1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

New IMS tank tight fit

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Joliet, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Joliet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Friday I went to install the new IMS tank from Halls. By far the hardest part was pulling the steering apart to get the Motosportz damper off. However while I was in there I greased the steering bearings. They had quite a bit of grease on them from the factory.

When I went to set the tank on initially, it would not fit down on the locator pins in the back. I did some measuring and found the molded holes in the tank were almost 1/4" too far apart.

So I made a simple jig with some 1/2" drill bits and a scrap of wood. Drilled most of the way through the wood and left the drill bits in. I drilled the holes the same distance apart as the locator pins on the bike. In my case 5.78" apart.
    [IMG]

I then put the jig in the holes in the new tank (I am showing pics of the stock tank because I didn't take pics as I was doing the IMS tank)
    [IMG]

Put a clamp on the drill bits and put some pressure on it. Then I applied some heat with a heat gun to the drill bits and around the holes on the tank.
    [IMG]

Be careful not to put too much heat on the tank, it is quite close to the fuel pump area. You don't want to distort the seal around the fuel pump. I would just apply some heat and keep tightening the clamp slowly as it moved.
    Once I got the jig to the same measurement as the posts on the bike, I let it cool for an hour before removing the clamp and jig.

When finished the tank fits very snug with no movement even before the front bolt and seat were installed. So far I really like the tank, I don't notice it being any wider than the old one and the cap area does not stick way up in the air like the older Clark tanks.

[IMG]

[IMG]

Later, :)Ken
  2. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    I continue to be amazed at the level of ingenuity of Husqvarna riders.

NICE!
  3. GoFaster Husqvarna
    AA Class

What is the heat source you would use, hair dryer?
  4. Joliet Husqvarna
    AA Class

I used a heat gun.
    [IMG]
    I don't know if a hair dryer would get hot enough, but it might. During the process I kept feeling the tank to make sure I was not getting it too hot. I used the minimum amount of heat to get things to move. Most of the heat went directly onto the drill bits themselves.
  5. Hoder Husqvarna
    B Class

Good idea but I'm surprised the pump mounting surface stayed flat. Most of us (carbed) 610 owners found the same fit problem but after warming the tank (in the sun, hot water, whatever) it fit fine. Mine was off front to rear about 3/8 I think but it's fine now.
    Were the holes deep enough where the pegs go? I had to use (automotive)radiator rubber mounts to space mine up.
  6. Joliet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Yes the holes are deep enough. The tank has two rubber bumpers back further that set down on the frame and if the holes were not deep enough the bumpers would not sit down on the frame. If that was the case the seat would not fit in either. The tabs on the seat, that lock into the frame are what holds down the rear of the tank. Ken
  7. Poopy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WB165
    Perhaps the title should be changed though, maybe to "IMS tank customizing" or "How to install a new IMS tank"

:D:D:D:D
  8. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    I wonder if all "clear tanks are gonna fit like that...
    My black one fit perfectly to my 510, no extra work required.
    Hell Jeff even sent the two extra 6 mm bolts for the back rubber mounts

Just need some perforated decals so the bike doesn't look like Darth Vader:eek:
  9. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    I believe the way it works is the thread starter can double click just to the right of the title then edit the title, but other members cannot. Let me know if that is not true.

At the moment thread titles can be changed for 6 months so people can update the titles in the classifieds.
  10. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

As an alternative to using a heat gun what about pouring a few gallons of very hot water into the tank to warm the plastic and allow it to mold or shape more precisely where required?
  11. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    Hmmmm. That reminds me. :(

When I went to change my tank, my bike was sitting with the sun hitting it on the left. I got all the little 5mm screws out of the tank except for the one holding the left side panel on in front. The brass insert in the tank twisted inside the tank:eek:
    Now it's F#*ked.
    I have welded plastic at work before and I guess I'll be try'n to re-weld the insert back in the old tank...lucky it happened to the old tank and not my IMS one !!!
    Moral of the story, If at all possible Don't take out the 5mm bolts in the direct sun light...when the tank is soft and plyable.:cool:
  12. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    Good job Joliet. Sorry you had to go through all that.

My natural IMS did fit down on the rear pins, but the bumpers were off the sub frame about an 1/8".

I think the OE tank just has some insert problems. My left side middle was screwed from the get-go. I went to take it out the first time and it would just spin.

I like to put a little grease in the inserts of the panels. I had a dealer tell me once to put soap in them, but that's one of the last things I'd stick on brass. Guess he wanted to sell me a new tank.
  13. SwitchThrottle Husqvarna
    A Class

HuskyDude, lets see a pic. Lotsa clear ones, but I want a black one, and am only holding off cause I wanna see what it looks like.
  14. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    Kelly did a write up here with his tank.
    But here's a quick pic of mine...pretty much the same.
    I'm sure once Jeff from "Halls" or Kelly from "MotorSportz" (New face lift on his site very cool) figures out the decals ...you won't tell the difference from old to new.

[IMG]

Hope that helps ya.
  15. SwitchThrottle Husqvarna
    A Class

Thanks HuskyDude. Not sure how I missed that. I guess I need to spend more time on this site reading everything :D
  16. gandalf Husqvarna
    AA Class

Any thoughts on why mine isn't fitting correctly? The holes do seem to line up just fine, but when I push the top front of the tank onto the mounting point and start to tighten the bolt, the back lifts up about 3/8". I've checked and it doesn't seem to have anything between the tank and the frame that would lift it up.
  17. gandalf Husqvarna
    AA Class

After looking at it some more, my problem may be similar except that it seems the holes are far apart on the new tank to start on the posts but not far apart enough for it to sit down. Anyone think it's okay for it to sit up a bit? Will the seat help hold it in place? I'm heading up to the NE gathering tomorrow and I just don't think I have time to attempt to heat and change the way the holes are. I really don't even have enough time to buy what I need to do it.
  18. gandalf Husqvarna
    AA Class

And after looking a little more, I don't think the holes are the issue. They sit in there just fine and all the way until I push the front of the tank onto the mounting post. The mounting post seems a bit off center too(almost a 1/4"!). I think I'm going to give up and put the stock tank back on...just don't have any more time to spend on this before tomorrow. Maybe I got one that is off a bit? I might just sell it. Most of the time I don't need the extra range, but it sure would be nice. I know I sound like a quitter and this time it just may be true.
  19. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
    When I first put my natural tank on it seemed to sit up and the bumpers didn't touch (about a 1/2"). I pulled it off put it back on, maybe massaged it on a little differently and it finally set down on the bumpers and just as importantly the seat would fit. At first I was going to have to just have the seat fit on the mid hooks and the screw at the back as it didn't want to engage the front post on the tank. All's well now and I rode it in the Baja ride so seems OK to me.

TE250 08
  20. gandalf Husqvarna
    AA Class

Good to know, thanks. I did try on and off many many times hoping it would massage on. Since I'm out of time for this weekend, I put the stock tank back on and I'll try it again next week and see how that goes. I'd be less concerned about it if the tank didn't seem off center. I will give it another shot though. Thanks for letting me know how your install went.