1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc Eric Gorr 144 kit in an 09 WR125

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by wallybean, Oct 18, 2009.

1. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

I received my cylinder back from Eric Gore early last week and when my clutch got here from EFM on Friday I was able to get it running. I spent Saturday putting it through quite a few heat cycles and continued with a few more low rpm rides this morning. This afternoon I felt it was time to let it rip. Rip it does:cheers:

I chose to have Eric use a "more everywhere" approach to porting. I didn't want to give up what a 125 is to try and gain low end or lose any of the current low end to make it wildly rip on top. This is probably the most generic and limited work that he does on a big bore. All the ports were cleaned up and polished. He also slightly enlarged and minimally raised the tranfers and exhaust ports. I also had him leave compression stock so I could use pump premium. Over all this was a very professional job and really worth the $480 total cost I have invested.

Power? It really does have "significantly" more everywhere. It pulls clean and strong from idle on up and when the power valve opens you really need to be paying attention. I still have the weaker spring in the power valve and it is opening at about 6000 rpm. The little WR now pulls like a much bigger bike from 6000 to who knows how many rpms it will pull. I am not ready to let it scream to the end yet but it was getting to the top so fast in 6th it was easily pulling at least 5mph more than it would previously tapped out. I shut it down even though it was still pulling hard. I had spent all morning today lugging it around on the bottom end and was thrilled how well it pulled right off idle. It will now pull the little hills and ditch banks around the house in third gear just above idle without bogging. It certainly isn't a 360 but it should handle all the tight, gnarly crap that isn't steep without needing to wring its neck.

The Clutch:D I am a huge proponent of the auto pressure plate clutch. I had a rekluse pro on my WR 250, an EFM on my WR 360, and now I have another EFM on my WR144. This EFM auto clutch works just as well and flawlessly as the other two. The clutch retains complete stock operation with such a nice light pull that the 2 finger lever works effortlessly. The 250 and 360 respond wonderfully to the auto clutch and it makes riding them effortless even in the nastiest rock gardens and down fall. I can only hope for the same results on the 144 and so far it is responding perfectly. But until I have to jump some large down fall and walk it through a bunch of boulders, I won't really know.

I am writing this with by right arm encased in an ice pack from my wrist to my shoulder. I was just having so much fun ripping around the property I couldn't stop. Now I am in agony and the ice is only just taking the edge off. I hope I haven't set myself back so far that I can't go south in mid-November and really ride it.

I also want to send a shout out to P-3 and Eric Pirie. His carbon fiber pipe guard fits perfectly and looks great.

I will add a bunch of pictures later this week when I have a chance to clean it up.

Walt
  2. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Well thanks for the ride report Walt. I have sent Eric an email on his 144 for my 08 CR125.
  3. BlueHusky144 Husqvarna
    AA Class

+1 on EG's 144 kits. Glad your happy with it!
  4. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Hey BlueHusky144 I know you are running one so what does the kit do to piston ring life?
  5. BlueHusky144 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I noticed little difference in longevity between the 125 piston/ring compared to the 144. I ran the 144 kit for a year and replaced just the ring once and the piston/ring once.

I currently do not have a kit in my 08's because I don't feel they need it compard to the 06 125 I put the kit on.
  6. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Cool info, i might do this one day soon. I rode my new suspesnion and WOW is it amazing. If i get the motor to make 20% more power I'll freaking crap myself with how happy I will be. :D
  7. razornpc Husqvarna
    AA Class

the best investment you can make now is a compression gauge. new it should have about 180 psi. once your down around 160 psi its time to ring it.

mine was down to about 120 when i ringed it and just that brought it back to life, it was like a whole new bike again!.

have fun, with that little hot rod! youve got a newer version of what ive got! id love to get my hands on a newer cylinder and try some mad scientist $hit this winter!
  8. razornpc Husqvarna
    AA Class

also i found that richening up my pilot jet helped starting quite a bit.

mines an 06 though, maybe yours starts a little easier the way you are set up.
  9. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Razornpc,

I don't know but my jetting seems perfect(color is good). I am running what most of the other guys are with a 450 main, needle 4th slot from the top, 32.5 pilot, #4 slide, and air screw at 1.5 turns out. If anything it might be a little too perfect on top. I will probably go to a 460 just to be safe for my first real ride. The motor starts and idles flawlessly with barely a stab of the kick starter. Of course it is really fresh.

Kelly,

I think your friend can get 20% more power very easily. I would say that my seat of the pants dyno says that mine is close to that and I think you could certainly do more with the mid-range and not "lose" any bottom from stock. It is fast enough that the first time I lit it off I almost piled it into an 8' ditch bank because I got there so much faster than I was used to before.

I'll keep you all posted as I get more time on it.

Walt
  10. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Nice. Hope to hear back from him today.
  11. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Any news Kelly, because for now EG is on my "buy it now list"?
  12. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    I got to ride Joe Chod's '07 WR144 Saturday. Fury1 (Kevin) had come to try it out to buy it and we swapped bikes after he had decided to take it. The Eric Gorr 144 is really nice with more torque than my '09 WR125. I found I had to shift a little less on the 144. I'm glad I held out for the '09 though... the handling and ergos of the new frame are better and Kevin agreed. A 144 kit of some sort is in my future for sure!
  13. dfeckel Husqvarna
    AA Class

I think the EG 144 is in my future as well. Planning on putting in an EFM over the winter, along with a WER suspension revalve and maybe those lighter power valve springs. I'll do the 144 next year as a mid-season freshen up of the motor just before the rock runs of summer begin.
  14. fury1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

the new frame feels the same as my TXC,very planted and very stable,the 09 motor seemed to have a ton of bottom,but signed off a little early compared to the 144,it just had more power across the board,but we were riding in some pretty tight trails and were pretty slippery with some mud as well and couldnt really open up either bike
  15. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Eric must be very busy no response from my email. Walt any more seat time and WOT time?
  16. surfer1100 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WR250, Memories of past tiddlers.
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM-01 EN 125, 03 125 MX, 09 EN 155
    His site says he was closed all last month, he's probably playing catchup.:thumbsup:
  17. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

John,

He had told me he was going to be shut down in October so that he could do just what Surfer said and wasn't going to take any new orders until November. He should be back up and running this week. I would just send him a new e-mail or call him, he answers the phone himself and is very helpfull.

I am a cripple:censored: I probably won't get back on my scoot for another week or two. It is killing me.

Walt
  18. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Ok Walt I give him a call next week. Sorry to hear your'e out of action. Good luck to a full and speedy recovery. Thanks Walt and surfer.
  19. scrambler Husqvarna
    A Class

I think I'm going efm first....by mid to late year I would love the 144 kit ('08 cr125)
  20. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

An update on the 144 kit. I now have almost 200 miles on the kit. I did a compression test today and it was still at 175 lbs. It has only lost ~5 psi in about 15 hrs of riding.

I can't say enough about this motor. Pulls great from nothing to 11000 rpm. With my current PV spring it has a pipe of 5000 rpm.:thumbsup: Opens about 6000 rpm and runs out of gas at about 11000 rpm. Pulls like a raped ape throughout this range. Will walk my fat ass up almost any hill on the bottom end. In 6 days of riding I didn't stall out on a single hill or rock face. I did ride some steep gnarly rocky stuff too.

More on the PV 144 mod tomorrow.

Walt