Spinning insert solution

Discussion in 'General (Main)' started by bm36, Aug 26, 2009.

1. bm36 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Bike: TE 450 ’08 with only 13 hours on the meter.
    Tank insert threads lubricated after every wash and the bolts gently tightened
    Two tank inserts started to spin when I tried to disassemble the bolts for lubrication.
    Inserts removed with a drill (spin and pull until insert comes out of the tank)
    The threads looked just fine. The problem seems to be the material combination brass and steel. The alignment surfaces seem to easily get stuck to each other.

Solution:
    Hole after removal of insert had a diameter of approx. 9mm.

[IMG]

A new insert was made with a suitable outer thread with a outer diameter of approx. 11mm (UNC 7/16-14) and the M5-iso inside. The old insert to the right.

[IMG]

The hole and new insert were cleaned and rubber reinforced glue were added.

[IMG]

A bolt and lock nut was used for the assembly

[IMG]

A drill was used for the tank assembly in order to get a proper alignment

[IMG]

Drill removed, use a wrench an a allen key to unlock an disassemble bolt.

[IMG]

All done! If the insert starts to spin it will now come out of the tank and could be reused.

[IMG]
    robertaccio and BadMotoWeazal like this.
  2. Reddog Husqvarna
    AA Class

Nice write up and pictures.
    Thanks for taking the time and sharing this repair. :cheers:
  3. 7point62 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2004 TE450
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 Kawasaki TR250
    Nice! I've not had the spinning insert isue yet but I read a lot about people who have, so I recently ran a plug tap down through mine to ease the tightness that a few were showing.

I wonder if there would be a market here for your repair mate. :)
  4. 7point62 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2004 TE450
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 Kawasaki TR250
    I think your theory is correct.When dissimilar metals are exposed to water they act as a tiny battery. Current flows and the movement of metal ions can fuse the parts together. It's called electrolytic corrosion. The solution is to use identical metal for both parts, or select metals with similar electrical properties, or have an insulating finish on the metal surfaces. Keeping water away from stuff isn't really an option on a dirtbike... [/geek reply]
  5. rajobigguy Administrator

Good writeup and nice idea. Rep points added.:thumbsup:
  6. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Looks very thorough, although when I had an insert spin, I managed to spin it out and just JBWeld it back in the hole. It never spun again.:)
  7. bm36 Husqvarna
    AA Class

It does not stop there. For example when using stainless steel bolts and nuts together they could easily seize if not lubricated properly.

I friend of mine with the same problem came up with a good idea to keep the inserts that are OK to start spinning.

The idea is to exchange the bolts for the plastics with stop screws. See drawing

[IMG]

I have ordered stainless stop screws (M5x16) that I will assemble in the inserts. The plastics will be attached by adding a washer and nut on the stop screw. If the stop screw gets stuck in the insert it is then possible to hold the stop screw in position with an allen wrench as you disassemble the nut.
  8. tadgh Husqvarna
    A Class

just curious about why anyone ever takes those shrouds off? when i take the tank off , the entire unit tank and shroud lifts off in one piece. is there any reason for taking them off at all?
  9. bm36 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Well, normally I'd say no. But I have ordered aftermarket plastics and would like to be able to change back when I like without having any damage done to the assembly.
  10. tadgh Husqvarna
    A Class

aha ok ..i was curious in case taking them off made some other task easier. :thumbsup:
  11. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
    No, except to change them out.
  12. Slowpoke Husqvarna
    AA Class

I put a dab of RTV silicone on the threads all bodywork fasteners before assembly. Keeps moisture, etc. out and provides a mild form of 'loctite'.

I've done this for years. Works great.
  13. bm36 Husqvarna
    AA Class

So, now I've recieved the stop screws I ordered. I also made some washers with the same dimensions as the original bolts. This picture below shows the parts.

[IMG]

This is how it looks like when assembled

[IMG]

Finally this is how it is safely disassembled

[IMG]

Seems to work fine actually. Don't think I ever have to worry about the poor design of the inserts.:thumbsup:
  14. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    I like your solution, using the studs.

IMO using a power drill or electric wrench on delicate fasteners, is asking for trouble.
  15. bm36 Husqvarna
    AA Class

You will most likely end up with spinning inserts even if gently tightened. Like I did.

A more simple solution to this "problem" could be to install a soft washer on the original bolts (plastic or similar). I have not tried this and it would not be as bulletproof as the solution I am trying, but it would most certainly be an improvement.:thumbsup:
  16. redlig23 Husqvarna
    C Class

is there somewhere i can order these online because one stripped out on my 610:eek:
  17. bm36 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I'll guess no. I made them myself. A simple version would be to buy a UNC 7/16-14 bolt and drill and cut a M5 thread in the centre of the bolt.

Perhaps a manfacturer could start making these for us? Motosportz?:notworthy:
  18. Phoenix Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TXC 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    2 Ducs, 14 GG 200, 13 Husa 300
    You should manufacture a batch and sell them! We have stripped one too. :D
  19. bm36 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I shared this solution to you fellow husky owners as a fix to a irritating problem. I have no intention to try to earn money from you. I also live in Sweden (the origin country for husky :sweden:). To make these rather simple components and transport them halfway around the earth.....:confused:

I'll guess I could post a drawing here at the forum if someone is interested?
  20. Riksha Husqvarna
    AA Class

With only 813 miles logged so far, I managed to spin one insert when the plastic tank was warm.

Envious of those machined shouldered washers :notworthy: I looked around and found a similar shouldered washer. Hoonda p/n 90520-134-000. Not perfect but it works with a correct diameter washer underneath and a stainless bolt cut to length....

Sure would be cool to be able to buy those shouldered washers

Attached Files: