustment using the given springs, I just wish I could find the perfect spring configuration for everyone.

Walt
  4. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    dozens of them, kicked to the curb
    Wallybean for mayor of 125 PV Springtown! :banana::applause::thumbsup::busted:
  5. water racer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

http://www.knoxenduro.com Knoxville, Tennessee
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Beta 250RR
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Husqvarna WR125 1997 Fantic
    Finally got around to ordering Walts spring kit, got it from Hall's in two days.
    Very nice kit, simple clear instructions with pictures. I went with Drews set up(yellow large and silver small).
    Definately makes a difference, power comes on sooner, but over a wider rpm range.
    This seemed to make the bike run cleaner through the midrange, so now I am going to go back and try some more jetting combinations to try and get it the way I want it.
    Before, if I got it rich enough on the bottom to pull, it would go fat in the middle, so I hope now I can get closer.
    I am having trouble putting this in words, but it is really great the work that is being put into this bike by Cafe Husky members, Wally Bean, Motosportz, and what are the chances of a top supension tuner like Drew Smith riding a wr125 to make it easier to get dialed in.
    Thanks, GP
  6. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I'd vote for him. I raise my hand as a member of the small light bike club. It took me a 07 Honda 450R and then a 09 TXC 510 to gat to a 08 Husky CR125 but I am very happy now. I will be adding the Walt kit to my 125 soon! Thanks again for your time and effort in developing the kit and sharing it with us. I would also like to thank the testers for sharing their results.
  7. Pedec Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I have not got my kit yet but after hearing the good results so far I can not wait. So I ride 90% motorcross with 08 cr125 and I am hoping the yellow + silver spring combo will work for me. What I would like to improve is the way the bike hits the powerband. I want it to be a little sooner and a little smoother so I will not need to slip clutch as much to get into the powerband getting out of corners and with less wheel spin. The way I ride the cr125 is a point and shoot method with factory spring which is fun but I think I could be faster and in more control if it possible for bike to hit sooner with less kick and last a little longer. Thanks Wallybean and everbody for making this such a fun bike to own.
  8. jsleeper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Well. I too ordered the kit today. Truthfully, I am pretty happy with the powerband of the bike right now (after adjusting the linkage), but I think I can get an even better set-up with the new springs. Thanks Walt for making this kit! What are you going to make next for the bike? How about that 167cc mod. Ha ha.

As a side note...I ordered:

1 ring
    2 circlips
    1 base gasket
    1 PV spring kit
    1 stock skid plate
    1 set of hardware for skid plate

at a whopping total of: $129 :lol::applause:

So far at 50 hours of ride time (albeit some very slow ride time)

I have put:

1 set of handguards
    A lot of bottles of premix
    1 spark arrested muffler

at an estimated: $300-400

What a great bike!

I need:

2 new tires, not because they are super worn, but do not work in dry conditions (seem to work great in the mud though)
    1 new chain (still in good shape, but feel like I need to change it for some reason)
    2 new grips
    radiator guards (although a bit late)

It seems like the usual wear and tear parts last forever on this WR125 :excuseme: Maybe I am not used to having a 125?

JS
  9. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

JS,

Get some motoz's and you will learn the same disdain that many of us have for the stock Mich comps.

Pedec,

Try the yellow spring with the green inner first. I think that might me what you are looking for.

Walt