1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Cr8eib-10 08 te450?????

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Mark Grant, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Mark Grant Husqvarna
    C Class

Howdy everyone. I'm going to upgrade the plug in this TE450 to a laser iridium at the request of the bike owner. I sized up the stock CR8EB to a CR8EIB-10. The Iridium plug is a little longer than the stock plug at the ground electrode by about 1.5mm. My question is...Is this the right iridium plug for the 08 TE450? Thank you in advance for your help.
  2. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
  3. rajobigguy Administrator

I think that the cr8eix is the correct one.
  4. Mark Grant Husqvarna
    C Class

Anybody know the difference between the CR8EIX and the CR8EIB-10? Like I said there is a 1.5mm difference in electrode length, and I have a box of these here already.
  5. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    I use the CR8EIX. I think the CR8EIB-10 is a projected tip.
  6. Mark Grant Husqvarna
    C Class

They are just so close the projection is only about 1.5mm. I have the CR8EIB-10 already, they are for the RMZ450. I'd hate to have to buy 4 to get the 1 I need. Anybody else have any input on this CR8EIB-10?
  7. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    I'm not a mechanic, but if it were my bike I would test how close things are at TDC and if there seems to be adequate clearance try it.
  8. MotoXotica Husqvarna
    AA Class

we use the denso IU24.comes with the right top as well.
  9. Mark Grant Husqvarna
    C Class

Measured and this is what I found. It seems the piston @ TDC is about 31.5mm's from where the spark plug seats on the head. The CR8EB measures 20mm's from the seating washer to the end of the ground electrode. That leaves about 11.5mm's of space from the bottom of the plug to the top of the piston. The electrode does hang out of the bottom of the plug a bit more than the CR8EB with the total length of the ground electrode being only 1.5mm's longer. Still leaving about 10mm's of Clarance (hehe). Wouldn't it be better to have the spark deeper into the combustion chamber? I'm thinking it might be a great spark plug, possibly better than the EIX because the spark will go off deeper in the engine. I'm really looking for somebody that knows these spark plugs and can drop some science on me. If I have time today (long shot) I'll call NGK and post what they say. :cheers:
  10. Mark Grant Husqvarna
    C Class

Had a few min. today to call NGK and talk to Brandon. Him and I have a good relationship and he really knows the NGK product line extremely well. As it turns out, the CR8EIB-10 is a superior choice to the CR8EIX and the Denso plug mentioned above by MotoXotica. The -10 only refers to the gap out of the box. It's at about .40, stock is closer to .32. In theory the electrode hanging down in the combustion chamber an extra 1.5mm is going to keep the plug cleaner because it will be further down in the combustion to burn off. It also has the "B" in the code, that refers to the cap. It's the correct one, not the threads like the EIX. The EIB looks just like the EB. Thought you guys would want to know the CR8EIB-10 is THE CORRECT iridium plug for the TE450, just re-gap it.
    Michelmoel likes this.
  11. Mark Grant Husqvarna
    C Class

Doesn't appear to be the best choice, try the CR8EIB-10. Although not tested on a Husky here, still all the same plugs. :thumbsup:

"DENSO IU24(Iridium /.4mm C.Electrode)(low 1-2mm projection)
    -Maintained good crisp throttle response and sound,with smooth running through all rev ranges.Eventially developed slight occasional mild fouling at low revs,(possibly due to low-projected tip not being fully in the hottest part of combustion for self-cleaning, causing some carbon build-up only if the bike is not always used at wide open throttle). Consumed more slightly more fuel then CPR8E,PMR8A,& ZMR7AP,again probably due to slightly less efficient combustion of being low-projection.
    Slightly uneven idle when starting from cold,but only for a minute."

Taken from http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122094
  12. rajobigguy Administrator

Hey Mark, although the extended electrode might work their might be some consequences. Often using an extended reach plug can interupt the flow around the combustion chamber. This might be good or it might be bad or may have no apprecialbe effect but it is a possibility. The other thing that you might encounter by having a longer reach plug is that the plug may get hotter because it is protrudeing farther into the flame front. Because these are a platinum/irridium alloy the plug will probably survive fine but having a hot spot in the cylinder could cause some issues. When you talk to NGK make sure that you're talking to someone who understands the application and not someone who is just reading off a FAQ sheet (salesman).
  13. Mark Grant Husqvarna
    C Class

When I called NGK and talked to Brandon we were talking about the TE450. The reach is only 1.5 mm's further. Not like the long reach that I'm sure you're thinking of, those are 4-5mm's longer. I will let you know Friday night how this works out. We're going for a ride and the proof will be in the pudding. I can tell you that we just fired the bike up and it seems to run much crisper and has noticeable more snap while in neutral on the stand. This bike was also running incredibly rich with the CR8EB. I anticipate this being a perfect iridium solution. Let you know Friday rajobigguy. :cheers:
  14. HUSKYnXJnWI Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09TE450
    ever come to a conclusion on this-

I have suspect issues with my cre8b and want to try something else- need to order soon...
  15. HUSKYnXJnWI Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09TE450
    Ok- Ordering today- so I am going to order 1 CR8eb (spare), 1 CR8eix (run it), and 1 CR8EIB-10 (test it)....

Seems the CR8EIX is and has performed well- the CR8EIB-10 sounds worth a try too- with the stud already permanently in place...

If anyone has more to add please do.

The bike seems quite tempermental to weak spark at low rpm in tight stuff with the fan running (I don't think its a volt/amp issue)- getting flame out- been there solved that, now there again. I dumped my old gas (mix of 91 octane and 110 gas that sat over winter) and put in fresh , cleaned the coil connections, cleaned the spark plug (about 500 miles on a CR8eb). Tried to replicate and could not get it to flame out again.... could have been the gas but I only seem to get 500 miles out of a spark plug with the CR8EB without having problems. It is not as clean as my CR8EK that is in my Ktm RFS after a year. I thought about using one of those too-
  16. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    I found this thread and it does have some info on the plugs ... I'm having a little finding a plug here and just wanted to follow up on what you might have discovered on this subject ...

From the jest of this, the CR8EB, CR8IX, and CR8EIB are acceptable plugs for my 08 TXC250 ... Are there any others you guys can recommend?