1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

How to check valves on a 2006 4stroke - video

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Coffee, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Centerline likes this.
  2. bullygrip Husqvarna
    B Class

Hi Coffee is a sm510 or 610 pretty much like your video?
  3. Colo moto CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    7602racing.com
    All the 250/450/510 huskys are the same as in Coffee's video. The 610 is a completely different animal.
  4. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    Although maybe not true in all cases. When you pick up a new bike.(Husky)

It will come with a very in depth "Owners manual" Explaining all.:thumbsup:

Any where from "How to remove your seat, to checking your crankshaft play with a dial indicator.

And if you really like to wrench you could always get a "Shop Manual" from your local dealer. They come in a CD format.

The video on here along with your Owners manual for reference is priceless.
  5. gandalf Husqvarna
    AA Class

Quick question, I want to check/adjust my valves but don't want to take the time to take off my gas tank because I have to remove the steering dampener clamp and just don't feel like it. My question is, do I really need it removed? Can't I just deal with the reduced working space and still get to my valves for checking/adjusting?
  6. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
    Probably possible on the TE 250. I don't think George removes the tank to do it......unless he's doing other stuff too.

There's a lot more room between the valve cover and tank on the 250 over the 450 or 510.
  7. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I highly recommend taking the tank off if you are going to make an instructional video about checking the valves, otherwise it would be harder to get the video. :p

Otherwise it is probably not a necessary step on a 250.
  8. sidquick Husqvarna
    B Class

my owners manual has nothing its ueseless only tells you bout all the controlls and wat liquids it needs to run on :(
  9. jwdirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

My exhaust shims are 2.25 and they were pretty tight. What is the next size of shim that I should get. Thanks
  10. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I believe they come in 0.05 mm increments so the next size would be 2.20, right?

That means if you are on the edge of meeting spec because they are too tight, then you go to the next size, you will be on the edge of being too loose.
  11. rabskyline Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 te250r
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yer maw !
    sorry for being ignorant but are these to be checked at TDC on all shims ? if so, whats the spec/tolerances for them.. mine doesnt seem to rattle and runs perfect but just for future ref.... also, does the husky have any signs if needing done ? rattling or running issues ? my old xr rattled when it needed adjusting..
  12. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    You should definitely check your valves. Yes TDC with lobes (sorta) pointing towards each other slightly and up. The specs are in the manual I don't recall them at the moment. Mine (2006) were really tight from the factory.
    Centerline likes this.
  13. jwdirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks for the quick response coffee so I'm going to bug you again. I picked up some 2.2 shims and they are still to tight could it be possible that I need to go to 2.15 or have I messed something up. I am 99% sure I am at TDC it's really not that difficult white mark lined up and lobes kind of pointing in. I checked my valves at 35hrs and they were snug but still within spec. I now have 50hrs could they have tightened up that much?
  14. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    No good deed goes unpunished :lol:

My valves, and almost everyone else's valves do not move. Not like other brands.

My educated guess would be that you are not at the correct mark. There are a few marks on mine. Point the lobes up, symmetrically towards each other - there should be a mark there. You need to measure when all 4 valves are as closed as possible at the same time i.e. the most clearance

You should be able to get some feeler gauge in there to calculate the size shim to go to. :)
    Centerline likes this.
  15. jwdirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Good one!

So I guess it was the 1% of time when I was wrong. I apparently didn't have it at TDC and now when I put the original shims back in and actually put it at TDC everything is fine. Thanks.
  16. jmetteer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC300 CR125 CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250F, TRANSALP

That should be "closed as possible", just don't want to confuse people. :)

Later,
  17. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    That has bitten me more than once!

Got it, it has been changed. That is what I get for not being 'with it' when making posts.
  18. sallydog Husqvarna
    AA Class

where can i get a shim kit or individual shims?
  19. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    You could get 9.48mm shims almost anywhere, they are the same as on many other bikes such as Honda/Yamaha - or it might be easy & less expensive to contact Motosportz. Last I checked they had the sets fairly inexpensive.
    Centerline and gandalf like this.
  20. sallydog Husqvarna
    AA Class

thank you
    gandalf likes this.