1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc First ride - 09 WR125

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Motosportz, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Finally got out on the new WR125. The bike is pretty much everything I had hoped for. Fantastic for what is it (125) and what I would have to consider the most developed 125 offering going.

The ride - This was a bit trial by fire as I joined 2 A Enduro guys, one last years Enduro champ and hit the upcoming enduro course for "practice" These guy move right along and while not a full race speed still a very good pace. the first few miles were interesting. I liked the bike immediately but had to become accustom to a totally new bike ASAP. Also this area is what is basically hard baked clay with marble to fist size river rock on it, much better when wet but skatey when dry like it was for most the day. Not necessarily hard to ride on but can be tricky and takes some getting used to.

power - Since it is a 125 we will start here. Compared to my very good running 04 CR125 husky with Doma pipe the 09 WR125 has more bottom and a good bit more top. I have ridden a 07 WR125 and found it soft on top and overall a lot less rip than my 04 CR. I had really hoped i had not given up the top end rip going with the WR. Happy to report that was not the case. The WR flat RIPS on top and seems to pull a lot longer. It does have a slight flat spot in the jetting as i have it now but still is better than the CR top to bottom. Once i sort the mid range jetting this motor is going to be everything i had hoped for. It is a 125 and needs to be ridden like one. I traded off with Scott on his championship winning 07 YZ250 with rekluse and LTR suspension and it felt like a KX500 in comparison :D

Suspension - Very good stock. the rear is under sprung for me but did a remarkable job of being very controlled and soaked up everything. the forks were slightly on the firm side but very good as well. Once dialed for me I have no doubt the suspension will be anything short of fantastic. I would rate it very highly as is and with some break in and setup it will be as good as anything.

Handling - Ridiculous. Feels like the bike weighs nothing and can be thrown into corners with reckless abandon. This is where a 125 shines and this one is top of the heap IMHO. I have always LOVED the 08-09 frames and how they turn and when I saw the 09 125 with this frame i had to have it. It delivers big time. Once i have the right rear shock spring and the suspension set up I can't imagine how there could be a better turning bike. I have to readjust my thinking because if i thought about the upcoming corner to soon I was correcting before i got to the corner. Think about turning and you are turning. It took some reprogramming of what can be done on a bike. i still am far from finding it's limit.

Ergos - Perfect for me. Love the way the bike feels, the light controls, the great seat, the tiny feel, the bars (taller than stock), everything. this bike feels like it was designed for me. Again, love that 08-09 frame geometry / feel.

After almost 50 miles of tight 1-3 gear single track chasing 2 A level Enduro guys on a YZ250 and KTM200 i have to say this bike impressed me. Yes, it is a 125 and not for everyone, i knew that going in. It takes a commitment to a different riding style. I really liked the bike and it is what i had hoped it would be. One huge thing i notice over my TXC450 if the lack of being worked. i don;t know if I would have been slower of faster on the 450 (I'm guessing slightly slower here) but one thing i do know is i would have been much more worked after the ride. The lack of rip your arms out power and high placed weight on the 125 works you so much less. I feel much less "run over by a buss" feeling the next day and feel i could ride a lot longer on the 125. A friend of mine who has some 125 experience put it this way and it makes a lot of sense to me... 125's are more work mentally but a lot less physically.

Sorry I did not get many pix as we did not take a lot of brakes as they wanted to practice for the upcoming race.

[IMG]

[IMG]

River rock littered forest. Some of the trails were so tight here (fresh cut for the upcoming enduro) You had to fan the clutch in 1st. None were more than 3rd gear and that was just for a second.

[IMG]

[IMG]

Mr. fast guy Scott...

[IMG]

and usually all i see of him...

[IMG]

[IMG]

Really good stuff. :thumbsup:
  2. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    I like the bike much better now! It is dirty! :D

Couple of questions -
    did it come with a kickstand? Or is it the one you sell for the TXC?
    Miles per tank wild guess?
  3. surfer1100 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WR250, Memories of past tiddlers.
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM-01 EN 125, 03 125 MX, 09 EN 155
    Nice report! I'm extremely jealous! I have a feeling an 09 or 10 will be joining my 07 in the garage before the year is out.:busted:

When you refer to the 07 are you talking about NWet's ride with the 36 PWK, or is it someone elses bike with old TMX?

Ya gotta get the headlight on that thing, keep it true to its heritage. I am guilty of not running the headlight, but I'm gonna run one for both enduros and scrambles next season.

We need to chip in and get Kelly a helmetcam the footage and that 125 scream would be phenomenal.
  4. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    From the maker of some of the worst kick stands comes a great one. Super nice cast aluminum one stock and excellent.

[IMG]

As for mileage i am guessing 45-50. packed 80oz and there was little left at just over 47 miles.
  5. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    yep. i think i have ridden it with both carbs though. Mark?

I'll be running a trail tech X2 on it.

i would love to get some cam footage. Greg (oineater) has a nice one and i ride with him sometimes. Maybe something will come of it. :thumbsup:
  6. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Nice! Thanks for the info! :thumbsup:
  7. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

My bike is actually a 06 with 07 plastic. It only had the TMX for about 4 hours so it always had a PWK on it when you saw it. It was way lean on the needle the time you rode it in Washington and a little rich the day your rode it at Ginger Creek (picky little bike). Still it sounds like the new motor has a lot more rip.

I'm sometimes amazed at what that little motor will chug up. Last weekend a couple 450s behind me on some steep climbs were quite surprised too. Hard to believe the motor is even better now. My bike does seem to sign off kind of early so I am glad to hear the new one has a more CR like top end. I think I want the 50s and the new frame the most though.
  8. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Thanks, was not sure (obviously). Your bike does chug for a 125 but i miss the top end.
  9. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    Kelly did you run the stock sprockets?

I notice a big improvement when I put a 52 on the back.

I'm starting to like this bike more and more but still miss the (rip your arms off power) when you twisted the throttle.:D
  10. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Ran the stock gearing. Ran much lower gearing on the 04 CR125. This could used geared lower.
  11. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    Good report! Ergos leave '06-'08 in the dust. I'm short, but run the bars in the high position for effortless standing.

Like you said, great CR like top end that my '02 WR125 never had and great bottom end. I think the Power Now helps the mid, but I'm thinking the power valve, pipe and silencer upgrade that's coming will fill the mid in.

The old 125 was the best handling Husky ever and the '09 has it topped. A combination of all the lightness and flickableness of a 2 stroke, with almost 4 stroke like front end traction. I've been impressed with it even with the stock FIM tires. I posted earlier that riding on slick off camber grass track, I got on the gas too hard in a corner and did a 270, but never lost the front end and rode out of it. My old 125 would have had me flat on the ground!

Like Kelly said.... It's more a thinking game, but really tires you out less than the physical game of a larger bike.