1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc Husky 125 gearing

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by ajaxauto, Mar 17, 2009.

1. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I see some of you guys talk of useing 13 /52 on your 125 instead of the stock 13/50
    I am thinking of gearing down my 2008 CR 125 for the following reasons

It is hard to get it to pull in 6 th and on the flat i shift back and forth between 5th and 6th
    First is plenty low no problem with first but in the tight turns if i want to rail them in second you need to hit them hard and use some clutch comming out .Thought it might work better with just a little lower second .But then would first be to low ,if you hit the hills just right i can pull most of them in second with just a little clutch action .Or slow down a bit and cruiz up in first
    So any one out there change there gearing for the same reason or do you woods rider just want a lower first
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I am at 12/52 with my 04. I ride tight stuff with STEEP hills. The very low gearing means I can climb hills much better. It also tackles the super tight walking speed, bend yourself around trees stuff a lot better. Additionally 2nd and 3rd seem more usable in the tight. I like it.
  3. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

I was running 12/50 but now I am at 13/52. I like this gearing a lot more.
  4. surfer1100 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WR250, Memories of past tiddlers.
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM-01 EN 125, 03 125 MX, 09 EN 155
    I'm still on my stock sprockets and haven't had much trouble when it comes to hills(we do have some hills in fla:busted:) or in the tight. The last race I did actually had some hardpack and hills, some with no run up, and at its worst the stock gearing forced me to use very controlled light clutch feathering. Even when the bike fell off the pipe she still crawled quite nicely...it does make me realize why you NW guys are running the 12 though, I think I'm going to try a 51 next, as I enjoy the top end when it opens up.

I was under the impression that 2nd gear on 08+ 125's was slightly lower just for the reason you mentioned Ajax "better drive coming out of turns". Although that may have been just for the WR( yet another reason fo Kelly to get the WR:D)

Adam
  5. BlueHusky144 Husqvarna
    AA Class

12/50 is my tight gearing, and 13/50 is for open courses. The 12/50 I hardly ever use 1st gear, so it makes 2nd and 3rd gear turns amazing. 13/50 I use 1st a bit and the clutch alot more in 2nd gear turns but is great for running down those 4ST's.
  6. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    I've run 13/51 on the '02 WR125 and I just put 13/52 on the '09. Stock 13/50 works fine even in the tight, but looking for more 2nd gear pull on the steep hills. 12/52 is just too deep for an all around gearing for me. I need some top end on long road sections in enduros, which can be as long as 9 miles on blacktop. I'm always late, so I have to ride the road sections at the speed limit, not the speed average!:busted:
  7. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

was a costly experiment but I tried 12/49 as 12/50 was too low and 12/52 was ridiculous...(Hell 2nd was almost too low/unusable)
    12/49 was nicer than 13/50 or 13/52

Just my 2 cents
    PS never did the division math on the ratios to see what is what..just what felt best
  8. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Mine is on a CR BTW not a WR. 12/50 or 12/52 works great for me.
  9. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Now i am really confused all i really need is a lower 6th because it is hard to get it to flat out in 6th.First is fine second would be asome just a tad lower other than that
    it is just about perfect for a 125. So it looks like i will try a 13/52 and see if it will pull
    6th in the flat out sand washes any better.After one year of racing the husky 125 i am still learning if you want to go real fast NEVER lift keep it pinned .When i asked my younger son last year how he rode his 125 he said turn the thing on the right all the way on never lift if you want to slow down hit the kill switch but never lift .That does work on big down hills i use the front brake and keep it in gear with my thumb on the kill switch until we hit the bottom they light her up and pin it .If i change the gearing can i still say it is bone stock with a FMF pipe .Next you guys will have me looking at those little things in the carb called jets,needels and clips .
  10. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    My ride bros are in shock when I ride by pinned all the time. Jake on this site is always shaking his head at me like WTF. The bike loves that. Makes the smile even bigger. Fun stuff.
  11. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Went out for 50 mile test ride today with my son and both bikes the 2006 and the 2008 with the 13/52 gearing.I just do not know yet it will take a race to see ,the lower gearing does let me get it to te top of 6th But then i feel like i am screaming it every where else.Now the bad news when i ride my old 2006 bike i hate to say it but i feel it handles better then my 2008 .Guest i will have to work on my 08 set up
    Question on the 2009 bikes
    is there a tank yet
    is there a shark fin
    is there rad guards
    is there a FMF pipe and spark arrestor
    is there a skid plate

or are we still waiting for them to be made how much of the 2008 stuff fits
  12. surfer1100 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WR250, Memories of past tiddlers.
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM-01 EN 125, 03 125 MX, 09 EN 155
  13. dubbs Husqvarna
    A Class

'06 WR and I like the 13/52 set up. Makes the bike feel like it has more power and I like the gearing for 2nd and 3rd in the woods. I have worn out my first 13/52 and I'm going with that again. This set up is bad when I have to do a short road ride with my TE friends. The top speed is cut way back I find. But who cares, the bike is for the woods!!!
  14. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Looks like TE guards are a little short legth (botom) (See post by Huskydude)
    Kellys stuff looks good as guards (See post by Huskydude)
    I always thought stock pipe from 06 and up was great enough
    SA on 09 looks like a slip on cure
    Skid plate is ????
    Would IMS or Clarke from 08 TXC fit??? Same frame and all

Just my thought as I too am now living vicariously through all the 09 WR125 Guys ()& is still singing loudly though when I get "antsy"
  15. razornpc Husqvarna
    AA Class

im thinking about going 13/51 or 52. who sells sprockets for our bikes though?
  16. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    Many options for rears.... OEM, Renthal, Sidewinder, Super Sprox, but simplest is Moose. They are availible through any Bike Shop that deals with Parts Unlimited.
  17. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Did my first race with the new gearing 13/52 Did the AMA National Hare and Hound
    Desert race .Well the 13 52 for me works great first is low enought to climb any hill ,make the bike feel like a trails bike.As for 6th it is now more usable but still i only got it pinned a few times in 6th .As for the race i had a great time finished 2nd in the 250 class and 4th against the open class .Bottom line for me the 13/52 is something i am glad i did and wished i had done earlier.
  18. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    I'm sure there are a lot of places, one of them is http://www.motosportz.com/ a sponsor of this site. :thumbsup:
  19. razornpc Husqvarna
    AA Class

for you guys running 13/52, can you still use the same chain that you use for the 13/50?
  20. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

I doubt the stock chain would work but I have never tried. I am using 2 more links.

While waiting for the stock chain to wear out I just used a 12t up front. The 13/52 is about half way between stock and 12/50.