1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc Thoughts on design for 09 125 skid plate, your input wanted...

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Motosportz, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    In thinking about the design for the 09 125's I wanted to run something by you guys. On my 04 I hate how when crossing logs, which we do a lot if you don't get clear over to the frame the tree can get stuck in the inverted V the pipe and frame make. Also the pipe seems very venerable. I hand built a quick solution that works well and allows me to tackle logs like I was on a 4 stroke. See this pix (sorry, I'll find a better one). Let me know how many would be interested in a skidplate / lower pipe guard combo.

Thanks.

[IMG]
  2. surfer1100 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WR250, Memories of past tiddlers.
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM-01 EN 125, 03 125 MX, 09 EN 155
    I'd have to see some better pics to really get a feel for the design, that being said it makes sense especially if it displaces the force away from the pipe.

It may be in your best interest to make that portion of the plate easily removed, for those who would not need it.

I can't wait to see your 09 all Msportzd' out like you did with the TXC.:thumbsup:
  3. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

I would second making the pipe protection easy to remove. Actually if it could be purchased separately I would be interested since I already have a skid plate. Maybe this way it would work on 09 and the older models. It seems that it would work with any skid plate if you just drilled the mounting holes.

I saw Kellys bike in person and liked the idea a lot. It seems like it woudl also reduce the amount of mud that builds up around the exhaust.
  4. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    I wanted to wait till I looked at the skid/glide plate which Husky sent with the bike. It's made out of (I think) ABS plastic.
    Very light weight which is a asset to keep overall weight down.
    But I can't help but think it would only last one good bush ride.
    Aluminum would be a good choice. Carbon Fiber would be better.
    I really think doing something with the expansion chamber is paramount.
    This is differently the Achilles Heal of this bike. When dealing with windfall.
    A removable pipe guard would be a good idea along with a good design skid plate but really I think once mounted on the bike, the only time it would be coming off would be to straighten it.:D
    Because most riders don't have access to a welder and maybe most would prefer a strictly "bolt on" unit. That would be the way to go.
    But if it comes to strength and if something had to welded I would go that route.
    Kelly if you get a spare minute snap a few close up pics of your guard on the 04.:cheers:
  5. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thats a cool pic. As usual. :thumbsup:
  6. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Did this skid plate ever get built? I saw one for the new 250f and though it might work but I do not know if the engine cradle is the same.
  7. Last Lap Husqvarna
    A Class

I like the idea of carbon fiber. More flex and not as noisy and does not transmit vibration as much.
  8. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    Engine cradles are different. I like my P3 carbon/kevlar one, It's taken a beating.
  9. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
    Uptite makes skid plates for 2 strokes that protect the pipe. Don't have a pic but have seen them in the shop.
  10. HomeFinance Husqvarna
    A Class

Ride a 4 stroke. Problem solved !:doh:
  11. speedkills Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 CR125
    Other Motorcycles:
    CR500AF
    I think this is why there hasn't been a huge rush for everyone to replace their stock units. They are quieter than aluminum, actually quite strong (both Kelly's and mine have held up to quite a few log crossings including ones where I have wheelied the front end over a log and bashed the plastic plate right into the log, and if you do destroy them they are cheap to replace.

The first goal on an aftermarket part has to be better in some way than what it is replacing (better strength, performance, value, whatever) and I think the bang for your buck on the stocker is enough that it will take a pretty slick design to make people buy a part that is cheap to replace if it ever breaks and works well enough stock.

That is unless he anodizes it red, in which case I'll buy it just to make my bike look cool :thumbsup:
  12. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Shane,

Don't you wish the stocker covered the frame where it swells out to support the footpeg, swing arm, and up. I mash the crap out of something(Rock, Log, culvert) at least once a ride against that area. :banghead:

Walt
  13. speedkills Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 CR125
    Other Motorcycles:
    CR500AF
    I wouldn't mind if it covered the frame guards but any method of protecting them would be fine by me, I would also be fine if it didn't cover them as long as it hung down a little lower to make sure the skid plate got hit first.

I may be more partial to plastic skid plates than I should be due to my mountain biking background. In downhill mountain biking aluminum bash guards were the way to protect your front sprockets from getting bent as you went over rocks and logs. Eventually someone introduced a plastic guard and at first pretty much everyone was skeptical, it's going to break was what we all thought, but it didn't. Turned out not only were they tough as hell, they cleaned up easier because they were so slick and more importantly made it easier to get over rocks and trees because they slid over them instead of grinding you to a halt like aluminum would on a rock. They are amazingly tough, impacts that were bending aluminum bash guards weren't harming the plastic units at all.

Now it probably wouldn't make much difference on a dirt bike with the extra contact area and increased weight/momentum pushing you forward but if someone came out with a skid plate made of this stuff I would be first in line to try it out. http://www.e13components.com/product_turbocharger.html

Especially if it was red but clear ain't half bad.
  14. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Shane,

Maybe Kelly can get something as an add on to the stock plastic plate. Make it go under the back of the existing plate with bolt attachment there and come up and attach to both sides of the footpeg pin. I don't know just a thought, but maybe you can twist the arms at Motosportz. :lol: That way I can use it in conjunction with the 3 plastic plates I have counting the one on it now. :D

Walt
  15. speedkills Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 CR125
    Other Motorcycles:
    CR500AF
    Don't you remember the size of those guns? I don't know that I'm up for grabbing on to one and trying to twist it. Besides, I'd have to catch him first and that sounds like an awful lot of work for my lazy ass.
  16. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

:lol: @ Shane. Let's go for a metaphorical twisting.
  17. Last Lap Husqvarna
    A Class

I do like the current plastic one...but I would like it to extend out on the left side of the engine to protect the stator and cover. My p3 skid plate on the 310 was awsome for that.
  18. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    Yep, this is exactly the protection I'm looking for. The plastic skid plate seems to do the trick for the stuff if actually covers, but the parts under my footpegs are hammered already.

WoodsChick
  19. tommytwostroke Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 WR125, 2017 TX300
    need to see a better pic! Looks effective though!
  20. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    :lol: My 45 YO carbon / water bags hanging from my torso can hardly be catoagised as "Guns" but thanks for greasing the skids for future cheap / free parts Shane, your a master. ;)