1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc 2009 (or 2010, if the same thing) WR125 first impressions

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by pvduke, Jan 11, 2010.

1. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    dozens of them, kicked to the curb
    Rider experience:
    Trail riding: since 1985
    10 years: marathon/hard enduro rider (retired)
    10 years: alpine moto SAR first responder (retired)
    Currently: semi-retired casual trail rider
    50 y/o, 5'7", 150 lbs.
    Conditioning: second ride this year. (mommy!)
    Terrain: VERY tight ST, DT, 2500' ski-jump climbs, hard pan clay, rocky soil, rocky climbs. Typical Southwestern foothills, cayon and mountain stuff.
    Weather: 50*
    Atlitude: 3000' - 6000'

Ok, the scoot -
    As was, 100% stock out of the box sans FMF sparky and some prep (wire, teflon tape the perches, jetting: 460m, 32.5 plilot, rich needle on 4th groove, 4.0 slide) and a 52th rear sprocket. It's greard way to tall for endruo stock. Jetting was very close but a tad lean on top for constant WFO. Will go 470m and drop the needle one click. Used Motul T2 @ one bottle to 4.8 gallons of gas. Plug came out dark red after a WFO test. Dark Red? Obv a tad lean on top for, again, extended WFO. So I chilled in the open sections.

Motor:
    I'm a 2-stroke man. I like 4-strokes, to a point and, they do get better mileage. But I LOVE 2-strokes.
    Wicked cool race-type rrrrip with good flywheel effect. Signs off fast so shift faster. Good, useable power everywhere.
    Clutch never sniveled and I like sllllliiiipping the clutch to control wheel spin when paddling. One finger opperation. Should get even more tractable as the suspension break's-in.
    Runs as cool as a cucumber so far... it was cool out so....
    Clutch did swell up some on the first hard climb. It has a quick star-adjuster so that's a nice touch as I had it set too loose intially, I like a lot of play in my clutch cable.

Trans:
    9/10

Suspension:
    F: .42 spring. Plush damper's react to clickers very nicely. Has built in bleeders- nice touch Husky! This fork is good.
    R: Sag- 4" cold. No complaints. Ditto.

Brakes:
    WOW. Abuse proof. I dragged the rear on some 2500' seat-suckers for at least 10 mins. No fade. Rotor is still gray. Excellent.

Egros:
    Bike is tall. I'm short. I'm used to this as a fact of life with this or any brand. They are all tall to me. Lowering the bike 4" wouldn't help so what's the point- it is what it is. Park near a rock or something. I'm done cutting seats as it really screws up ergos. Keep yer feet on the pegs where they belong and keep the drive going. There, problem solved.
    Has a Moto feel and lay out and, you can really get up close to the gas cap. Bars adjust up and down (spacers) and fwd and back (reverse clamps).
    Good controls and bits as well.
    Peg's don't drag- yay!
    Hand gaurds took a beating and did not fail.

Tires: Mich. Enduro Comp- why they installed wet's with long gears is beyond me. Spare yourself at least 500 massive moments on the trail and dump these for some decent hard pan tires. I had little or no purchase on dry or hard ground/rocks. Worked OK in the moister stuff but not enough to justify them being on there.

Handling:
    Stable, flickable, changes direction at will. This thing is a light and tight little whip.
    Would be a good LMS bike with some mods and I could 24hr this thing if I was a lil younger and still in one piece. I like it, a LOT. Small powerplants make a big difference. Ask your science teacher for more info there. Short shift and fly in the tight stuff or clutch it and rip in the open (and say guh-by to your fuel mileage).

Range:
    40 kilomters from the stock tank so far. Had some left but not much and I have not measured it yet- but whats the point.
    I wasn't WFO the whole time as there's only a couple of spots for that. But we was motorin' just the same all over the throttle range.

Noise:
    Air box is loud on the pipe. Stock muff is loud. Box needs tape/foam for wet crossings anyways and the FMF sparky tones the roar down. Problem solved, again.

