1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Stripped threads in crankcase

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by fotosaurus, May 21, 2009.

1. fotosaurus Husqvarna
    AA Class

The threads in the crankcase that allow attachment of the ignition cover on my 76 250 WR are stripped. The hole in question is the bottom left. They were already damaged when I bought the bike and the previous owner just gobbed on sealant to keep water and dirt out. Has any one made a repair like this before? Is it ok to tap a size up? Is there a concern with overcutting and causing a leak into the crankcase or is there enough material there to allow this type of repair (OR is there even a way a path could be created internal to the case)? I can't tell how far in the threaded portion is.

Maybe you have tried something else with success...any thoughts???

Thanks,
    Mark
  2. razornpc Husqvarna
    AA Class

drill it and tap it out for the stock sized bolt, they make really small helicoil sets just for this kinkd of thing. go to a napa or fastenal and they will either have it or be able to order the stuff you need. will be around $30 but youll have the stuff next time you need to fix some bad threads.

also buy the propper sized drill bit when your at the store.
  3. fotosaurus Husqvarna
    AA Class

Great advice guys! My next concern was finding a larger bolt with a head that would match the other three. This way I can use an original.

Thank you.

:applause::applause:
  4. HuskyT Moderator

Foto,

Take pics start to finish , include helicoil sizes , drill bits etc.... post up your process and procedure for all to see.... (Only if you want to of course)

T
  5. rajobigguy Administrator

6. Fattony23 Husqvarna
    B Class

I dont know how bad the threads are stripped but you can try wrapping the bolt with some teflon tape, it should give you enough torque on the bolt.

Its not really a sealed surface so you dont need to crank the bolts down to hard

Im not positive but I think the case is magnesium and cutting threads into that can go bad real quick.
  7. fotosaurus Husqvarna
    AA Class

There is some thread engagement but not enough to get the torque I need to make the cover seal. You make a good point about not needing too much torque to seal so I will try some teflon tape and see what happens. If not I will explore either the helicoil or timeserts option.

Either way T I will post an update with pictures and process instructions that I follow. I just finished taking the engine out and fenders off this morning!
  8. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    Rajo is right.:thumbsup:
    Helicoils are great but they are not made for repeated use. I have seen them leak by also best to use a proper sealer when installing.

Not sure mere teflon tape will do the trick for ya either...but no harm in try'n I guess.

Locktite makes a product call "Thread Repair" I've used it and it works just fine. Follow the instructions.
    It works best with a thread that is not completely stripped like yours.
    I would also get a "Bottoming tap" this will give you 1-3 more threads at the bottom of the blind hole. (You will have to measure the length of your new bolt to the length of your new hole. Making sure you utilize the new thread you now have.