1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc '09 WR125/Updated Power Valve Ride Report

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Norman Foley, Jun 21, 2009.

1. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    I did a long ride today with the updated power valves and my suspension revaled and lowered 1" by A.C.E.

The power valves make a big difference in the mid range. There is no longer a slight pause as the motor spooled into the mid, it's right there now. With the stock pipe and jetting it has all the bottom and possibly lost a touch of top end. Traction was at a premium today after 3+ days of rain, so that may have been a contributing factor (Still running FIM tires, kind of used to them now.).

The suspension worked very well in all sorts of stuff. Nasty braking and acceleration bumps I would try to ride around on the stock forks, just get soaked up now. Wet rocks and roots also just get sucked up, where as the stock forks would get you deflected big time. Stock shock wasn't bad, but I now have greater flexibilty in settings....... Deep South Jersey sand whoops on one end, my local riding with lots of slick off camber roots and junk and then Pennsylvania and New England Rock Gardens with little or no dirt at the other end.

I'm a happy guy right now!:D
  2. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Great report Norm, I hope many other wr125 reports with updated power valves happen soon.
  3. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Thats cool I am glad the new power valve worked out the mid range bug. Now tell me more about the suspension work as in: What did it cost is you if don't mind? Did the 1" drop make a difference? Is it possible to drop a 125 1-1/2" - 2" without doing bad things to the bikes handling? What is the turnaround time on it? Thanks, John
  4. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Hey Norm, I think this part might be a great review in the common topics area. What do you think? ACE might benefit and then this thread could focus on the wr125 power valve.

We could even post a link in that thread from this thread. That way 2 different discussions would not be happening at once. I think the people looking for suspension recommendations may not think to look in this thread 2 years from now.
  5. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sounds good!:thumbsup:
  6. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Rode the bike again today and it's working well. It's getting pretty humid here now, so I'm going to jet down for the Summer weather. I'll report later in the week.:cheers:
  7. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    My updated powervavles are installed. And...

470 main
    32.5 pilot
    kit needle in the middle position
    4.0 slide
    Doma pipe off an 04 CR
    PC SA muffler off a 04 CR

Runs hard top to bottom. Love it. A little rich in the mid so I am going to try the leaner slide and/or needle positions and see if i can get the last 5% from her. LOVE the bike. Going to send the suspension off soon.

New PV's on the right

[IMG]

New PV's on the left, note much larger cut out...

[IMG]
  8. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    Thanks for the pics Kelly! Are the PV's easy to change out? Since our CR is not getting them as part of its "upgrade" I may order them and do it myself.

As far as your rich mid, I'm wondering if your 470 main might be contributing a little to that. I know it should be the needle, but when I tried a 470 main in the CR, it began gurgling from about 60% throttle all the way up. The plug also read very rich with the 470. At one point I went down to a 450 during the experimentation stage and it was obviously too lean (bogging and white plug tip). I'm back with the 460 now and things are crisp from mid to top. Just a thought.
  9. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    First off I don't think you need the PV's I believe the CR's came with the correct ones. They were very EZ to replace...

Note: if you do them yourself note thet to get the rod out that the powervalves are hooked to you turn the shaft until you find the spot where it will come out. Very simple once you understand this.

I took lots of pix if anyone needs help replacing them.

As for the main I think I am about right but might try the 460. I think it is that I put in the rich slide. This helped the mid a lot when the PV's were bad but might be causing it to run rich now. Don't get me wrong the bike RIPs and runs very good. It is a very slight rich condition that could be left alone but in the name of making it get better mileage and spooge less I'm going to try the lean slide / needle position and maybe the 460 main.
  10. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Pix...

- BTW, the 125 is a joy to work on. nothing in your way, everything is super simple and EZ to get off. The carb does not need removed as it connects tot eh case not the cylinder. :cheers:

Powervalve tops...

[IMG]

All apart...

[IMG]

Wonder if the CR has these crank stuffers in the crank?

[IMG]
  11. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    Thanks for the latest pics:thumbsup:

I forgot you messed with the slide and main to help your mid prior to getting the new valves. :doh: I was thinking about things from a stock CR perspective and forgot about the things you did to make your WR rideable while waiting for the valves. :banghead:

Glad to hear it's screaming for you now! :thumbsup:
  12. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    Thanx Kelly.

Good to have pictures to fall back on if one gets into any troubles.

But it does look pretty straight forward. :thumbsup:

We haven't heard any more news on them up here in Canada.:excuseme:
  13. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I got a call from Bottone's service manager Harvey today. He said he did a power valve update on a customers bike and re-jetted it as well. The bike had the recommended Power Up jetting, stock pipe and silencer. He went down one size main jet to 450 and dropped the needle to 2nd position from the top. He said it ran very crisp and strong. Temps here have been from 60-90F and humid. I swapped mine tonight and will be riding tomorrow, taking mileage on my club's hare scrambles course. I'll report back.
  14. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I rode today...... Temps 80F+, humid, 1500-2000'. The bike ran awesome, very crisp, but smooth and easy to control in the slick as snot conditions after about 3" of rain in the last two days. I'm not sure I need a 200!:cheers:
  15. skid Husqvarna
    A Class

how about a 144??
  16. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Skid......my 07 WR144 is for sale and not far from you.........
    Joe
  17. skid Husqvarna
    A Class

damn ....
    there is already an 08 cr on its way up from WV.
    I would have been interested in a test ride on that 144.
    at 3K for the 08 I was kind of figuring if I wanted more grunt I could 144 it over the winter.
    might have been able to get right to it!!
    marcmo0 likes this.
  18. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I'm not sure I need a 144..... This is the best 125, I've ever ridden!:D More rain last night and this morning made the Hare Scramles course (12 miles) super slick. The little 125 just eats it up!:cheers:
  19. cb250txc Husqvarna
    AA Class

Norm

What jetting do you have now? I see the 450 main what pilot and slide are you running. I am picking up my 125 tommorrow with the new power valves and wanted to see where I should start as far as jetting goes.

Thanks

Chris
  20. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Chris,
    4.0 slide, Power Up Kit needle (sorry, can't remember the number) with clip 2nd from top, 450 main, 45 pilot, air screw 1.5 turns out.

My inclination would to have gone down on the pilot, but the thing runs great. I was arrowing trail, with it idling a lot..... no loading up, no fouled plugs.