Lights: adequate for tight stuff. Tail lamp is nice and bright too. I'll be doing some night-ride's at the place noted above this summer as is so...do join in!

Computer: since you cant see in the tank it's nice they included an odometer.

Servicing- easyest bike ever to work on.

Recomendations:
    Is it for everyone? No. It will be too tall for the "camper-n-quad" crowd that likes sofa's with 20" seat heights and push-button start's.
    If your are serious about riding? Yes.
    Can you grow into this bike? Yes.
    Can you advance with this bike. Yes.
    Easy to ride? Very. And, I don't feel half as worked as I usually do on a larger 4-stroke.

I give it a 9.5 due to the tiny tank and I'm sick of lugging gas on my back....the Acerbis fork-tank is a great option though and an easy fix for now and I have one on the way from my old riding (always trying to kill me in the Gnarly in Az., God he put on some punishing 12 hour death-marches) "buddy". This bike is also a little touchstone to an old freind, an '88 (or '87??)WRE 125.

It's a premium morotcycle with premium bits. Mine was cheap. Or- spend twice that almost for another brand. Yer choice. You WILL be hard pressed to have this much fun for so little money.

There ya have it. One old fart's take on the new WR125...FWIW, YMMV, usual disclaimers, it's nap time, go away.

Ok here we go... used a box camera so pardon the quality or donate a camera.

1- I think the guy in the mirror want's to pass.

2- Bike says "LEMME OUTTA HERE MAN I WANNA PLAY!" ....ok ok keep yer seat on, jeez.

3- G0 10' turn right: super fun switchback sidehill track with 3-4' water bar launches, 2000' climb:

4- More fun stuff, not even flat:

5- 200' up- a real beech when it's snotty out, this is NOT flat, what is it with camera's making pitches look flat?

- kevin.

Attached Files:

2. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    pics cont:

6- More fun stuff going up:

7- Be prepared- 2 liter bottles of gas plus etc.

8- P-51 Mustang checking out the new Husky. This guy was freakin' nuts! Sorry about the crappy pic. (approx 9 o'clock in the frame. Small dot.)

9- Step-up to more fun ST, edge trail. DO NOT go off here. Super fun left-to-right with mini-straights between the turns. Watch for head-on's.

10- Secret Sauce: belly on the tank, trail doubles back on itself several times for a few miles. The little Husky shines here. Best tight-stuff bike ever. Feet up. Steer and gas. No drama. Got harpooned a couple time and had to stop for band-aid's.

Attached Files:

3. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    10- continued: paddle, paddle paddle.

Attached Files:

4. fury1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

great pictures,did you mount the tailight?? looks like the kind they used back in the day a few years ago
  5. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Wow great ride report on your Wr125. I picked up a new 08 CR125 a few months back for $2,999.00 OTD and my only regret was not picking up the other two the dealer had for that price. Husky 125's are awsome bikes. I just turned 51 a few days ago but this little 125 makes me feel like a kid again. Thanks for the report and pics.; enjoy.
  6. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:

I think it's one of them Acerbis Mol-soft ones with a "Husqvarna" brand strip where the "Acerbis" strip usually is.

Copy that- thanks John.
  7. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ooops! almost forgot... the post ride shot. Notice the team spirit bit's o' flare on the lid.

Attached Files:

8. jaked308 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE511, 2012 TC250, 2002 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 KLX250sf, 2005 TTR125LE (wifes)
    Great report pvduke!!! You guys are selling me on a WR 125...well more like a WR 144!!
  9. MattR 2T Forum Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WB165, SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ1
    Nice report! Thanks for posting.
  10. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Where in so calif are you I want to test ride a WR 125 I have only raced CR 125 and now they will not import the CR I have been told maybe next year but if the Wr works
    then i might go Wr So i guest what i am asking can i ride your bike please John
  11. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Great review. :cheers:

Walt
  12. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    John- I live in San Pedro. PM for more info. Might be interesting to see if the stock suspension can be firmed up enough for desert w/o getting hacky. How much do you weigh and do you have any smaller rear sprockets? The big diff between the CR and WR, as far as I can tell, is ignition, flywheel/mass/lighting, suspension valving, rear wheel. I have not ridden the '08, the ergo's are supposed to be different. They are different from my '07. The seat is flatter. Bar to peg relationship is different too, more forward.

Be advised, tank is SMALL. 1.8 gals. I spoke to P3 and he is mocking up molds now/soon for a plastic tank and prototypes are forthcoming. As said, the Acerbis aux fork tank is an option.

I am calling IMS/Clarke today to see what's up too...

Thanks to the rest for the positive responses, you are very welcome. I'm happy with the bike. With some more seat time and a little more fiddling I'll be golden.

Pulled the pipe last nite and the piston is perfect.
  13. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    Called Clarke and IMS.

No tanks in the works for this bike and no plans for same. IMS is local and I volunteered my bike for a mold model but they declined. Simply no plans in the works at either place for a larger tank for the new generation 125.

Back to the drawing board.... (or an Acerbis fork-mounted tank)
  14. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

As for the suspention i love mine 2 National # 1 plates in 2 different classes shows it works.I originally sent it to FBF in Penn 6000 mile round trip .But Eraldo and Peadro have worked with Ty Davis and now
    Since Ty lives just down the road i have been going to Ty
    My weight is 170 with out gear on
    As for sprockets i go bigger on the rear 52 tooth gear it down and it will still go 70 mph plus
    Yes the CR has a different flywheel and stator but for 100 dollars
    i had it rewound and can run big LED lights
    I am alittle scared to get a WR since my CR works so good out of the box i swear i have never adjusted anything on the motor or carb in 4 years The bike just works but it will not collect Husky Bucks anymore
    Can you beleive my son will pull up to the line at the National Hare and Hound race next weeken on a 5 year old bike But with a # 1 on it
    A few new 125 would look a lot better be it a Wr or CR

You should try to make it out next weeken to Luceren for the National Team Husky will be there and it is posted on www.district37ama.org that Husky will have a demo day with new bikes to test ride
    Sat Jan 23 demo day Sun Jan 24 the race
  15. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    I'm working the next 3 weekends. But looks like you can try a WR at the demo sooner than I can hook up with you so...there ya go!

I doubt mine will do 70+ with the 52th I have on the back now. Maybe with the 50th it'll get closer.

I'd stick with the your current bike for now. It's dialed so why change the formula, but, I see your point with the Husky Bucks.

Give the new one a shot at the demo and see how ya like it. That's a great oppertunity to do a back to back comparo under the conditions you'll be racing in.
  16. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    Second ride, First Blood: 100+ kilometers on the clock.

Was out zipping around on the 'Buzz-Bomb' Saturday getting some more seat time in. Speaking of, the seat came in nicely. It's comfy. Not too soft, definitely not too firm. My roomie thinks it's too hard. He rides a Honda so...what's he know.

I was really in the ether and starting to feel some confidence and trust in the bike. Challenged myself a little on one climb and nailed it w/ no dabs and that fueled the stoke. The bike handles stupid-good, so well I'm sitting way too much. It's a wicked quick Cadillac that handles like a whip.

About 40 mins later I came up to "Jaws".
    And stopped.
    Jaws is a line, not a trail, my buddy and I stomped out several years ago.
    250' up, about a 1/4 mile long, if I recall, aint tried it in several years.
    The approach is only 20' of rocks and sand out of a ravine.
    Then, it's up a jagged, cross cut bench of black rock, then a hard left and up a narrow spine of loose rock with steps and holes to a ledge of steps and loose rock then repeat etc., with some more rocks thrown in for good measure. I've never cleaned it, I've seen a couple try and fail. Jaws gobbled em' right up. It's makeable, barely. I think a good trails rider can make it with some momentum. It's a steep, narrow rocky piece of crap w/o a rut to paddle in.
    In top form I've made it with a spotter, lot's of pushing and several stoppages on my 250 2T (who else rides with Para-cord in their pack or on yer fork, raise yer hand!).

I blew the first approach and swapped on some rocks, bulldog it, turn around and hop on, try again.

My heart is hammering now and I'm pumped, total cottonmouth, ears ringing, goggles off- it's go time. Been years since I felt the "GRRRRRR!".
    Third try I finally get up this lame little thing, it really aint much but the approach has me owned and I can't get momentum.
    I'm up on it at least and start up. Didn't get very far. Had forgotten to use the 'star wheel' on the clutch perch- again, clutch got hot, swelled up like they all do and she started to wheelie- neato, auto clutch when I don't need one!
    Lever is to the bar, bike's still trying to wheelie, I'm all over the place on top of baby heads, I'm kinda making progress- 'till I kill the motor getting up a step.

Ooops.

One gouged clutch cover- just missed the sight glass (why they put those there is beyond me), one gouged water pump cover, one dented pipe, rashed plastic and muffler.

I go off the side and down into the canyon. Told ya it was narrow. Bruised butt, holed pants, scratched lid, perforated ego, blody finger, I'm exhausted.

Climb back up with a full pack of tools, water and a half-gallon of gas. I manage to get the bike turned around and that's it for Jaws, gobbled up another one.
    I'm totally gassed.

Finished the day with some easier stuff and more ripping around single-track, some small climbs, yada yada yada.
    I played with the jetting some and ended up with:
    470m, needle clip #3, AS 1.25 turns out, 4.0 slide, 32.5 pilot. Motul 2T 710, 50:1 (one bottle to 5 gals.).
    No spooge, plug looks good on long WFO hardpan ski-jump climbs. Crisp, transitions between circuits is smooth w/o any hiccups or gurgles.

I need more seat time and some serious physical conditioning. This is my 3rd ride in about a year.
    Bike needs some armor and new tires, the Mich. Enduro Comp's are a bad joke on hard terrain.
    I'd like a 12th front sprocket but that might cause the chain to saw through the swing arm, need to reasearch this.

I'm also toying with the idea of a small fan, keep ya posted if that comes to be.
    I'm ordering an '08 bash plate and modifying it to fit as well. Will have some pics of same.

I got lucky and aint pushing it again 'till I get some armor for it and, I get more time on easier stuff.
    My new goal in life is to be the first 125, ever, up this thing.
    We are alsog getting some rain, probably 2' of the stuff and snow, so the trails should get some 'seasoning' and get a little gnarlyer. Yay!

Tips: watch the shock pre-load rings to air boot clearance. Mine rubs a tiny bit and I've been watching it. Aint rubbed through but, I'm removing the shock and slipping a heavy-duty mountain bike inner tube over the shock pre-load adjuster rings to prevent chaffing or possibly a hole in the air boot.
    Also, I zip-tie the rubber muffler union on both ends. There's grooves for it and zip-ties fit perfectly in there. Keeps the drool off your swing arm etc.

This 125 continues to impress.
    Once I stop riding it like a 250 2T, learn better clutch management/where the PV comes on in the ugly stuff I'll be golden.
    I'm pretty motivated, this bike is simply AWESOME and it totally rips big, huge, gargantuan ones.

Next report at 500 kilometers and by then I'll have the auxiliary tank and Motosportz goodies/armor on.

Crappy shot of the approach to Jaws from ground level sorta (why do cameras flatten stuff out?)

Attached Files:

17. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Wow sounds like a tough climb. Good reading and it sounds like you will make it to me. Cameras flatten stuff out so others can sit back and say "man I can make that, no problem". Thanks for the ride report.
  18. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks, John. :thumbsup:

And to think for a while there I thought no one cared about my bruised butt and rashed up brand new bike. ;) :lol:
  19. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    nice ride, be careful solo!
  20. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    and 4 me those FIM tires are king in gnarly stuff, I run em low, 10-12 psi mstly 12 f,,and 9-11 mostly 10 psi rear. I must really be the odd man out, as it seems no one likes them, at the moment I am mounting a pair of scorpion pro FIMs on my machine now.